Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
There's a good article on this over at The Amercian Conservative. The opponents are the worst kind of drug warriors you can imagine. What will we do these people after the [drug] war?

quote:

The legalization movement has benefited from a new approach, appealing to middle American sensibilities about the failure of the drug war and the hard lessons of prohibition. It is also gaining traction with fiscal conservatives who would rather tax marijuana sales than shuffle thousands of drug offenders through courts and prisons each year. According to this fiscal impact study, for example, the State of Colorado expects to save $12 million and raise $22.6 million in the first year of legalization through marijuana sales tax and licensing fees (embedded in the Colorado amendment is a clause mandating that the first $40 million raised be earmarked for a public school construction fund).

In Colorado, Amendment 64: Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act of 2012 enjoys a wide swath of support from retired police officers, the NAACP, clergy, the Denver County Republican Assembly, and the State Democratic Party Convention, virtually insulating it from the typical attacks in which hippie dopester caricatures abound. The measure would amend the Colorado state constitution to make it legal for individuals over the age of 21 to possess up to one ounce of marijuana and/or grow up to six plants. It would allow the state to tax and regulate its sale, while maintaining current medical marijuana laws.

The major effort against it, a campaign called Smart Colorado, is headed by Wade County District Attorney Ken Buck, a controversial Republican who unsuccessfully attempted to ride the Tea Party wave into the U.S Senate in 2010. Smart Colorado, according to Colorado news reports, is operated by cadre of Denver lobbyists and funded mostly in part by Florida strip-mall tycoon and major Republican contributor Mel Sembler.

Sembler, a big-time donor to neoconservative national-security causes, according to RightWeb, is also a big anti-drug warrior and the founder of Straight Inc., a residential “tough love” teenage drug-treatment program that was forced to shut its doors in 1993 after numerous accusations of excessive physical force, psychological abuse, and at least one conviction of false imprisonment. Sembler now heads the Drug Free America Foundation and enjoys the support of prominent Republicans like George W. and Jeb Bush. http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/marijuana-legalizations-tipping-point/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Fragmented posted:

This will just drive the selling of cannabis underground again for most people.

So given the choice between a product that is grown in stable soil conditions, treated for mold spore and then placed in airtight packaging with an expiration date people would prefer to buy their gear without these things to save a few bob?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

PT6A posted:

Someone was saying how much worse their experiences with alcohol had been, and I was merely posting a counter-anecdote. Neither should be a basis for policy, because everyone has different experiences with various substances.

I found a graph that depicts the difference:

http://lufg.com.au/files/media/Popular_intoxicants_what_lessons_can_be_learned.pdf

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

gvibes posted:

Still not sure why this would be Supreme Court issue. This is clearly an area in which both state and federal laws coexist. There is no requirement that I know of that states can't not have laws against things that are illegal at the federal level.

This is the best overview of the issue I could find (University of San Francisco Law Review, 2012):

quote:

the Supreme Court has not fully spoken on the constitutionality of federal cannabis prohibition. It has never, that is, squarely tested the CSA as applied to activities that would have been protected by the RCTCA. U.S. v. Oakland Cannabis Buyers’ Collective was a statutory ruling91 and Gonzales v. Raich held only that the CSA is generally a permissible exercise of Congress’ commerce power, and that the DEA may thus enforce it.92 This question is distinct from whether federal cannabis prohibition violates the equal liberty principle as articulated in the Court’s 14th Amendment case law. As Husak observes, further,

“a right to use drugs is unlikely to be explicitly included in (a) constitution. But this concession does not settle the matter; rights to marry or to use contraceptives are equally improbable candidates for explicit inclusion, (as are) decisions about what foods to eat or what clothes to wear .... Many questions about the scope of constitutional protection afforded to such conduct are unexplored in our legal system, mainly because liberal states have rarely sought to punish them. No case law exists about issues that have never been addressed.” 93

Beyond this, secondly, we saw that the Frank/Paul bill was recently introduced in the House. While it will not receive a hearing any time soon, it reminds us that federal cannabis prohibition is not necessarily a permanent legal fact. If States vote to end cannabis prohibition under their law, it can only increase pressure on Congress to pass a law like Frank/Paul. Our Constitution allows several avenues for reform, and one of them is that of States sending a message to Washington by protecting liberties the latter seeks to criminalize.

