Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It depends I suppose. I had a brother above 21 when I was in high school so I never had to worry about it but my brother didn't have issues getting liquor in HS. He just went to a lovely part of town and got it there without getting carded. It usually depends on your network. I couldn't get weed except from a brother's friend but liquor was a 5 minute drive to the gas station away.

I'll honestly be glad if it's legalized in my lifetime, I always preferred getting high over drinking because I tend to get hangovers easily and weed gives me a nice mellow feeling. I can't smoke now because of school but if it was legal I would once in a while.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

enbot posted:

They just sit in trees on the IL/IN border and watch plates, that's enough for PC.

Guess they have nothing to better to do near Indiana (except near Chicago I guess) because in the years my dad and I crossed the border to Missouri (once in the southern part and another across an interstate) we were never pulled over fireworks wise. Never really hid them either besides the usual walmart bags/brown paper bags. Or we got lucky, who knows?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Smoking cigarettes gives you a head rush like...maybe once or twice before that stops and you start just smoking to not be cranky/agitated or out of habit. It has more subtle effects on your brain chemistry but the big effects that could be somewhat compared to weed go away very very quickly. To compare the brain effects of a smoker of cigarettes and weed just seems highly disingenuous.

Not to mention the difference between getting high 15 hours a day vs smoking 1-2 packs a day would have on your health.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

a lovely poster posted:

Why is that? They are both substances people smoke to obtain very similar effects. Relaxation, alleviation of stress or anxiety. I'm not denying that marijuana has other effects that nicotine doesn't have, significantly impaired motor function is one of them. Like I said, the science bears this out. Nicotine very much is a psychoactive drug that alters your perception. If your basis for calling THC bad is that it "alters perception", there's absolutely no reason not to question whether Nicotine would meet that criteria as well. The lesson here is that "alters perception" is a terrible metric when you're trying to objectively describe the effects of a substance. Be more specific.

I can't really comment too much as I was never a heavy smoker of either (half-2/3rds a pack a day, occasional weed when I had the opportunity, never went out looking for it). I'm all for legalized weed and I'd probably smoke more if it was legal and easy to get. I'm just of the belief that nicotine and marijuana are on two different wavelengths of mind altering. I smoked both when I was stressed, but cigarettes were the equivalent of a quick fix to feel better temporarily while weed was more of a 'I want to just sit back and get my mind off things' deal. Plus cigarettes are a hell of a lot more addictive, I still get cravings for a cigarette when my car windows are down or I'm sitting outside next to smokers. I can count the amount of cigarettes I've smoked on my hand since I quit 2-3 years ago and I still get that itch once in a while when I have a lovely day. If someone's smoking weed, I'm fairly cool with just passing or not smoking. I don't get the same physical cravings.

quote:

Which is what?

If you told me of two people, one who smoked two packs a day versus a guy who smoked for 15 hours a day, I would probably say the guy smoking weed is healthier in general. I would question both of these processes, but it is really none of my business what people do with their lives barring it affecting others or myself in a negative way. If smoking like a chimney gets you through the day, be my guest. Just try not to reek horribly like either please.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
They were also a bit more lenient with scripts at my private school as long as you took them. Strangely, OTC stuff was still not allowed. I remember a few women getting detention for having tylenol in their lockers and a teacher got into some real poo poo a few years before I got there for giving a high school kid an aleve.

We also didn't have an official school nurse so I guess that would be why.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Honestly more curious now about how much money they'll save on prisons. The tax revenue can be quantified but can the judicial costs?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If I was running a university, I'd definitely rather be safe than sorry too. I mean, there's a time to take a stand and there's a time to sell cars. You can disagree if you want but when your institution suddenly loses federal grant money you're going to have a lot more unhappy campers than you will by playing along with the DEA.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Have there been many success stories with marinol? The two people I've known that had scripts for it did not care for it. Anecdotal of course but it wouldn't surprise me that it's that outrageously expensive and not very effective.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'd actually like to know that as well because I've known a few people who are getting more 'gifts' from friends in Colorado since February.

EDIT: This is from last year, closest I could find.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/04/07/marijuana-stuffed-mail-intercepts-hit-another-high-postal-inspectors-say

quote:

During the fiscal year, which ended in September, inspectors confiscated 45,000 pounds of cannabis concealed within 9,100 parcels, according to Paul Krenn, an assistant inspector in charge at the U.S. Postal Inspection Service’s Washington, D.C., headquarters.

In fiscal year 2012 inspectors found 42,000 pounds of marijuana stashed in about 7,600 parcels.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 17, 2014

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Powercrazy posted:

Holy Moley! I can't believe that discretionary law-enforcement is applied in such a manner. Knocks my socks off I tells ya.

And from Seattle cops of all people!

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It's always some dumbass 'THINK OF THE CHILDREN' type thing too.

I have thought of the children. I think it's dumb to throw them in prison for weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah I don't think I've seen a summer go by without reading a story along the lines of 'baby/pet left in hot car', it's the playing up of dope that makes it more annoying.

Sad more than anything, can't imagine it's a good way to go.

• Locked thread