Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think I put a little too much water into my starter, like 2-3g, and there's a little liquid on top now. Can I just ignore that until the evening feed?

You are fine. My old kitchen scale wasn't very good and the tolerance was like 5g either way and my starter still survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Selfquoting into the new page, if anyone has any ideas what happened I'd really appreciate advice for another crack.

This is definitely undeprooved. Starter is not active enough for the rise time/temps you gave it.

Easy to solve - keep feeding that starter, and keep making small loaves to figure out your variables. Searching for help on under proofed dough will bring up some good tips.

I did not need to make any sandwich bread with my discard this week, so I made it into tasty crumpets instead!

100% whole wheat. Had to improvise the forms, so they came out more wide than tall. (That meant more crispy crust! Not a sacrifice at all, frankly.) They still split nicely and were delicious with strawberry jam.

Recipe from King Arthur Flour. Super easy and quick way to use up discard. It only adds sugar, salt, and baking soda to the batter so it is great for these flour-conscious times.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Made the usual 70% whole wheat sourdough sandwich bread this week!

Wanna try to Pullman loaf it sometime for funsies.

I save up my bread scraps and when I have about half a kilo I make bread pudding with them. This one had some pears and blueberries I needed to use up and was glorious with fresh whipped cream.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Sorry for the double post but I missed this on mobile and had to comment, as this looks amazing:

The Walrus posted:

made some bagels with my recently cultured strarter. I am pretty pretty pretty fuckin happy with how they turned out compared to previous bagel attempts with yeast

:drat:

Also apparently :bagl:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's the thread's favorite sourdough cinnamon roll?

I've made this with good results, though the last time I made it I ran out of AP and put like 2oz of potato flakes in instead. Worked fantastically so now it's a frequent sub in enriched breads.

If you like orange pastries, I highly suggest making an orange glaze to go with it. I winged mine; it involved mandarin oranges (juiced & zest), plus some orange and vanilla extracts mixed with the usual milk & powdered sugar. The glaze came out like a creamsicle atop a lovely cinnamon bun. :swoon:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm doing the overnight proof on this right now.

UK goons- do you use US recipes and find following US recipes seems to result in over hydrated dough? The sourdough loaf comes out fine but seems very sticky going in, and the Babka isn't as solid as I would imaging given I'll be rolling it out tomorrow. Do UK flours maybe want less water? I found I had to hydrate my starter less to get it going, it's maybe 2:1-ish flour and water.

US flour tends to be made from wheat with higher protein content (with a few notable exceptions) and protein is thirsty.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Sacred Cow posted:

I’m trying to figure out how to convert some yeast paste I got from a friend into recipes with dry active yeast. She originally said to take whatever the dry active grams are and double it but that resulted with my last bread attempt “exploding” while baking.

I also have a pizza dough in the fridge almost escaping the bowl I normally use for the first rise when I use dry active.

Hell I’m not even sure what it’s called. It’s a super sticky paste shaped in a little brick. Any help would be awesome.

I'd always heard divide/multiply by 3 for fresh yeast.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Rescue Toaster posted:

I've tried about 5 different recipes for a basic round white bread 'county' loaf in a dutch oven. And even with wildly different methods like no-knead vs mixer, multiday rests in fridge vs same day, instant vs active-dry yeast, different varieties of folding & shaping, bread flour vs AP flour, making a basic overnight 'starter' thing, etc... the result is always absolutely exactly the same.

1) The initial bulk rise/ferment works fine.
2) After knocking it down and shaping there is never any additional rise, it only settles out sideways.
3) There is absolutely zero oven spring/rise in the oven. (Using a preheated dutch oven at 450)
4) The outer crust is usually pretty good thanks to the dutch oven.
5) There are lots of air bubbles inside but they are all small/even, almost cake-like appearance.
6) The inside of the bread has an odd shiny/plastic-y/eggy texture that's very unpleasant.