Finally, Professor Mikos recently noted an important distinction. When Congress legalizes an activity that has been banned by state law, he observes, all agree that the latter is unenforceable. By contrast, he argues, when Congress criminalizes a liberty that has been protected by a State, neither the legal status nor the practical import of the state law is clear.94 This is consistent with the well-established principle that States may, if they wish, protect individual rights under their constitutions at a higher level than does the U.S. Constitution.95 Again, thus, it is at best an open question whether the mere existence of federal cannabis prohibition renders a contrary right under state law void.

Yet for the sake of argument, let us assume otherwise - that a revised RCTCA would directly conflict with the CSA, triggering preemption. Falcon, advising those revising the RCTCA, must assume this. Yet from the broader perspective of a citizen voting on such measures, to conclude that nothing can or should be done at the state level to oppose federal prohibition assumes that what is, ought to be. Since prohibition is the law, this view holds, we ought simply to accept rather than to oppose it. Had such a view prevailed in the past, of course, there would never have been a 14th Amendment, or even a Declaration of Independence. Progress in the law has always necessarily depended on the distinction between what the law is and what it ought to be in light of deeper, enduring principles.96 The critics’ premise that we ignore this distinction is thus indefensible. If there are compelling reasons to oppose a gross inconsistency in the law, especially the criminal law, then it is the right of democratic citizens to resist it. Indeed, it is their duty, especially where the means employed – voting – are lawful. Unlike civil disobedience, militancy, or revolution,97 in fact, voting is not just legal, it is a fundamental constitutional right.98

In this light, USA Today’s claim that “legalization is a decision that should be made by the entire country, not just one state,”99 misunderstands the role of our federalism. As Justice Brandeis famously wrote, “it is one of the happy incidents of the federal system that a single courageous state may, if its citizens choose, serve as a laboratory; and try novel social and economic experiments without risk to the rest of the country.”100

This is especially so with a classic police power concern like cannabis regulation. Boychik writes that “though there may be excellent reasons for California to go toe to toe with the federal government over the federalism question, does it really have to about this issue? Right now?”101 The answer is yes. As with the recent repeal of “Don’t Ask/Don’t Tell,” if it is the right thing to do, it is the right thing to do now. Indeed, Falcon notes, not only is there a “strong argument to be made for the value in varied laws,”102 but “when legalization comes, it will not start at the federal level.... State action is the only way to legalize marijuana.”103 http://wpsa.research.pdx.edu/meet/2012/carcieri.pdf

While searching I stumbled across a great article in the Indian Law Journal which I may as well share: http://www.repository.law.indiana.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1073&context=ilj

KingEup fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 13, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Broken Machine posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you suppose the main cause for that shift in policy is? Is it the nuisance of drug tourists, or the country becoming more conservative?

Can't really be 'drug tourists' else they'd be banning foreign drinkers from pubs.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Shbobdb posted:

The war on drugs provides a steady stream of inmates to our prisons.

Yes, but inmates work for less than the minimum wage and are stealing jobs from honest hard-working Americans.

The only solution is to erect a wall around prisons to stop people getting in (and then deport them if they do).

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 14, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

mdemone posted:

But not for the private prison industry, which is not a marginal case to be glossed over.

Exhibit A

Corrections Corporation of America's 2010 Annual Report:

quote:

demand for our facilities and services could be adversely affected by the relaxation of enforcement efforts, leniency in conviction or parole standards and sentencing practices or through the decriminalization of certain activities that are currently proscribed by our criminal laws. For instance, any changes with respect to drugs and controlled substances or illegal immigration could affect the number of persons arrested, convicted, and sentenced, thereby potentially reducing demand for correctional facilities to house them. [PDF] http://goo.gl/MRcnx

KingEup fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 16, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Muck and Mire posted:

the idea that law enforcement likes weed because it's an incredibly low barrier for loving with people isn't tinfoil hat nonsense, it's fairly basic

Exhibit B:

quote:

As for who is being arrested now, Pat Slack, commander of the Snohomish Regional Drug Task Force, says it isn't usually people who are just out to get high.

