Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Made sourdough bagels at the weekend and whilst I'm pretty happy I'm sure they should be bigger, they seem a little bit dense. I did an overnight proof of the dough at room temp, possibly too long? I think it was about 12 hours. Then divided and shaped and left them to prove for another hour and whilst they got a bit puffy they didn't grow much. I don't think they should double but it should be noticable right?

Should I do a short bulk proof in future? Could it just be the cold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Decided to break out of my comfort zone and try to move on my sourdough game. I've done the same sourdough bread recipe over and over, 57% hydration and 30% starter. Last week I did 70 hydration and 10% starter and it came out great, no issues with handling the dough etc. This week I tried for 80% hydration, and the dough was much harder to handle, flattened out a lot in the counter proof, I actually reshaped it right before going into the oven. It actually came out fine but I forgot to cut it, which probably limited it's growth and spoilt the experiment a bit. My starter also didn't float, I think it might be too hydrated even though I've been keeping it 50/50, perhaps it's my flour. Maybe that doesn't matter and the yeast functions the same, just betting wet the air bubbles can escape and stop it floating?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Time posted:

I will routinely just not feed my starter for a week or two while it’s on the counter and then within a day or two it’s back to normal. Over the winter I left the country for a month and it baked a perfect loaf a week later.

8 hours is fine

You can just put it in the fridge and save that lead-time, I got mine out this morning, fed it and will mix bread dough this evening

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Anyone got a good technique for bagels? I think I have a good recipe but I think my end results are denser/smaller than they need to be. Currently I mix the dough, give it a few stretches the previous evening, then in the morning part it out into rings, let them proof for 30 minutes to an hour, then boil and bake. I just cut the advised boil from 60 seconds a side to 30 and think it's an improvement, but I think there needs to be more and earlier proofing after shaping. I think some people shape quite soon after mixing and refrigerate the shaped bagels for up to a couple of days before boiling and baking. Does anyone have direct experience to recommend from?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

you ate my cat posted:

I make bagels every month or so, and I use the Peter Reinhart method that Submarine Sandpaper mentioned. I don't have it handy, but it's a 2 hour preferment, then mix in the rest of the ingredients, divide, short rest, shape, short rest, then fridge until the next day. I can post quantities when I get home Sunday if you want. It makes the best bagels I've ever made.

Shaping also contributes to how dense they seem. Do you do the poke-a-hole-in-a-ball method, or the snake-and-loop? I find that I get much better results from the latter, and I include a trick from Cook's Illustrated where you add a twist to increase the tension on the outside. I usually boil a minute per side.

Thanks, I think I'm good for quantities, I can just use the recipe I have or look up Reinhart's. Between what you've given and a YT video I found I think I've got a lot to work with for a new batch. I was doing the thumb-through shaping yeah, which the video also recommended against. And yes I think part of the result this time is due to the short boil, so back to a minute a side for that. Will see if I can introduce some steam too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

From a few days ago, tried a different cut on top which might have helped the rise? Possibly better shaping as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think something is up with how I'm making bagels, they are coming out pretty dense. I was previously doing them sourdough but tried this recipe from Babish for instant yeast and seem to have a similar issue. I don't think the dough doubled in size after proving for 2 hours or so, should I just leave it? Or could something else be stopping it rising?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Can you post the recipes

Think this is the last sourdough one I used :

https://www.theclevercarrot.com/2021/06/easy-homemade-sourdough-bagels/

I linked the regular yeast one from the babish video above, basically a pre-ferment overnight then dumped that into more flour with honey and salt. Also seemed to need more water than specified to make it come together, but the dough felt right.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I just got back from Rome and snowing other things I really enjoyed the sandwiches;

Could someone help me identify the bear so I can try making it at home? It looks a lot like a pizza base and this place also did pizza so I'm thinking of starting with one of my recipes for that and make a bunch of flat breads from it. Not as thin as a pizza, more aiming to be enough that it will cut in half nearly.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

NLJP posted:

Looks like it could be this actually, to me

I think you're right, one of the places I went/ordered from was Mi'ndujo (not the one pictured above) and their website refers to Sanizzo bread, which google seemed to treat as interchangeable with panuozzo.

I actually made some pizza dough over night and shaped it into little loaves, I think they need to be a bit flatter to get the desired effect, they stayed a bit doughy in the middle even after flipping for some extra time in the oven, and didn't have the surface area for fillings I was after. Probably pressing or stretching them more will do it, not to pizza thinness but just to get it cooked through and crusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Pretty sure it's panuozzo I was after, just made some! This is cool though