I can't over-exaggerate how different some of these recipes are, it's simply astonishing to me that they all always come out with the exact same problem. And it's borderline inedible. I'd appreciate any suggestions at all, I'm totally at a loss of what else to change.

1, 2, and 3 tell me the yeast ran out of food. Fix this with some combo of less yeast, shorter rise time, and/or cooler temperatures when rising.

5 some people like that, some don't. Do you want big bubbles? This will change once 1-3 are addressed too.

6 is actually good as Chad Sexington notes because that means you fully gelatinized your starches and the texture should be right for that kind of bread (chewy). If you don't want that texture there are ways to change it.

Try making small loaves (like 250g total flour weight) regularly to see if you can dial in what it takes to get what you want. Don't change more than one variable at a time.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
New house rule:

10% of all bread dough gets reserved to make a little snack for the day the loaf is baked.

Usually I don't mind the delicious smell and the day's wait to cut into a loaf, but daaaang tonight was hard. The whole wheat sourdough sandwich loaf I made smelled more amazing than usual. Looking forward to a few QA slices tomorrow.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

nwin posted:

Why do you wait a whole day?

My recipe makes two loaves and I usually wait 30 minutes or so to cut the first one.

These are dense loaves and I've found if I don't wait a day they feel kinda gummy.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Those pancakes freeze pretty well too! I've got a nice stock of discard pancakes ready to go in the deep freeze.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Murgos posted:

Question for the brain trust.

I’m making a FWSY Pain de Campaigne and I started the levain this morning around 8. However, now my wife wants to go to the beach at basically first light tomorrow morning.

Can I hold the shaped loaves in the fridge and extra 8 or 10 hours okay? Assuming I would get home around 5/6 and bake them then? What about 24 hours if I wait until Monday morning? Or should I do something with the levain now to extend it? Or something after mixing?

Just put it in the fridge for up to like a week. If you can, put it in the fridge a bi before it's done rising so it has food to eat while it cools down. It won't have as nice oven spring if you leave it for more than a few days but it will still be tasty bread. (In fact it will probably develop some more complex flavors.)

Unless you are looking for magazine-perfect bread, it is generally pretty forgiving if you get the proof anywhere close.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I had a lot of trouble with pancaking no-kneads until I introduced some stretch-and-folds. Super easy, and you can see the gluten structure set up the more you do it.

The other thing that helped was my sourdough starter aging. It has become a bouncy resilient texture and whenever I add it to dough it helps get the rest of the gluten in line quicker. (Ice gluten-9)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Sometimes I like to add a tablespoon or so of rye in when I feed the starter for a turbo boost, but there's no need to switch over to rye as a starter unless you plan to make mostly rye breads all the time. (If you wanted to switch, you'd gradually transition, yes.)

All rye, all the time, is not a great plan unless you are super into rye breads. Wheat4lfye

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Shaping will help as stayed above. If you can't get it sturdier that way, try adding some Vital Wheat Gluten to the next batch of dough.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I swear to god my sourdough starter is magic. I made the same hamburger buns as earlier in the thread but used my whole-wheat starter instead of yeast and they actually look like burger buns now. I know that bag of yeast still is good; it does great on AP Flour-predominant dough. My starter is far better adapted to whole grains, apparently!

I also gave up kneading the dough at all and let time do the work. Very tasty results.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

bear named tators posted:

My girlfriend has a mature sourdough starter she inherited from my dad. After feeding, the starter peaks quickly, within 2-3 hours. Everything she's reading is talking about sourdough starters peaking around 12 hours and she's wondering if that's too fast. Is this all good or is there an obvious fix?

That's good actually, it means it is a very active and healthy starter, ready to get going in some bread!

If you don't want to feed it so much, keep it in the fridge and feed it once a week. It will select for slower growing yeasts and give the bacteria an edge for some more intense sour flavor.

When you want to make bread, you can take it out of the fridge and feed it until it's back to peaking quickly if you like the bread it makes that way. (I often just use mine straight from the fridge and leave it to ferment for like a day since it is so slow, but most people usually want bread the same day.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

dog nougat posted:

Did some baking today.