Slack, who is opposed to legalizing pot, says marijuana busts are an important part of law enforcement’s arsenal when it comes fighting crime.

For example, he says, as an officer, you might get a call to go to the local 7-11 because of a public disturbance. You get there and find the perpetrators have marijuana on them. You can book them and take them to jail.

Or, perhaps, you have a major crime case. The police can hold the suspect on a marijuana charge to buy time while they investigate.

“Whether it’s a robbery or murder or rape or burglary, or whatever. So, yeah, it’s a tool,” he said. http://kplu.org/post/will-legal-marijuana-make-police-less-effective

Call me crazy but I don’t think we should make things illegal just so that the police can use it as a pretense to arrest and detain people.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 16, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

PokeJoe posted:

It also doesn't hurt that police agencies profit from drug seizures.

Exhibit C - The Department of Justice’s Office of Inspector General's recent audit:

quote:

for the period of October 1, 2000, through September 30, 2011, the DEA and other federal agencies processed over 150,644 seized assets valued at about $9.2 billion of which $5.5 billion (60 percent) originated from seizures processed by the DEA and $3.7 billion (40 percent) originated from seizures processed by other federal agencies. http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/2012/a1240.pdf

quote:

Federal government will buy Ill. prison for $165M

$151 million would come from the department’s assets forfeiture fund http://www.daily-chronicle.com/mobile/article.xml/articles/2012/10/02/1040b0d7842b4b9e88fcae7a234da4a3/index.xml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDXYqUfvaVc

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 17, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Sad Panda posted:

One thing, if they seize a bunch of drugs how do they get money for it? It's not like they can go out and sell them.. can they?

That's why we need undercover police:

quote:

[officers] Ramos and Ferguson are accused of using lights and sirens to pull over the undercover officer. According to court documents, they took a bag containing 18 kilos of cocaine. They then handed the drugs off to a civilian named Alexi Matos, 38. http://www.khou.com/news/crime/HPD-officers-accused-of-stealing-drugs-appear-in-court-164716596.html

See? The answer is always 'more police'.

Prohibition is like the goose that laid the golden egg and just keeps on laying.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 17, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

frest posted:

I assure you it's not concern trolling, and I'm not specifically talking about pre-employment testing either. I work in an industry with mandatory random screening and pre-employment screening. You should be able to judge the sobriety of somebody by behavior, sure, but what if you've never worked with the person before and they're going to be operating dangerous or heavy machinery? The primary test I've had is a piss test which doesn't really distinguish between intoxicated-at-work or outside-work use. I wasn't aware of a blood test, that's why I asked.

How do you know the person has had a full night sleep and is well rested enough to perform their duties safely?

When you hop in you car each day, how do you know that all other drivers are completely unimpaired?

How do you know your new coworker isn't going to bust out their phone to text their smoking hot girlfriend in the middle of operating heavy machinery that probably needs his full attention?

You don't. This law creates no risks that didn't already exist before. Caffeine intoxication is an actual thing, people get hosed up on nutmeg, huffing and numerous other substances but when it comes to cannabis everyone suddenly goes into panic mode and starts talking about collecting peoples urine and bogeymen (which is totally loving bizarre if you give it even the slightest bit of thought).

quote:

Does workplace testing improve workplace safety?

Evidence is inconclusive regarding the efficacy of drug testing in reducing workplace accidents and injuries. While some studies suggest that testing can reduce injury and accident rates, more rigorous studies indicate testing has only a small effect or no effect at all. Claims that workplace testing can substantially reduce workplace injuries, accidents and compensation claims are not supported by the available research evidence. http://nceta.flinders.edu.au/download_file/-/view/617

KingEup fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 10, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Evil Fluffy posted:

Do people actually think companies like the big tobacco producers don't have plans for how to hit a marijuana market the second it gets legalized by the Feds? People in power might hate weed but they also hated alcohol and prohibition died as well.

