Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
This will be spun as a negative thing and in time will be reversed probably even by the state itself. I expect after this the crack down by the DEA will be even worse. Polls show that most Americans now wan't legalization. But a reminder that it does not matter what the public wants.

The war against drugs is just to ingrained and to be honest, i don't see it leaving anytime soon. And it sucks because i love weed and ill have to stop smoking once I get my degree. I wouldn't expect legalization till about 2040, 2030 maybe if we are lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
They will wait for the shops to get nice big and fat and then raid them. Remember they are just after profits. Asset forfeiture my friend, asset forfeiture. Once these companies have enough money in the bank and enough weed that the DEA can make a good bit of money from raiding it, you best drat well believe they will.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

mdemone posted:

At that point they will have already lost the political process, just as gun-control proponents lost that process and are no longer a significant threat to firearm manufacturers and distributors.

I see what you're saying, and my past experience tempts me to agree with you. But I don't think that would be either pragmatic or rational on the part of the DEA, and I think their leadership is clever enough to know that, no matter what they personally believe about the long game of legalization.

It won't be happening in a vacuum. SCOTUS will hear it sooner rather than later, and that will decide everything, one way or another.

You best also believe the SCOTUS will vote against legalization lol.Simply put its way to profitable to keep drugs illegal.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

One thing, if they seize a bunch of drugs how do they get money for it? It's not like they can go out and sell them.. can they?

They use these drugs to sell to criminals to get busts. So its nothing but money for them. Its great and they are not going to give it up. Even if 90% of the nation wanted it to be legal it will not be. They would just turn the nation into more of a police state. Nothing short of revolution will fix this problem(and a lot of other problems this nation faces).

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
You know now that a few days have passed, I am back to my normal pessimistic self.

So here is what I think will happen. This is actually going to a be a blip on the radar and in 2-4 years it will be illegal again. The media is going to spin this so hard and in 2 years the nation will be disgusted with pot. They will drum up every negative story for months and never mention a single loving benefit.

The powerful will never give up marijuana.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

cloudy music posted:

Evil always triumphs over good. This is the proper mindset to have.

Historically its true.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Here is my prediction and people can make fun of me if they want.
There is a reason I think it will work out differently than alcohol prohibition and that's because the media we have today.

Two pronged attack, one from the federal government, and one from the national media.
My guess is that the Obama administration will come down hard on this. But on top of that, the media will go in lock step with them.Everything bad that happens will be drummed up for months and months. While all the positive effects will almost never be discussed.The propaganda machine will spin into action now that they know they have something serious to fear. Marijuana is going to be under constant assault in the coming months.

Every new negative study done will be hailed, and the dozens of positives studies done along with it will never be talked about. Any crime that happens around marijuana will instantly be attributed to marijuana. These cases will be screamed from the roof tops, statistics about actual crime be damned. I am guessing by the time the media is done the national average for people OK with marijuana will drop considerably. And given enough time, the states will scratch off legalization, and we will return to the status quo.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

NY Times Reports anonymous government officials will do something to stop Washington and Colorado for legalizing marijuana.

Well, looks like the Obama Administration is going to play hardball but I wonder what could possibly be their strategy?

I am not surprised at all, and would not be surprised if this started the pendulum swinging back the other way. I doubt i will ever see marijuana legal in my lifetime.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I think the truth is most people don't know poo poo about drugs. They may know a bit about marijuana, but that's it.
This is why its so easy to scare people with drugs. Psychedelics regularly found to be one of the least dangerous group of drugs, is seen by the general public to be as bad as heroin or some other powerful opioid. People literally believe that some of these drugs MELT YOUR BRAIN AWAY! AND ARE SUPER ADDICTIVE! Lets not mention that most psychedelics are considered non-addictive(I can't think of any addictive one, but just to be on the safe side).

The war on drugs is most powerful in its thought control. The fear it pumps into people. That really is the biggest battle, fighting all these old false concepts. People believe that drug legalization is based on science, the truth is it could hardly be less science based.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I really don't think this legalization thing is going to happen after all, the blow back is just starting up.I think things are going to get a little better, and then swing all the way back to being worse than before.

I had a lot of hope, but lately I've come to realize money always wins, and marijuana does not have enough money to win.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
At least for weed, I have never heard of anyone getting caught at the buy. People are usually caught with it by walking around with it and driving around with it, or if your really stupid smoking it in public.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Warchicken posted:

It is an early, preliminary step. We still have decades to go.

No, once the cards start falling on prohibition they tend to start falling fast. For reference see alcohol prohibition once the population grew tired of it, and some states started to legalize.

I'd say 2020 is the year we see it happen, if your optimistic sooner. People forget how quickly politics can change sometimes once the right conditions come together. And the right conditions are coming together for the end of marijuana prohibition.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

computer parts posted:

It will probably take at least as long as gay marriage does in terms of time from the first state legalizing.

That happened to be about 10 years ago from this year, so I think we have a bit longer to wait.

That's some hilarious metric you've just made up. Completely ignoring national public opinion when the first state legalized gay marriage versus marijuana. Folks marijuana prohibition is going to end a lot quicker than you had ever imagined.

The only thing that may take decades to end is the war on drugs.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Squalid posted:

um... but prohibition didn't fall fast? Like the last state to repeal dry laws was Mississippi in 1966, and there are still dozens of dry counties around the country. I mean its easy to forget when the popular narratives focus on Chicago or New York, but prohibition was a very popular institution in many places for a very long time.

The discussion is on the federal level, not backwater county.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Sabet is such a giant piece of poo poo, holy gently caress.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Hahaha, all of the comments on that page are calling Norquist a RINO/progressive/traitor to the cause.

And people say that the left is too concerned with purity.

Also the 58% poll makes me really optimistic, by 2016 we could be looking at over 65%, its going to happen people, get ready for legal weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Guys its literally been eight days, current prices will not be final prices. Especially not once other states begin to legalize and eventually the feds. Whenever a new hot market emerges you can expect profits and competition to rise. In time eventually the curve for profits will begin to dip as competition increases, and prices will also fall.

• Locked thread