Stick buns

They're really loving good.

And a cinnamon raisin loaf.

Also really loving good.

Oooh, need that sticky bun recipe!

Thread, would like a good example of overproofed bread? Here you go!

We had to take the cat to the emergency vet (nothing was wrong that they saw, her recent antibiotics are not agreeing with her, but at least they got some fluids in her) and I lost track of time on the hoagie rolls I was making for meatball subs.

I poured the dough out and baked it anyway - texture is dense a bit chewy, but the flavor is fantastic. (They are not crunchy like the biscotti I cut it to look like for fun.)

Cat tax:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Thanks! Nice idea on the cinnamon raisin bread.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I sometimes add a bit of gluten to my whole wheat loaves, but what worked better for rise was using about 20% AP (or bread) flour and 80% whole wheat.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Don't blame yourself, blame physics for that. It's a lot harder to get AP Flour rise out of wheat bread without a lot of chemical help.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Croissants were backbreaking labor for me last Thanksgiving but the payoff was incredible. I recommend making a batch at least once!

The King Arthur recipe is fine. I wound up using the 3 Day Classic Croissant from the Weekend Bakery since they had so many photos and helpful videos too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Any thoughts on what I could insert into my 13" pullman pan to cut it down to 9"?

Got any bricks?

Bread will find a way around anything not REALLY stuck in there.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Keetron posted:

Hoping this thread can help me out. I tried several times to make a sourdough starter and they all end up smelling extremely sour and not rising or straight up hooch. I get my flours from an actual windmill with big rear end millstones and they are ground at most a week or two before I buy them. I can buy rye, spelt and wheat, spelt and wheat whole or sifted. I tried a starter with rye. Can someone point me to a website with a good manual on how to fix up a starter?
Also a manual on what is levain and so on would help, most manuals I found online were written by hippies and very unreadable. (Oh yeah, I am from a country where in the 70s hippies kidnapped sourdough and it has only been the last few years since we got good and sinful white bread sourdough that is not a dense brick of sadness from the nature store)

Goal: to bake a weekly loaf of wheat / spelt based sourdough that will fuel my weekend long run, provided my wife and kids don't devour it when I look away for two seconds. Just reading Aramoro talk about it like this is making me very jealous and I want that super tasty bread too!

This one worked for me. Get some rye flour as a boost for it, and I've used whole wheat otherwise. It took about a month after it was ready to really be useful as the only leavening; in the meantime I threw a tiny bit of commercial yeast (like .25tsp) into the bread dough to help it get a better rise. If that one doesn't work, there are a lot of other good ideas on that site for a starter, like the pineapple juice one (part 1- background part 2- more science and the technique)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Keetron posted:

Cool, thank you. Do you have a similar link on how to actually use the starter to make a bread? Also on that I get lost in fuzzy instructional websites that assume a degree from a culinary school...

I love the Fresh Loaf forums so much. I learned about the 1-2-3 sourdough loaf from there and there are a ton of threads on it. The community bake one is the largest and most informative, if hardest to navigate. Even has people asking for troubleshooting help with their starters. The no-knead version (lots of pictures in the comments!) is what I usually do since I have barriers to kneading.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

redreader posted:

Thanks. I started right after I posted, I checked all of my bread machine settings again and there's 'french' apparently so I tried that, I'm very interested to see how that turns out. Next time I bake I'll watch the video and make a no-knead recipe, thanks for replying.

Also it's hard to get flour reliably, is the King Arthur website good?

The King Arthur Website is reliable and has a good variety of ingredients, though is not always the best deal or fastest shipping. I order from them when I don't care if it's on the slow UPS truck and I want to be sure of what I am getting.