The tobacco industry are in the business of growing and selling tobacco. I fail to see why they're anymore likely to start selling cannabis than any other agribusiness other than the fact they already have rollng machines (which are already in use rolling tobacco).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Delta-Wye posted:

I'm pretty sure the tobacco industry have their hands in a lot more than tobacco products

Yes, I've read Barbarians at the Gate too.

Why do you think the tobacco industry will be specifically interested in cannabis?

Delta-Wye posted:

It would make sense for them to try and get in on the ground floor in the new industry in order to diversify.

Diversification does not always make business sense.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 11, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Two reasons:

- Fewer and fewer people are smoking every day.

Global cigarette consumption is increasing

quote:

- They have the infrastructure necessary to manufacture, package, and distribute marijuana.

So do companies that manufacture tea and numerous other agribusinesses.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

platzapS posted:

I think the author was saying that without legal heroin, coke, and meth, it wouldn't solve problems with disease transmission or criminal gangs.

How well do you think McDonalds would fare if they could nolonger sell hamburgers?

Weed is the bread and butter for most drug gangs. The demand for that other stuff (which should also be legal) is just not as big.

Tailor made cigarettes in Australia cost roughly $17 dollars for a packet of 25 and there is virtually no black or grey market. Most people are fiercely brand loyal and would prefer to buy their smokes over the counter than from some fuckers trunk.

Cigarette companies have spent decades trying to convince people to switch brands. If it were as simple as reducing their prices I'm fairly sure they would have figured it out by now.

Similarly you're not going to be able to convince a Malboro man to smoke Canadian blend just because they're a few dollars cheaper.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 13, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

The author of that article, Caulkins, is also on the board of Drug Free America (a cannabis doomsday cult made up of insane prohibitionists still living in drug war wonderland).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Flaky posted:

it would place too much of a financial burden on the poorer members of society if alcohol prices were raised - students and pensioners were the two examples given - as though it would be a bad thing if those groups drank less.

It's a rather insulting attitude if you ask me. It implies that poor people are unable to modify their drinking habits if the price goes up; as though being poor makes you a slave to your basest desires and somehow unable to control yourself.

It's a line you hear repeated ad nauseam every-time the tax on cigarettes goes up.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

It makes absolutely no sense to deprive cannabis users of their liberty while others are allowed an equal or more harmful liberty like drinking alcohol and smoking tobacco.

The common retort is that we don't want to add to the problem we have with those other drugs (by adding another intoxicant into the mix) so the government has the right to draw the line between a lawful and unlawful act where ever it choses.

Of course, if we grant the government that right they could quite easily make it a criminal offence for blacks to imbibe alcohol on the grounds that 'we've already got big problem with drinking among whites'.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 14, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

veedubfreak posted:

Pot isn't a drug. It is a plant, that is smoked in its natural form. That alone makes it completely different from any "drug" on the planet.

For cannabis, I prefer the name 'phytopharmaceutical'.

quote:

The plant kingdom has also enabled the production of so called phytopharmaceutical or ‘botanical drugs’. These are defined as well characterised, multi-component standardised drugs extracted from plant sources. The medicine VeregenTM, derived from green tea Camellia sinensis, and approved for the topical treatment of warts (Medigene Inc.) is such an example. In 2004 the United States Food and Drug Administration issued the Botanical Drug Guidance which made it possible to bring to market a complex mixture for which evidence of adequate safety and efficacy had been established (FDA, 2004). https://www.gwpharm.com/uploads/phd_david_potter_jp.pdf

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Flaky posted:

Also you appear to be arguing that addiction literally doesn't exist. People who are out of control alcoholics are going to drink whatever the price, same as any other drug. I think this is an important point to clarify, as it is the other end of the 'bootstraps' spectrum.

I often hear the argument that taxation will not deter addicts from using because users are 'addicted'. This is false.

There is no evidence that addicted individuals are 'out of control' and unable to modify their behaviour in response to strong incentives (like increases in the price of liquor, tobacco or any other drug). It's just that for some addicted individuals, price is not a powerful disincentive. Even so, price usually exerts some influence - smokers often 'cut down' to compensate for tax hikes. Heroin addicts may use their heroin sparingly to stave off withdrawals until they can get enough money for their next proper fix.

