Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Coloradan in favor of legalization here. To answer your question directly, yes, it looks like Amendment 64 has a fair shot of passing. The polling lead is still up ten points.

For those unfamiliar, Colorado currently allows possession of marijuana, and you can buy from dispensaries if you have a card. To get a card, you have to consult with a doctor and prove that you have a medical or psychological condition that marijuana would relieve. Dispensaries are a dime a dozen throughout the state—this is coming from somebody whose office is in the "Green Mile" of Denver, a freshly dubbed section of a major street that has at least three dispensaries per square mile. And they do pretty well. Federal government has shut down a few dispensaries, but make no mistake, the market is booming.

Anybody from Denver will tell you that getting a medical card is pretty much a joke under current state law. Local papers advertise consultations, so to get a card, all you really have to tell the doctor is, "I have chronic migraines," or something similarly untestable. The only perceived problem from people with cards is that they're instantly in some form of database and can be targeted on a federal level. So right now, you have a rather large black market of people who have friends with cards, and some folks who do it the old fashioned independent dealer way.

From where I'm standing, legalization doesn't have any strong downsides, and Colorado appears to be doing poo poo right: the first $40 million of the excise tax is required to go towards education, and the medical marijuana infrastructure is easily translated—hell, most dispensaries can just redecorate, maybe buy an espresso machine, and move on. But you're right, there's going to be a huge headache when it comes to regulation of a freshly legalized drug. We haven't even figured out any impaired driving penalties.

I think that if this does end up being passed, it's going to get the snowball rolling. It's not the most specific statement, but there's a lot we can't know until Colorado has served as more of a testbed. That being said, I think it will have a noticeably positive effect on our economy. CU Boulder is practically the national landmark for 4/20 in the first place, and most people I know are working adults who still smoke in the evenings.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

ColoradoCleric posted:

Are prices still stupidly high for recreational pot in Denver? I tried checking weedmaps but it seems they took the prices off for recreational and am wondering if the legal stores are colluding on prices.

Depends on the store, but looks like the average rate for an eighth is around $61. whether you want to call that collusion or not is up to you, but this site ain't so bad for pricing.

• Locked thread