Casu Marzu posted:

Tried my hand at making one of those fancy instagram decorated focaccias

Fantastic!!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Here's why you don't mail dough or starter while it is still living

https://twitter.com/ailsabm/status/433154320029454336?s=20

Definitely dehydrate the starter first. It's what the pros do.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
A few more:

King Arthur

Cultures for Health

Carl's Friends

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Sometimes I gotta add like 10g extra water at feeding, sometimes the flour is just that dry.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Alternatively, you feed starter to build discard for the King Arthur sourdough pancakes or rosemary crackers.

Saving up my discard this week for a nice big batch of rosemary crackers! I'll make some hummus to go with it. I don't watch the super bowl, but I do snack on that Sunday in recognition of the holiday.

And why yes, I have adjusted how much starter I keep on hand so that my discard amount every week is just right for a few of those sourdough pancakes...

effika
Jun 19, 2005

redreader posted:

Woah, thanks! Watching that right now.

Also, holy poo poo this tastes good. How does this taste SO MUCH BETTER than bread machine bread? It doesn't seem at all like there was any mistake when you actually eat it, it just looks sad. The texture is crunchy and chewy and the taste is FANTASTIC. I'm glad I tried some because I was thinking of just making a second loaf.

Welcome to the joys of extended rise/resting times! The extra time lets the dough develop all the little tasty chemicals.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Came out real nice. Going to try braiding it next time. Or maybe go with the 1:1 "rich man" butter ratio.

Looking good!

mediaphage posted:

trying out a dual-stage hydration for really wet doughs. overnight room temp pre-ferment, then an overnight unsalted bulk ferment, with salt water folded into the dough the next morning, periodic folds after.

cheater baked in a covered pan, but i'm super digging the crumb on this

supposedly going super wet from the get-go can interfere with the gluten development. not sure but i will say i find the doughs easier to work when done like this

Looking real good!

Redreader, give these rolls a try. There is some effort but the payoff is great, as mediaphage notes.

Here's a fusion of a few recipes for honey wheat rolls. I converted it to no-knead, made some tweaks, and wrote out some details. The honey butter glaze with a sprinkling of salt is absolutely mandatory at the end!

Yield: 1 9x13" pan of rolls or 2x 8" or 9" round pans. (12-24 rolls)

Ingredients
• 293g AP or bread flour (bread is chewier)
• 125g whole wheat flour
• 21g instant mashed potato flakes (or potato flour, or 1/4c mashed potatoes)
• 2 tsp instant yeast
• 1 tsp table salt
• 2 TBS honey (42g)
• 57g olive oil
• 242g (1C) milk
• 1/4C orange juice (or water)
• For post-baking spread: 60g butter almost-melted and mixed with 42g honey, plus kosher salt for sprinkling

Method
1. Combine dry, mix well, make a hollow for the wet, then add the wet ingredients (save 1/4C of liquid) and mix. Add the reserved 1/4C of liquid to the mix as needed to get a wet, shaggy dough. Use your spoon (or hands) to knead everything together for a minute or two—it will change from small discrete lumps to one sticky lump that has a smooth surface and doesn't stick to you/your spoon when you press on it.

2. Put dough in a warm place for 2 hours to rise.

3. Put dough in the fridge until read to bake, up to a week from today. (It should double before you use it. Leave it out for 4 total hours including second proof if you need it that day-you're halfway here. Use a WARM spot to make the yeast happy in that case.)

4. On baking day, grease a 9x13" pan or line with parchment. (Can also use 2x 8" or 9" pans.)

5. Do a few stretch-and-folds to degas the dough and get the gluten network organized. Gluten cloak into a ball shape.

6. Decide if you want round rolls or square rolls.

a. Round: weigh dough, figure out how many grams/roll, cut off dough bits, and shape into balls. Place rolls in pan, not touching. To shape into balls, roll the dough like you'd do with play dough, then use your thumb to push it through a ring made by your other hand's ring finger and thumb. This will force the gluten to align tightly around the ball and lead to a pleasing shape.

b. Square: Flatten dough out to about ½" thick, a little smaller than the shape of your pan(s). Use a pizza cutter or dough scraper/flat spatula to slice dough into equal portions. Place the squares into the pan, not touching.