Addicts choose to abstain when they are sufficiently motivated to do so. The problem is that not everyone is motivated by the same things.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 15, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

nucleicmaxid posted:

This is completely loving false by all standards within the current understanding of modern Psychology, just FYI.

If that were true it doesn't surprise me that modern psychology is notoriously bad at treating addiction.

quote:

According to just about every expert in the field addiction can, in fact, lead to people who are 'out of control' and are thus unable to modify their behavior in response to incentives.

Whilst there are experts who believe addiction is compulsive and addicts are 'out of control' this is by no means universally accepted.

This notion that addicts don't respond to incentive is bizarre (and could only be true if you believe that drug addiction is akin to demonic possession).

Even the most heavily addicted smoker will not give them self permission to smoke in the office in plain view of their colleagues. This is why smoke-free workplace policies motivate people to quit.

Even the most heavily dependent heroin addict still has to figure out how to get money to sustain their addiction. Not all addicts resort to crime. Many addicts work multiple jobs and cannot afford to be intoxicated all the time (your earning capacity is reduced if you are intoxicated or in withdrawal) which is a strong incentive to cut down or choose to be temporarily abstinent.

quote:

There are two reasons why it is tempting to label addictive drug use ‘compulsive’. First, there is a popular conception that addicted drug users will use no matter what countervailing reasons are present. In Oddie’s terms, such drug-oriented desires are not ‘reasons responsive’.29 It is popular to cite the case of the cocaine-addicted rat which continues to self- administer the drug, ignoring the bodily demands of hunger and fatigue, until it dies. As Davies points out, however, this is a terrible metric for compulsion – the rats tested have nothing to do other than self- administer drugs, and when the same tests are run under more naturalised environments, their behav- iour looks much more reasons-responsive, and much less compulsive.30 In fact, as Watson points out, drug-addicted humans are a lot more likely to decide not to use drugs than is popularly believed, especially when strong counterincentives are pre- sented. Mothers with dependent children, for exam- ple, are much more likely to give up their drug addictions.31 Neale reports that less serious reasons are also commonly given by users who decrease their heroin consumption, such as changes in the drug market, or conscious reflection of the drug’s pros and cons.32 The evidence that drug users do in fact respond to powerful incentives is a strong indicator that their behaviour is not compulsive.

The statistics on drug use also fail to support the idea that drug users will always use. Leshner cites the low number of successful, voluntary drug quitters as evidence that people with addictions are behaving compulsively. ‘Once addicted’, he claims, ‘it is almost impossible for most people to stop the spiralling cycle of addiction’.33 In fact, he is wrong – though in 2001, 18% of US citizens aged 18–24 met criteria for substance dependence, only 5.4% of those over 26 were substance dependent. In the same year, less than 2% received treatment for substance dependence, implying that large numbers of people voluntarily quit.34 http://www.neuroethics.ox.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/16060/Foddy_and_Savulescu_-_Addicts_Consent.pdf

quote:

neurobiological data do not establish that addiction is a form of compulsion and that control is nil. From a philosophical perspective, we should immediately be skeptical of any such conclusion on conceptual grounds. We commonly hold that what makes a piece of behavior an action, as opposed to a mere bodily movement, like an automatic reflex, is that it is voluntary. This means that there is the capacity for genuine choice between courses of action. Minimally, there must be at least two choices: to act in a particular way at a particular time, or not to.6 There is thus a dilemma facing the claim that addictive desire is genuinely irresistible. Drug-seeking and drug-taking behavior appears to be deliberate, to be flexible, and to involve complicated diachronic planning and execution. It bears all the hallmarks of action. But for it to be action as opposed to merely automatic reflex, alternatives must be available; minimally, it must be possible to refrain. Hence either addictive desires are resistible and the power to do otherwise remains or, despite appearances, the behavior they cause is not action (cf. Alvarez 2009).

