Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I would likely move to Colorado

More seriously, the result would be everything. People would stop going to jail for stupid possession charges in Colorado, but it'd still be a federally controlled substance for the time being. It might get other states to start passing their own legalization laws, and eventually the federal government would probably deschedule marijuana

More likely, legalization/decriminalization fails again and nothing changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xandu posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I do think there should be allowance for state experimentation on drug laws, but I'd prefer it comes through a repeal of the CSA (or at least through descheduling of certain drugs) than through waivers. Although then you face the situation of drug use being legal in most states except really conservative ones, and the feds having to wrest back control.

So yeah, I guess I think if this bill had enough votes to succeed, then at that point you might as well just deschedule (unschedule?) marijuana.

Most states already have at least one law on the books that bans marijuana. Even if the federal government descheduled marijuana, it would still be illegal in every state but WA and CO now (e: plus however many states have medicinal use laws)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NathanScottPhillips posted:

This is what people on this forum don't understand. At least in Colorado the only reason this passed is because conservatives voted for it overwhelmingly. The only people I met who were against it also self-identified as liberal.

There's a simple reason for that: usually it's conservatives that want to pass or keep legislation that interferes with peoples' personal lives

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Ok, will you let me modify my statement? Conservatives were an important ally in this vote and we would not have been successful without their support.

Libertarians were the difference, I suspect, but I don't really have any proof for that

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

platzapS posted:

What do you folks think of this article "The Drug Policy Roulette"? I'm all for weed legalization but it brought up what seem like good points:

Basic argument is that full legalization would cause prices to drop ridiculously, and trying to use taxation to increase the price would be nearly impossible without trading thousands of pot arrests with thousands of tax evasion arrests (although super-cheap pot is only a problem if you think increased use would be a bad thing.)

That doesn't make any sense. We shouldn't give a poo poo about the actual price, any tax revenue that is made is still greater than or equal to the tax revenue that we get from pot sales now (which is $0), and millions or billions of dollars are saved from no longer prosecuting and jailing people who are breaking an unnecessary law. Everything about this is a huge win even if you're like me and don't smoke pot

This ignores a huge host of other societal benefits that are gained from legalization, such as reducing violent crime

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 14, 2012

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but the Hawaii senate has passed a bill that would decriminalize marijuana

• Locked thread