Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Spiffster posted:

If it happens, Expect this crap to go to the Supreme Court. Hell, Obama is on record for defending the war on drugs, and Romney if he wins would most likely do the same.

As long as it's legal though, expect a HUGE increase in traffic to Colorado and an increase in security in surrounding areas to curtail a spill over from those who think "Hell, I bought it legally, it should be legal here as well"
Not gonna lie, I'm looking forward to throwing 'STATES RIGHTS' in the faces of a lot of people :smug:

The only thing that can probably stop a spread in decriminalization/increase in regulation is a concerted effort by interest groups with a lot at stake: namely alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Gothy McAngstydie posted:

The media (sans Fox News but there you go) loves legalization, just yesterday CNN reported on the legalization and what it means, and instead of spending the whole time spreading fear about injecting 3 marihuana and having a heart attack, they were throwing out puns like "Legalization: no longer a pipe dream" "Will other states juana legalize?" and "Legalization: spreading like a weed." They missed a lot of pun potential with the word "grassroots" but I think people are overestimating how much the media hates weed. The media thinks weed is hilarious. Americans love weed.

Do weeds.
Get potted up on the weed!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

That doesn't make any sense. We shouldn't give a poo poo about the actual price, any tax revenue that is made is still greater than or equal to the tax revenue that we get from pot sales now (which is $0), and millions or billions of dollars are saved from no longer prosecuting and jailing people who are breaking an unnecessary law. Everything about this is a huge win even if you're like me and don't smoke pot

This ignores a huge host of other societal benefits that are gained from legalization, such as reducing violent crime
It conveniently ignores those tax dollar savings and somehow arrives at the conclusion that the weed tax would not make much money. Of course, it also starts with a premise that I think a lot of people disagree with and which there is very little scientific evidence - more people smoking more weed is a BAD thing. Economically, the section on the elasticity of demand was somewhat insulting as well, given that weed and other drugs do not behave at all like more traditional and widely consumed goods.

SilentD posted:

I know a lot of hardcore "legalize it all" (which is my position) advocates who wanted to use pot as a stalking horse for everything. Pot is a drug that most people agree should be legal, opiates, cocaine, acid, DMT, x, ketamine not so much. The logic is if you had sweeping drug reform some of those substances could ride in on pots coattails. But if you take pot out of the fight a lot of the support instantly vanishes.
Probably because some of those substances listed are highly addictive, physically damaging and outright dangerous. There is a reason pot legalization has much more support than heroin legalization.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

Well, some of the main arguments for legalizing pot apply equally to more dangerous drugs (such as that there's nothing to gain from treating drug addiction as an offense to be punished rather than an illness to be treated).
Yes but I think the biggest and most effective argument is that it is incredibly safe and has no business being banned. Some of those other drugs DO however.

a lovely poster posted:

The way I see it we either trust adults to manage their substance intake or we don't. Treating everything case by case is pretty drat pointless considering the most dangerous recreational drug of any meaningful popularity is already legal, alcohol.
But we already don't trust adults to manage their substance intake. How could you think we do? Have you ever met a heroin addict or been through a DUI checkpoint? As a society we have demonstrated a million times over that we do a very poor job empirically analyzing the effects of our choices and making rational decisions regarding what we put into our body, how much we put in and what we do before, during and after.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Politicians are increasingly finding themselves in a nebulous grey area of cannabis legalization where growing support makes full decriminalization seems inevitable but big, important voting blocks are still scared shitless of the stuff. The awkward years for a politician where the subtle differences in local support for legalization could mean the difference between winning and losing an election.

Prepare to see years of political waffling as people like Cuomo desperately try to walk both sides of the issue: supporting decriminalization efforts as much as they think they can while going out of their way to ensure old people that they will keep this "gateway drug" out of the hands of kids. I'm looking forward to when it makes its way to the national presidential debates (if not 2016 then 2020) and some candidate supports legalization while opposing it in the same breath.

SedanChair posted:

A hipster lamented that federal legalization would lead to "big pot" cutting down on strain variety or something. It was silly. This led us on a journey to the heart of hipsterism itself.

Just like big alcohol cutting down on beer and spirits variety...oh wait.

cheese fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 20, 2014

• Locked thread