Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

objects in mirror posted:

This is just as ugly a statement as telling a gay man that he's gay because women won't touch him. Shame on you.

You might feel like Badge telling you to eat a bullet was some sort of hyperbole for the sake of internet argument. To be perfectly clear, the world would be a better place were you to take a gun and blow your brains out. There are also many other options available to you I'd be happy to suggest more if you need ideas for how to make this world just a little bit of a better place. :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Rollofthedice posted:

Thank you for bringing up the rampant issue of homelessness among LGBTQ individuals. I'm kicking myself for not mentioning it previously.

It's an issue that's often ignored, and deserves to be brought up if we're cataloguing the many problems still facing gay individuals today.

There's a really excellent book on this called Kicked Out by Sassafras Lowrey. It's really heartbreaking to read through though, full of firsthand accounts from kids in these very situations.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

No you are egging on the insane people and their stupid lovely oppression olympic slapfight. Jesus christ.

Because you are just some psycho on the internet who is making up insane poo poo about people because of your own issues.

Well, that's why I'd be trolling you about pedantic facts.

Hmm yes daring to suggest that the horrible horrible oppression pot smokers face isn't quite equal to the situations LGBTQ individuals are in the day after one of those two groups was targeted with the deadliest mass shooting in US history is definitely useless oppression olympics. :bravo:

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

KingEup posted:

Laws that criminalise same sex sex and laws that criminalise cannabis consumption both wrong and morally egregious for the same reason. They both violate the equal liberty and equal protection principle. Here is a whole paper on the subject: https://wpsa.research.pdx.edu/meet/2012/carcieri.pdf

Entering into a debate about who has been victimised for longer is pointless. Both groups are being victimised for essentially the same reason and be equally supportive of their struggle for justice.

Marijuana smokers and gay people are not victimized for essentially the same reason. People being put into prison for marijuana possession or sale is certainly an injustice but it really isn't particularly difficult to see how your argument is incredibly offensive. Nobody is gunning down pot smokers for being pot smokers.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

KingEup posted:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2008/03/12/thailands-war-drugs

Are you aware about what's about to take place in the Philipines?

I really don't think you actually want to compare the global situations of pot smokers and the LGBTQ community but then you do seem to be a moron so I guess you actually might. I'm not going to look through the enormous well of misery to illustrate to you how much of a losing argument that would be it doesn't really seem necessary. It would be kinda like putting together sources to prove that the sun is in fact larger than the earth.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

objects in mirror posted:

More total harm has been done to society in the past 60 years because of drug prohibition than because of anti-gay agitation. In fact the numbers of lives ruined because of marijuana is probably greater than the number of lives ruined because of prejudice against homosexuals, which are a tiny minority of which a substantial number has a hard time growing up in an intolerant society. 8.8 million people were arrested for marijuana from 2001 to 2010. The total harm imposed on society because of that can be argued to be greater than if in the same period 1 million people faced homelessness (usually a temporary condition) due to homophobia, or at the very least we can see these as being equivalent harms. Stressing that homosexuality is immutable and drug usage is merely a preference gives a tacit justification to the punishment those 8.8 million people received as if to say "break the law and pay the price" which is quite hosed up IMO.

hmm interesting point but have your considered killing youreself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

KingEup posted:

Holy gently caress the GLBTI community marched in Sydney (Australia) for the rights of drug users and helped establish our first drug consumption room because they saw the parallels with their own struggle. It would be loving bizarre for anyone in the queer rights movement in this country to diminish the importance of drug user rights.

Drug users and the GLBTI communities are natural allies.

I am in the community first off. I'm also a drug user and have friends in prison because of drug use. It's still not comparable. You're not any loving ally of mine if you're going to pull this sorta bullshit.

• Locked thread