Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Have a recipe for those brötchen? I've been wanting to do the same thing, because I really miss the delicious bread I ate in Germany as a kid. I found what looks like a good recipe on some German website but I've honestly never baked bread in my life. Suggestions would be appreciated.

On the subject of King Arthur flour, the recipe I translated called for diastatic malt powder, which seems difficult to find in the US except from King Arthur's website. Anyone know of other sources? If I could buy it locally that would be nice, but I'm thinking I'll just have to order online and wait for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Awesome, thanks. Here is the recipe I found and translated (mostly using Google Translate; my German sucks). My approximate US measurement conversions are in parentheses. I converted the flour types to US types too; I hope this was done correctly.

Kaisersemmel!! posted:

Starter:
10 grams yeast (~3.5 tsp [fresh/cake yeast??])
135ml water (~1/2 cup)
150 grams flour type 1050 (~1 1/4 cups first clear flour)

Dough:
350 grams type 550 flour (~2 3/4 cups all purpose flour)
5 grams diastatic malt powder (to taste)
10 grams salt
150 ml water (~2/3 cup)
20 grams butter/lard (~1/5 stick or 1 1/2 tbsp)

Mix all the ingredients for the starter smooth, let stand covered for about 30 minutes.

Knead the starter and the remaining ingredients into a homogeneous dough: First mix all ingredients except butter and salt, knead into a fairly stiff dough; then add butter in small pieces and salt and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and detaches easily from bowl.

Let the dough rest covered for about 20 minutes.

Make 10 portions and stretch into cylinders. Relax covered for 10 minutes, then roll each into an approximately 35 cm (~14 inch) long cable. Wrap this into Kaiser roll shape. Cover approximately 30-40 minutes.

Preheat the oven with a baking stone on the middle rack at 480° F.

Put rolls on a greased sheet and bake for about 10 minutes with a lot of steam (use a pan of water). Then open the door, let out steam, and bake another 10 minutes, reducing the temperature in the last 5 minutes to 430° F if desired.

This recipe I found merely said "yeast," so I don't know what type it would have meant. It seems to be a lot more yeast than in your recipe, but the starter also isn't supposed to rest as long so it would make sense. Still, is there a standard type of yeast used in Germany or was the recipe I found just unfortunately vague?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

My ingredients from King Arthur just arrived (at 10 pm; the UPS guy must be getting a lot of holiday overtime) so I've started work on my first ever batch of bread. I hope the inevitable disaster is tasty.

While I'm here, is a stand mixer worth it? Assuming this is tasty I hope to make it often. If so, any recommendations? (I know there are a few listed in the OP of the product recommendations thread.)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

:3:

It was ok for a first attempt.

Not only does it look way better than my first attempt the other day, she didn't destroy the kitchen in an unholy flour explosion, either. (Notice I never did post pictures of my attempt at kaisersemmeln last week :smith:.)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Tomorrow she will get to operate the standmixer, as she has understood the formation of gluten.

I will also have her wash out the gluten from some dough, and have her bake it to see what oven-spring is all about :) (that is how dad taught me, that is how I'm gonna teach my daughter.. also banjos).

We're having fun!

Sounds awesome. I cook with my friend's kids fairly often, because that's one of the few things her daughter and I both enjoy doing; but even then it often turns into "What, it's going to take more than ten seconds to make this whipped cream? *Hands bowl to Choadmaster.* Tell me when it's ready..." :argh:

You should do some Youtube videos like Leroy Diplowski does in the candy thread. I don't know anything about breadmaking and it sounds like you know how to teach it! (Mostly kidding; spend the time with your daughter and not us goons!)

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Thanks - I love them too.. Also they're cheaper than granite...

I just redid my kitchen and I too am jealous. I have one short empty space in a corner where I am now contemplating installing some more cabinets and a section of steel countertop. I'm going to quickly go broke if I keep reading GWS (I don't dare add up what I've already spent since I first poked my head in here a couple months ago... Yikes).

About those "buns" (thanks for the writeup!) were they for educational purposes only or are they something worth eating? Your description of the texture did not sound appealing.

Fwiw, I didn't even realize you weren't a native English speaker; your English is certainly better than mine (archaic "fosset" [faucet] notwithstanding :D ). Forums search seems to indicate you're Danish - and the product of a tragic supermarket discount purchase. I would never have known.