Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Happy Hat posted:

I will also have her wash out the gluten from some dough, and have her bake it to see what oven-spring is all about :) (that is how dad taught me, that is how I'm gonna teach my daughter.. also banjos).

Tell us more about this! How is this done and what is the end result supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
Thanks, Happy Hat!

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Farking Bastage posted:

Although a lot better than my previous attempts, the crust did not have the chewiness I was going for. I kept a boiling cast iron pan of water in there the whole time as well as spraying the loaves down with water twice in the first 5 minutes.

I can't seem to get this oven to bahave. :( Still tastes good though.

I think you have to have drier air. I keep the oven moist when I put the bread in so that I get good oven spring. After that I vent the moist air out by swinging the oven door open a few times. This and having a high temperature gives the best crust in my experience.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

I never thought that I'd watch videos of whisking on YouTube ever, but here I am... It just seems so effortless to use. Another kitchen tool on my wish list, perfect!

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Le0 posted:

Thanks for these tips, I'll give them a try.

Those tips are all true but I'd also like to add that opening the oven door towards the end and letting out the moist air can help. I usually flap the door a few times. A side effect of this is also that it might trigger the heating element to be heated again to compensate the lowering of temperature, i.e. you get some broiling effect.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Keep at it for a week, and if at that point it's a failure, it's hosed. You might not be giving it enough time between feedings...try reducing that rate to once a day.

That's what it sounds like to me as well. Perhaps you don't have keep it warm enough?

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Computer viking posted:

Try baking a loaf at hellbeast temperature - if you can live with the outside being a bit scorched, it sounds like it should work out ok, perhaps even great. At worst you're out a single bread.

I agree. Also keep in mind that you can lower the temperature or even turn off the oven after a while. If even that is too much heat - bake the bread inside a pot.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Nibblet posted:

Any tips on how I can keep the top from browning too much while I wait for the bottom to firm up?

Simplest method without changing anything else: Flip the bread in the oven! To me this bread looks over-proofed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Grevling posted:

This is the bread that sustains me whenever I have the chance to bake it. It's from a Swedish recipe book and called "Finnish rye bread".

A Martin Johansson recipe, right? That's one of my favourites as well. It's easy to get it to look really pretty as well. The crust gets really dark brown so any scoring on it looks really great against a white flour dusted surface. . You can also just dust it with flour without scoring it and get a nice pattern since the crust breaks up so nicely in small white specks.