Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT
...But Cannabis already is basically legal in America.

Unless you're black.

I hope this passes, and when challenged by the Supreme Court, I hope it's fought for bitterly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

roboshit posted:

I really hope this passes. Does Colorado have a better chance of passing this poo poo than California? From what I remember California couldn't pass it because of (1 voter apathy and (2 terrible old white people living in the suburbs and other rural areas of California.

If it does hopefully it'll start a chain reaction of other states legalizing as well, too bad I live in Texas, we'll probably be one of the last states to get it.

California was tracking positively until the extremely misleading ads about blitzed drivers were run. People decided to flip the gently caress out over the prospect of toking kids smashing-up their parents cars, even though we already tolerate this hazard with alcohol & testing isn't conclusive as regards the effects of Cannabis on driving (what testing has been done shows that drivers are impaired when high, but are also more cautious & are not as hazardous as drunk drivers or distracted drivers).

Still, even California's law would've faced a Supreme Court challenge if it had passed, and I don't know that I like such a bill's chances in that arena. Not in the current climate of "WIN THE WAR ON DRUGS AT ALL COSTS!"

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

quote:

The problem is that people don't know what the schedules actually mean; they just know that schedule I means super mega bad and illegal.

Schedule I drugs (heroin, desomorphine/krokodil): high potential for abuse, no currently accepted medical use, lack of accepted safety under medical supervision

Schedule II drugs (cocaine, fentanyl, morphine): high potential for abuse, accepted medical uses, abuse may lead to hardcore dependence

...It's worth noting that claiming morphine as having accepted medical use while also claiming that heroin has no medical use is actually insane, because they are basically the same drug (opium-derived pain killers). Heroin in most applications is actually less addictive & less destructive than morphine is, but since politicians of the era were loving morphine junkies, heroin was labeled Schedule I while morphine was labeled Schedule II.

I just like to mention this during narcotics discussions.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

quote:

I would be surprised to see the feds crack down on states legalizing cannabis. It might be different had Romney won, but Obama doesn't have to worry about re-election, so he's a bit freer. A Mexican think tank released a study a short while ago (link), estimating that if cannabis had been legalized in all three states where it was on the ballot, it would cut the cartels' earnings by up to 30%. If anything, the more responsible politicians are going to look at the effect this has and once they see it's successful and having a profound impact on drug cartels, they're going to move to support this as much as they can. If laws are written in a way that they end up in court, it'll be to reconcile the state law with federal policy, and not to overturn them or bully the states into line.

...You're kidding, right?

The ATF & DEA would do anything and everything up to incinerating the state legislative buildings, machine gunning everyone trying to evacuate and then lobotomizing anyone who questioned their actions in order too keep cannabis illegal. It's a huge cash cow for them, and it's easily the best tool right now for silencing political dissidents in the U.S.

So long as the U.S. federal government stands, cannabis will be illegal in North America. They can't admit that they lost a war, and this is what they literally consider themselves to be waging against drug users / dealers.

• Locked thread