Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

JollyGreen posted:

That's how the Dutch do it at least. And you can go to a coffeeshop there and grab an eight of weed and an eight of shrooms without an issue.

Mushrooms are illegal now, and weed is going that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Broken Machine posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you suppose the main cause for that shift in policy is? Is it the nuisance of drug tourists, or the country becoming more conservative? Perhaps the hope that restricting cannabis to Dutch citizens will cause other countries to adopt more sensible laws of their own? I just think it's odd that a country that has for decades had successful, pragmatic drug and social policy is shifting towards restricting it to citizens only (and probably running afoul of EU policy in the process).

Mushrooms was banned because a French girl threw herself off a bridge after taking them, and then politicians were falling all over themselves to 'protect the public'. Weed is also ostensibly because of foreigners, as drug tourism creates problems in the border areas, so now they have a ridiculous idea where you need a Weed Pass to prevent foreigners from buying. Pretty much everyone hates this and predictably it has led to an increase in drug related crime, especially in the border areas. It should be getting repealed soon, but a combination of Christian moralizing and the Liberal party loving the free market so much they just want to make drugs illegal because they also want to be tough on crime and love protecting innocent hardworking middle class voters and other such bullshit. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the public just wants to flat out legalize, but the politicians have very different opinions.

There's also pressure from other countries and the EU and has been for many many years now. I'd expect that to be less of an influence nowadays what with Portugal's far reaching decriminalization and having given them the finger for so long now, but who knows how much of a factor it is?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Dusseldorf posted:

From a quick google searching it seems like a bunch of people drown in the Amsterdam Canals every year. I would be that most of them are way drunk.

Oh yeah it's complete transparant bullshit but it's the law now.

• Locked thread