Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

Ugh. I suck at getting moist dough into the oven :(

Me too. I proof mine on baking/parchment paper then keeping the loaf on the paper I put it all on the stone. Usually after about 15-20 mins I take out the paper and rotate the loaf.

Here is some sourdough I made today

Overall I am pretty happy with it, but I would like to have more control over how sour/tangy it is. At the moment it is not very sour at all. What part of the process determines how sour it will be? I understand it is about acetic acid build up but I don't know how exactly to encourage that in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

Use a long cold rise to get the bread more sour. Let the formed loaves rise in the fridge overnight if you got room for them.

I will give it a go, but why does that work?

ps how is your bread going?

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

A longer rise give the lactobacteria in the sourdough more time to do their stuff. The sourness probably comes more from lactic acid than acetic acid, but both are products of the bacteria more than the yeast.

Wouldn't it slow any bacterial activity as well? Thanks though, I'll definitely give it a go. Do you think there would be any value in a second slow rise? Which would go something like this:

Mix/knead the dough
Slow ferment in the fridge 12-24 hours
Bring it to room temperature
Divide/shape
Slow proof in the fridge 12-24 hours
Bake

I usually have enough dough for 2 loaves so ill try both ways I guess.

quote:

I haven't been doing any sourdough for awhile, had problems getting my culture to actually make the dough rise. Tasted great, but every sourdough I baked came out flat and dense. I'll start up a culture again soon.

I'm mostly baking standard yeast bread now. My everyday bread is based on rågsikt, a flour mix made from 40% rye and 60% wheat. I like to put spices in my bread, things like coriander, caraway, aniseed and fennel. Finely chopped orange peel is really good in rye mix breads too.

I remember that. I still have no idea what might have been going on. It's taken me a long time to get to this stage where I feel I can make consistently decent bread, too long really. A lot of my problems were not kneading enough and not shaping it properly to form a decent skin, which is kinda hard to pick up from books, I still need more practise shaping. Also my oven is totally wack, it wasnt hot enough and I would also over bake which I still do a bit too.

Anyway I think now I'm gonna start messing round with different flours and ingredients. I really wanna try walnut bread and separately something with sundried tomatoes. Orange peel sounds weird. I miss the old food thread :goonsay:

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Another thing I was thinking goes like this:

The sour/stinky part is the starter, so it seems like the properties of the starter (hydration ratio, how it is prepared, maintained over time, etc) and the proportion of starter in the final dough should impact on the final flavour? Like if I wanted a strong flavour I should use more starter and just enough flour/water to make it workable and get the hydration Im after.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Why does my sourdough keep exploding out the side and not where its been scored :saddowns:

and yeah my oven was a bit too hot ...

crumb shot, i used about 30% rye flour, tastes real good

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 1, 2013

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Try scoring lenghtwise...

Also - you're letting your crust dry out too much in the second proofing probably - do you let them rise under a moistened towel?

The one at the back was scored lengthwise, it baked over then blew out in the corner there, admittedly less than the first one.

Nah I've been rising them under plastic wrap with a tea towel over it, I'll try dampen it a bit and make sure they are fully covered.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Does anyone want to take a guess what happened here?

It's after fermenting and proofing, there was a big tear on the top. I'm experimenting with getting a flavour I want, so more or less freestyled the recipe. Maybe it was too much yeast/starter? So it got over active? I used a little more flour than I usually would and kneaded it about the same/maybe a little longer as I usually do, so I don't think it was related to that.

It baked ok, had an ok rise, but you can see it blobbed out a bit once taken out of the proofing support. The rise wasn't super strong like I would perhaps expect if there was too much yeast.

Maybe I let it proof too long?

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 18, 2013

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

unixbeard posted:

Maybe I let it proof too long?

Pretty sure it was this, it proofed in the fridge then came out for about 4 hours. I've done exactly the same before with no problems, I think that day it was just unseasonably warm 23C/74F in the middle of winter ...

Made some more with a similar recipe, proofed for 2 hours and they were fine

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Try using even more flour. Like a lot more. I don't bother with hydration ratios any more, it totally depends on your flour absorbency, which can vary quite a bit so they are a guide at best.

Next time just keep kneading in more flour till it can hold a shape once you stop kneading for a bit. I never do strech & fold style kneading cause I hate having to baby sit dough all day. I just mix, knead for 15 - 20 mins then start the ferment/shape/proof cycle, so I dont know how you can work it in if you are doing stretch/fold/rest/repeat.

With higher hydrations you can definitely work in more flour and you will still get an excellent crumb. Arguably better cause it will typically give a stronger rise vs some super slack blob out dough, also particularly with larger loaves. There is a limit though, it will become quite stiff and difficult to work. Sometimes you can add flour and the dough becomes quite dry but after a bit more kneading it smooths out again, that's a good point to stop. A bit of experimentation and you will find what works for your flour.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah maybe I was a bit strong in my wording, I dont mean an extra 8oz or anything.

If you are new to bread/sourdough it is disheartening to try and bake loaves that cant hold a shape and never rise properly. It's also very hard to judge dough if you dont have a good understanding or intuition about what shape it is in.

The guy's dough is always flattening out and can't hold its shape, so I would suggest experimenting with more flour (2-4 oz per loaf) and then working down if the results are unsatisfactory.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Einwand posted:

So a few weeks ago I decided I wanted to make rye-bread following this recipe, and it turned out pretty nice. What I'm wondering is, can I safely replace a fair portion of the bread flour with rye flour in this recipe? The rye flavour was really weak, and I'd like to get a much stronger rye flavour from it.

Try 20% - 30% rye flour for the final dough. It has quite a strong flavour so you dont need that much for it to pervade. Also look at the colour of the dough. If its still quite dark you will be able to taste the rye. I dont particularly like overly strong rye flavour and I find 30% is too high for me, 20% gives that nice earthy taste and its amazing as toast.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Rurutia posted:

Oh my god, I finally did it. I finally made my ultimate loaf. It is so airy with uniform large holes in the crumb. The crust is flakey and almost pastry like. The flavor is complex and rich (it is a sourdough enriched 80% hydration sandwich loaf). It only took 14 hours of retarding, 8 hours of proofing, and an hour of autolyzing and kneading. Jesus christ. It is so soft and airy I have to place it on its side because the mushroom head is collapsing in on itself. It quintupled itself during proofing.

(Sorry for the green poo poo, it's pesto.)

That looks amazing, could you share the recipe?

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I use a bread knife with a wet blade, give it a spritz of water before cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

sourdough, about 10% rye flour