7. Cover pan and place somewhere warm to proof. Proof until rolls are poofy and crowding each other and have doubled in size. (If you need to save rolls for later, you can refrigerate the pan again once the rolls are touching. Finish the proofing (should be about an hour) when you can bake again.)

8. Preheat oven to 350F while proofing.

9. Bake rolls, uncovered, on the middle rack for 15-25 minutes (longer for bigger rolls) and an internal temp of 190F. Tops will turn golden brown. Meanwhile, make the honey butter to spread on top. (Melt butter, add honey, mix.)

10. When rolls are done, take out of oven and brush with honey butter. Sprinkle with salt. Let cool for a few minutes, then lift rolls out onto cooling rack. Best warm, but will keep for a few days on the counter or in the freezer for a few months.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

redreader posted:

THANK YOU!
:piss:

What an improvement!!!! The only complaint I have is that the house smelled gross because I used my cast iron pan for steaming, and it heating up / baking along with the bread, smelled bad. For the future: I have some 100 dollar allclad pans. Would those be better for heating with the oven then putting the cup of water into? Once I took the bread out, put it on a wire rack, and gave it a sniff it smelled amazing so the bread is fine. I'll report on it later, we'll have sandwiches for dinner, maybe grilled cheese or something.

edit: previous bread for comparison:

YES! Excellent improvement.

Just pick up some cheap stainless steel pan to put some water into on the bottom rack. There's also a whole rabbit hole to go down re: steaming-- spa rocks, ice cubes, all sorts of things.

Dacap posted:

This one got a bit misshapen on the side, but overall pretty happy with it

Nice big ear!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I use almond milk in my quick bread drop biscuits (oil based as well) and they are less rich, but I get a better brown on them somehow. The tastiness balances out.

I say give it a try and take notes!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I use 160g of starter (100% hydration) for my 750g sandwich bread loaves, which I prefer lean. I don't knead anything so it gets to ferment for like 12-16 hours at room temp.

So as mediaphage points out, the yeast may not like the enriched dough so much (Red Star has a line that specifically likes it, IIRC), and you may not have had enough yeast to begin with for a quick rise. (There's a 2 hour dinner roll recipe that has like 3 spoons of yeast in it for extra-quick rise-- I can't remember where I saw that now.)

I say mark the container so you know how it's growing and bang it into the fridge overnight.

e:fb

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Huxley posted:

Re: the earlier question about what happens if you overfill a Pullman pan:

Bread still square, though.

Tell us about those bread ribbons. They look incredibly tasty.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

redreader posted:

Hm, but I haven't fed it since like, friday night.

We only have sourdough because people kept forgetting about that drat grain paste and kept moving on with the project, anyway. Forgetting about the culture is just one step in a long line of other people forgetting about it.

It may be a little chilly, but it's always been a little chilly somewhere and people still made bread, even after neglecting the starter. Keep at it. Eventually it'll get there.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I slice my sandwich bread before freezing and store it in a ziplock. While there's more chance for freezer burn, it's really convenient to grab a slice and stick it in the toaster straight form the freezer.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Fat in bread helps it hold on to more moisture, so you get a longer shelf life and a softer crumb along with a richer taste.

Unrelated: I had some dark rye flour to use up and subbed in 20% for AP four in pizza dough yesterday. I might have to do this regularly-I really like the added depth of flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Definitely try bringing over less at feedings for a while to see if you can dilute out any undesirable enzymes. I suspect that you just have a less than ideal colony for your cooler storage/proofing temperatures in winter combined with some leftover crud from the mold scare. One solution? Less carry over at feedings for a while until it resets itself.

Also guys do NOT make bread just before bed, unless you want to go to bed hungry from all the smells. My usual sourdough loaf with a bit of rye this time: 60% whole wheat, 10% dark rye, 30% AP flour.