Note, importantly, that it is perfectly possible to hold that addictive desires are resistible but that people suffering from addiction may yet be excused from blame for acting on them. For example, if drugs are indeed used to manage severe psychological distress, then, in absence of alternative coping mechanisms, addicted individuals may be justified in choosing to take drugs, with the crucial caveat that such justification depends on the nature and degree of any harm caused to others by their doing so. In essence, addiction may be excused not as a form of compulsion, but as a form of duress.7 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3378040/#R5

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 16, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

rockinricky posted:

They trotted out the old "If pot is legalized, it will be easier for kids to get it." line of bullshit.

This is a mind-bogglingly stupid argument. According to the CDC it is already easier for kids to get it:

CDC posted:

Current marijuana use among high school students was more common than current cigarette use (23 percent compared to 18 percent). http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2012/p0607_yrb_telebriefing.html

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

nucleicmaxid posted:

This is a well documented scientific fact, I'm aware of more than one study on rats who are given junk food, and refuse to eat 'healthy' food, or are given the option to be able to press a button to receive food or to release pleasurable sensations, and do so ceaselessly , without concern for hunger, though I'm too lazy to do your research for you, as you were too lazy to do your own research in the first place.

Wait, what? It's almost like you didn't read more than one sentence of the excerpt I posted. Specifically the part on why the behaviour of rats in cages is such a terrible metric to measure things by.

So, before you accuse me of cherry picking and of not doing my research, it might behoove you to take a bit of your own advice. As of right now you've posted sweet gently caress all in terms of supporting material. It's well documented scientific fact, is it? Well guess what, it's no my job to do your research to support your point of view.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 17, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

See also:

quote:

The League of Nations and the Debate over Cannabis Prohibition http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1478-0542.2010.00740.x/full

The problem with cannabis, according to the Tunisian representative (who happened to be a member of the French colonial government) was it enabled Arabs:

quote:

to lead in imagination the life which they would like to live, but which their indolence and love of ease in most cases prevents them from attaining by work, forethought and persevering effort

The problem wasn't just cannabis though. According to the Algerian representative (who happened to be a racist French psychiatrist)

quote:

[the Arab] has a peculiar propensity towards drug addiction. It has been said that he is a born drug addict... his essentially passive temperament leaves him without defense against temptation. He lives from day to day, at the mercy of his instincts and desires. He has no idea of making provision for the future, and abandons himself to the satisfaction of his immediate needs. … Owing to his lack of mental and moral powers of resistance, the native soon falls into the state of decline and moral decay which follows too wholesale or long an indulgence in drugs. Similarly, his entirely instinctive way of life, the fact that his behavior is dictated solely by immediate reaction, and his fundamentally impulsive nature, soon give to his crises of intoxication a violent and tragic character’

There you have it folks. Drug prohibition was based on good old fashioned racism.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 22, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

inkblottime posted:

This wouldn't even be public if it wasn't legal but it might backfire in the effort to gain support for the cause of legalization, because "oh my god think of the children". What do you guys think?

Methamphetamine is FDA approved.

For 6 year olds.

http://www.lundbeck.com/us/products/cns-products/desoxyn

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Rhandhali posted:

This does literally nothing other than codify good prescribing practice into law and holding physicians and pharmacists to account for irresponsible prescribing behavior.

Irresponsible prescribing behaviour is what exactly? In a manner that is inconsistent with the 'opinion' of highly trained government bureaucrats, like errr... the DEA?

God help the doctor who doesn't subject his patients to the requisite level of surveillance or the pharmacist that doesn't dob in the doc who doesn't: http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/bush-should-feel-doctors-pain

Edit: Just out of curiosity, do you think it is 'irresponsible' for a shopkeeper to sell an individual [say] 5 cases of wine and half a dozen bottles of scotch whisky?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 13, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Rhandhali posted:

He was willfully blind to the fact that his patients were diverting his prescriptions which is what made him guilty.

Why should 'diversion' be a crime?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Delta-Wye posted:

It takes the "controlled" out of "controlled substance".

So does prohibition.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Install Gentoo posted:

Wait, you disagree with the concept of prescription drugs now?

No. I just don't think 'diversion' is criminal and I'd love to know why people think it should be.

