Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
falcon2424
May 2, 2005

How would anyone mount a Supreme Court challenge against this?

I'm not understanding what relief the feds could request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

inkblottime posted:

This wouldn't even be public if it wasn't legal but it might backfire in the effort to gain support for the cause of legalization, because "oh my god think of the children". What do you guys think?

If I were a anti-marijuana strategist, I'd wait for the issue to cool off and only touch it in the abstract. ("Democrats are so evil, they give marijuana to children!")

My fear with arguing the specific example is that it could backfire spectacularly. I'm imagining a chemo-afflicted little girl sitting opposite to some anti-marijuana pundit and asking, tears in her eyes, "Why do you want me to hurt again?"

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yeah but that doesn't have anything to do with whether its a state store or not - unless you take the generally unfounded, but common, ideological position that state run enterprises are necessarily more inefficient than private ones.

All you really need is the assumption that monopolists use their market power to increase their profits. That, and 'binding constraints are bad'.

So, a system of state-only liquor stores would be inconvenient even if the state was good at running stuff. The state would have a monopolist's incentives. And the 'only in specialized stores' restriction would keep me from being able to pick up beer at various convenience stores.

• Locked thread