Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
I made my first bread this weekend! :D A brioche! I finally couldn't stand it and had to bake SOMETHING but didn't want to fall back on the usual cakes or puffs so I opened my copy of Julia Child's Vol. 2 French Cooking. Results:

I'm happy with the way it turned out considering I may have botched the 3rd and final rise. The recipe says that it'll take 1-2 hours for the 3rd rise but I waited for 3 hours since my kitchen was a little on the cold side (68F) and the dough just spend the night in the fridge.

We waited for the dough to cool down and rest for about 40 minutes and then we looked inside. On the bright side, it was fluffy, light, soft and buttery. Mmmmmm... Improvements to be made:
- I'd like to get bigger holes. I think it can be fluffier and lighter with larger holes (like bakery bought brioches)
- Salty... Might have to cut down on this. I don't get it.
- Very yeasty.

On page 10, someone said their bread tasted like it was soaked in vodka. Mine may not be as bad but it was very noticeable. I followed her recipe to the T especially the sizes of the dough during each rising session. Perhaps I should cut down on the yeast? 1/2 a packet?

There are so many advises on Google but I trust you baker goons. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU