Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Almost every Friday, I bake three sourdough loaves for my son’s kindergarten. Always well received, but I was never really sure if the kids liked it or just tolerated it or what.

Yesterday, while waiting for my kid, a five-year old girl walked by, looked me dead in the eye, and said: “I like your bread the best.”

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Maybe it's temperature or maybe it's the fact that my home is nirvana for microorganisms, but I really don't understand the starter fuss.

My method: take spoonful saved from last time, add equal parts water and flower, mix, leave overnight at room temperature. Use this for baking, but reserve a spoonful. Place in airtight container in fridge. Repeat.

I've gone easily 2-3 weeks between bakes with no problems. And this way the only waste is what I can't be bothered to scrape out of the containers.

Protip: save a little bit in a container in your freezer, and you can use that to get things going in a pinch. Replace yearly-ish.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've only ever done a float test by accident when I dumped my starter into my water.

But y'all can start talking...

...because I'm all ears:

:smug:

Changed my shaping procedure. Preshape on counter, rest for an hour, then flip over, fold like a taco, hold for a few sec, then into banneton. Inspired by a post on the 'gram saying that if the flour is good and strong, one doesn't need to fold so aggressively.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
And then there is the challenger bread pan which is an extremely nice piece of kit that costs as much as your first car.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is this in a bread machine?

You should really get a digital scale and find a recipe that works in grams. Volume measurements for flour are notoriously imprecise.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone have a good resource on bulk ferment time and temp vs. cold ferment time and temp and what parameters affect what properties?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Allow me to, again, recommend the Varimixer Teddy. Between my brothers and my old man we now own four.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My wife brought home some bread from a restaurant that had that very dark brown, almost black, crust all around.

I tried to replicate it, but didn't quite succeed.

Currently, my bake is:

Preheat to 250C with a big honking baking steel.
Loaves go in along with a cup of boiling water in a pan in the bottom.
After 15 minutes I turn the temp down to 220C.
Take breads out after 18 minutes.

I tried to add 5 minutes to the 18, and then tried 200C/35 mins as the second phase, but both just became browner with a thicker, drier crust.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Ishamael posted:

Yes I do a 16 hr cold ferment in the bannetons, wrapped in a plastic bag. Great development of flavor, and helps the loaf hold a good shape during the initial spring.

Same here, about 12 hour cold ferment in bannetons (actually plastic ones with a cloth "hammock" in them)

I feel the 12 hours is too little, but 36 is too much. I need to try somewhere in the middle. Can't remember where I read it, but the dough takes forever to come down to fridge temps from room temps.

Here's a batch from this morning:

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm struggling with scoring lately. I don't know what causes the difference between this:

And this:

I feel as though they were the same recipe and procedure, and as far as I can recall there was virtually no difference in scoring either.

I usually bake four loaves every Friday morning, in batches of two, and I had a period where I would slam dunk four perfect ears every week. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, I had issues like you.

I think it comes down to scoring, how proofed the dough is and sometimes just luck. I think also the righthand loaf in my oven tends to not form an ear more often.

Just do what I do and bake several, there's usually one pretty one that can be seen by the public/posted on the 'gram.

bolind fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 24, 2023

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I just had a minor discovery.

Probably some combination of my oven and the fact that I always bake two loaves side by side, but the sides of my loaves crust/brown later than the tops. I’ve found that placing the scoring a bit further down the side gives me perfect ears 95%+ of the time. Visually it looks a biiit worse but I’ll take it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Looking for ideas for what to bake for my son's school.

• Needs to be able to be consumed straight, no cutting or spreading etc.
  • Individual servings (like a bun or a roll.)
  • Not crazy unhealthy.
  • Ideally not making a huge mess.
  • Bonus points for something that can be prepped ahead of time and just baked in the morning.

Imma need about 25 pieces.

bolind fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 19, 2023

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a cake recipe that's like:

100% flour
50% cold whole milk
5% active/fresh yeast
6% whole egg
15% sugar
1% salt
15% cold butter

This bread calculator says resulting hydration is 50.5%.

Recipe says to let it rise for 2-3 hours at room temp. I'd like to turn that into 8-10 hours so it can sit while I sleep, opinions on how much I should scale down the amount of yeast to hit that?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Cimber posted:

Put it in the fridge and cut the yeast in half.

I'd rather avoid the fridge if I can, I don't think I'd be able to fit it all.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've recently been baking chocolate chip buns - a fairly normal dough, not high hydration.

Compared to my normal sourdough bread, I feel that the rise/fermentation goes much slower. I have two theories as to why that is:

1) The dough contains about 10% (baker's percentages) butter, the fat content somehow slows things down
2) I form the buns right after mixing, and they spend the night on a stone countertop at roughly 22C. This acts as a heat sink, counteracting the heat generated by the exothermic process that is bulk fermentation, thus lowering the working temperature for the yeast cells, slowing the process down.

However, the dough also contains about 10% sugar, which should be a nice and carby snack for the little yeastiebeasties.

I read somewhere that sourdough in sweet doughs works slower, but there was no arguments given as to why.

Bonus question: I like to cover my buns with cling film dusted with flour, so they don't dry out. Problem is, it still sticks to the dough. I have some plastic proofing trays from Ooni that I've tried covering the buns with, but they're too small. Ideas?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It might be old news, but I recently stumbled upon https://www.the-sourdough-framework.com/ and it seems like a very good resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

beerinator posted:

I'm in Chicago (Logan Square) and might be interested in either or both of the cast iron cookers. I don't really know what the retail or normal prices would be since I don't know the brand but I will email you.

edit: I have dibs on both cast iron cookers.

Someone is getting a challenger for pennies on the dollar.