There are, however, a number good arguments against prescriptions: http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/07/25/medethics-2011-100240.long

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 14, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Delta-Wye posted:

There, that is the post that started this nonsense. Al Capone is a lovely person, and the Canadians who were selling him booze were also lovely people.

Al Capone was a lovely person because he was a violent criminal and corrupt businessman, not because he sold alcohol.

Are Americans who buy prescription meds illegally from Canadian pharamcies actually buying them from lovely people?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 15, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Delta-Wye posted:

You don't think dealing drugs should be criminal? :psyduck:

EDIT: Should read "You don't think dealing drugs is criminal?

Sorry I should have said that I don't think a consensual transaction between a buyer and seller ought to be a criminal offence.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Install Gentoo posted:

Diversion is separate from dealing. Diversion generally involves claiming medical benefits fraudulently on a prescription when what you're actually planning to do is distribution.

Fraud is morally objectionable. Selling drugs is not.

The behaviour of big tobacco is reprehensible because they lied and deceived their customers, not because they sold them tobacco.

quote:

Man that's opening up a lot of things. You sure about that? I mean really?

Generally speaking, providing there is no deception or tampering and both parties are consenting adults then yes, in the absence of a regulated system, buying or selling medication (to someone who wants it) should not be a criminal offence. It may not be good idea to buy medication that has not been prescribed for you, but that does not mean it should be criminal.

Riven posted:

Yeah, like purchasing assassination services. The assassin might be in trouble for killing him, but you'd be in the clear! It was just a consensual transaction!

Seek psychological help if you think paying to have someone assassinated is the moral equivalent to, and involves the same kind of consensual transaction as, selling Lipitor to a poor American who can't afford it in their own country.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 15, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Install Gentoo posted:

Ok you just said it's ok to sell child porn

Please explain how a transaction involving a non-consenting party is a consensual transaction.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

TACD posted:

Edit: I mean by all means KingEup if you are talking about 'any transactions at all' then I'll let you go ahead and defend that position but that's not the impression I got?

You got the right impression. I have only ever been discussing transactions that involved 'controlled substances'.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Install Gentoo posted:

I asked him if he really meant the exact words he said. "Sorry I should have said that I don't think a consensual transaction between a buyer and seller ought to be a criminal offence." You can buy or sell an awful lot of things.

You are in a thread about cannabis and we were discussing the Controlled Substances Act.

Reflect on the context for a moment.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 15, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Install Gentoo posted:

The victim of a killing contract is not party to the transaction.

That is why it's wrong you nitwit (and why something like euthanasia shouldn't be).

KingEup fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 15, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Install Gentoo posted:

Y'all also said that all drug dealing is totally cool

I seem to recall saying that selling drugs should not be a criminal offence not that all drug dealing is totally cool.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Babylon the Bright posted:

Fraudulently seeking out prescriptions in order to divert drugs to the recreational market is wrong because it casts doubt on those who actually need the drugs to manage pain. This results in suffering people being unable to obtain drugs which could help.

Blaming people who divert drugs for undertreated pain is idiotic. It's not their fault that the law intimidates some doctors into withholding medication that may relieve suffering.

Here in Australia we recently had a tragic case where a man presented to hospital in agony and the doctor decided that he was 'drug-seeking' and turned him away. He died in agony a few hours later from faecal peritonitis: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/doctor-rejected-dying-man-as-an-addict-20110714-1hg54.html

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Red_Mage posted:

Hey give it time. We haven't even had a month with it yet.

I find it rather strange that some people believe the consumption a leafy green vegetable is all it takes to bring society to its knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Dr Mark Kleiman (some drug policy 'expert' from UCLA) has posted this on his blog:

quote:

In my view, an increase of as little as 10% in heavy drinking would wipe out any benefits from cannabis legalization http://www.samefacts.com/2012/12/drug-policy/cannabis-and-alcohol-reprise/

This seems rather disingenuous to me. The primary benefit of cannabis legalisation is that the law becomes more 'just' and people are no longer locked in cages for buying or selling plant matter. I don't see how alcohol consumption can erase this benefit or how he can possibly calculate such a precise figure.

• Locked thread