Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

objects in mirror posted:

Yea, that's really shortsighted and stupid and, incidentally, quite convenient to the neo-liberal elite that considers a higher minimum wage anathema but still consider themselves liberal because they stand up for LBQGT rights. LBQGT issues sucking up a lot of political capital and oxygen has worked as a distraction from other issues and it's time liberals realized that.

Hey dumbass, maybe right after the worst mass shooting in US history, specifically targeted at LGBTQ people, is the wrong time to pitch a fit about how us demanding fair treatment is "sucking up a lot of political capital."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Mirthless posted:

Err.. We were talking about resources which are, by nature, limited. I hate to be exceedingly reductive but breast cancer awareness charities suck all the air out of the room when it comes to cancer research. As far as civil rights issues go, gay rights has been the pink ribbon.

You'd not only be reductive, you'd be wrong as gently caress, since there has been actual progress w/r/t LGBTQ rights whereas the Susan G Komen poo poo is a money sink that enriches the owners and spends almost nothing on research. What a profoundly insulting comparison to make.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Mirthless posted:

You're really missing the point.

I said breast cancer research, first of all - not the Susan G Komen foundation. There are hundreds of legitimate breast cancer research charities that spend a great deal of money on breast cancer research. The problem is that for every 1 dollar that other types of cancer get research for, 9 other dollars go to breast cancer research. Because breast cancer research has been marketed, it makes people feel good, and it gets people to open their wallets. This is not an indictment of breast cancer research, but it is fair to say that the focus on it has drawn attention away from other things. Gay rights aren't the only civil rights issues, and criminal justice reform has been simmering for a while without much attention until the last couple of years.

Again: I am not trying to make a statement against gay rights activism.

You may not be trying, but you sure as gently caress are ending up doing so.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Mirthless posted:

Look, your issues are obviously more important than the stoner who just wants to get high legally or kid who is mad because he has to buy MDMA illegally and can't get quality control on it, but they're honestly not more important than people doing 99 to life in prison right now because they ran afoul of a series of laws specifically designed to imprison blacks, immigrants and minorities. I am not suggesting that civil rights for LGBT people should have taken a back seat to anyone or been forced to slow down, but there has probably been more than a few fundraisers and petition drives that would have been better spent trying to get people out of prison.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those people wouldn't have contributed money to things like that even if there wasn't LGBTQ rights fundraisers going on. It's not just a matter of limited space, a disgusting amount people legitimately don't give a poo poo about our awful prison situation. What you are effectively doing is blaming LGBTQ advocates for people being lovely and uncaring, which is ridiculous.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Mirthless posted:

I'm really not blaming them for anything. I am simply saying resources spent on one were not spent on the other*. I was only playing devil's advocate and I thought this was clear.

edit: By this I mean, that could have been better spent on the other, because there really is a point of diminishing returns, which is what i was trying to get at with the breast cancer thing

You completely ignored the point I was making to double down on the "fundraisers!" thing.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Stop privileging some matters of personal liberty over others you douche. Your desire for dick is as valid as my desire for weed.

Your desire for weed is brought on by your innate inferiority, and a desire to dull the misery of your meaningless existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

This is just as ugly a statement as telling a gay man that he's gay because women won't touch him. Shame on you.

Our society is best served by rendering subhumans like yourself into a nutrient-rich slurry, which can then be shipped abroad to help reduce world hunger.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread