Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Look, your issues are obviously more important than the stoner who just wants to get high legally or kid who is mad because he has to buy MDMA illegally and can't get quality control on it, but they're honestly not more important than people doing 99 to life in prison right now because they ran afoul of a series of laws specifically designed to imprison blacks, immigrants and minorities. I am not suggesting that civil rights for LGBT people should have taken a back seat to anyone or been forced to slow down, but there has probably been more than a few fundraisers and petition drives that would have been better spent trying to get people out of prison.

You absolutely are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

objects in mirror posted:

I could have an urgent desire to smoke weed, much like a gay man could have an urgent desire for some dick. Come on, man. Liberty is liberty.

Go gently caress yourself.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Both are issues of bodily autonomy and liberty. You go gently caress yourself.

I would tell you to go die as well but it seems like you've already ceased brain function, you enormous rear end in a top hat. You probably don't actually believe what you're posting but if you're going to concern troll about gay rights on today of all the goddamn days to do it, shut the gently caress up.

Mirthless posted:

If you hold five fundraisers and only needed three, is it really holding your movement back to devote the other two to another cause? LGBT causes are extraordinarily well funded and very numerous. There's a point where spending more money and time and people on a task stops being helpful. It is likely that some of the money and time spent on LGBT issues could have been better allocated on criminal justice reform. It is not a great argument, but I never said it was.

The point at where it stops being helpful is the point at where it gets done. Are the fundraisers supposed to budget out the money they think they might need to protect the fundamental rights of disadvantaged and hated minorities so that internet posters can smoke weed in front of cops, or should they get as much as they can to protect those rights until the fight is won?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Stop privileging some matters of personal liberty over others you douche. Your desire for dick is as valid as my desire for weed.

Eat a bullet.

Shoutout to the mods, I hope you enjoyed this easy probation.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Here we see why social justice causes are in fact zero sum, because they become wrapped up in identity politics and people go "my issue is paramount and important" even when they're sufficiently being addressed and selfishly advocate for the hogging of resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

I'm sure the 49 dead people in Orlando, all the homeless LGBTQ youth, the people fired or thrown out of their homes for being gay, are happy to know you think their causes are being sufficiently addressed, you piece of garbage.

Mirthless posted:

Local level organizations get funding based on the local community but national LGBT organizations get plenty of funding. Per http://www.charitynavigator.org HRC pulled in 15m in charitable donations in the last year they have tracked. Compare this to Norml (completely absurd, of course) who pulled in less than $500,000. The ACLU pulls in 80m/yr (though admittedly not all of this goes to LGBT activism, they do spend more than HRC does according to their website) There is a lot of money that goes into LGBT charities! This is certainly a far cry from where it was ten years ago.

So what do you think they should have done instead of taking that money? Do you think the fight for gay rights is over?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

"I couldn't possibly take this money, sir. We can get married now so there's not really anything left to do! We'll be winding the organization up shortly. Might I direct you to other worthy causes, such as NORML or the latest Gamergate kickstarter?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mirthless posted:

I never said anything should or shouldn't be done with anything. I was playing devil's advocate.

And you thought today was a good day to do that why?

• Locked thread