Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
They aren't being defensive they're not allowing weed and alcohol to be conflated. It's an important distinction to make if dialogue about the federal schedule system is to move forwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Lord Of Texas posted:

I worked as a software developer at one of the 3 companies you listed and never heard of anyone being drug tested, even in positions which required federal security clearance. My experience in the Midwest has been the same.
I work for a fortune 100 tech company and the right to test us wasn't even mentioned in my contract. If drug usage affects your performance you'll be fired for poor performance, otherwise they don't give a drat.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Xeom posted:

Here is my prediction and people can make fun of me if they want.
There is a reason I think it will work out differently than alcohol prohibition and that's because the media we have today.

Why have the feds been so silent then?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Obama says marijuana not 'top priority'

Looks like his response is about what we expected.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
And? Of course they're doing that they follow and enforce federal law. I'm having trouble seeing what your point is.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'm not defending it but don't act surprised when the Feds enforce their own laws. Also you were asking of anyone would find it worth it, which I'd point at the pretty healthy pot markets that have sprung up all across the country as evidence that yes, they do think it's worth it. People found it worth it back during the height of the drug war.

It's not perfect but this environment is thousands of times more friendly than it was just a decade ago. We have a model towards pushing legalization that has been working and all signs are saying will continue to work. This stuff doesn't happen overnight. Its really really dumb to throw up your hands and say it isn't worth it because we had one step back after 100 forwards.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 15, 2013

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm fine with the 100 forwards, but your "one step back" is another person's "10 years in prison". On a macro- level we're winning, but to me it doesn't justify glossing over the lives that are being ruined due to the process not taking overnight.

Yes I would rather we go back to how it was in the 80s and throw tens of thousands of people in jail for ten years instead, pushing prisons to 400% capacity. This is what we should do because gently caress effort and not everything is perfect right now.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
its happening.gif

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/01/10/pa-senator-introduces-bill-to-legalize-marijuana/

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Xandu posted:

If we changed this conversation to doctors rubberstamping requests for oxycodone in exchange for cash (which does happen, although not as often), I'm curious how people would feel about that.

Oxycodone is extremely dangerous.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Relax he's just paranoid from all the weed he's smoking :v:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Everytime I click on this loving thread, I furiously scroll through pages of circular arguments to look for something that's actually loving relevant. Thanks for this, hopefully it doesn't end too badly.

That's a pretty optimistic quote in the article. I could definitely see them modifying/clarifying the law to give more power to the states, based on the lack of strong outcry from either side in opposition to what's been happening so far. This may be the moment we've been waiting for.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Warchicken posted:

They won't sue, but will they still arrest people that are compliant under state laws?

Justice Dept. doesn't arrest people.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

SgtScruffy posted:

This is great news, but I'm still pretty hesitant to celebrate. Can we take this to believe that now, as long as dispenseries in MMJ-legal states don't break any of those eight laws, then Obama will stop the various raids, etc?

At least, on strictly face value?

It pretty explicitly states that this is a guidance and can't be used as a legal defense by anyone, so if a prosecutor decides on his own to go after small players that are otherwise obeying the law they can.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Is the stream still going? It says it starts at 2:30 but not how long it's supposed to run.

edit: Nevermind. The 'LIVE WEBCAST' is actually a recording of what just happened.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Not to mention that once it is legal everyone has to show their papers and run their operations by the books, something the cartels probably won't like.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
edit: nm I misread the article

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
California Democrats just added legalization to their platform:

http://rt.com/usa/california-democrats-support-marijuana-legalization-950/

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

AYC posted:

I doubt they'll push for legalization in the legislature.

Gonna have to wait until 2016 for the ballot initiative.

Still very significant because as far as I know this is the first time a full-party has endorsed legalization.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cache Cab posted:

respect the law and follow the rules.

And the law can change. That's the point. I'm not seeing the problem here

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

AYC posted:

It seems like everyone in this thread supports legalizing weed, so let's try something different to get our craniums pumpin':

What are the best arguments you can think of AGAINST legalizing weed?

Our opponents are not all Bible-thumping fanatics; some have legitimate public health/safety concerns. So, let's try to see things from their perspective. What are some potential problems you can think of?

We've already gone over it in this thread. The biggest issues are a lack of standardized testing & labeling, especially on consumables. Biggest issue is people who have never experienced pot before chomping down on a whole nuclear-bomb brownie, thinking it didn't work because they don't feel anything after 20 minutes, chomping down another, then having a 'bad time'. It's a lot easier to have a mind-bending experience than it is on alcohol because on booze you have a faster uptake + straight liquor is very difficult to drink for beginners.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

There's been some discussion in the Freep thread as to whether Obama's recent championing of vaccination is a deliberate attempt to get fringe Republicans to petulantly come out against immunization, chucking a wedge issue into the R machine between the GOPers with common sense and those who literally oppose anything Obama backs. Fringe theory, but could this be similar, playing up an issue that is likely to publicly divide Republicans?

They have no one to blame but themselves for painting themselves into that ideological corner. I mean- how long has the 'Obama comes out in favor of breathing' been a running joke here?

Trollbama is best 'bama

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Sure, but that's not what they're doing. They're sending every single taxpayer a check for the equivalent of a super-sized McDonalds meal, mailing out hundreds of thousands of envelopes and pieces of paper.

It'd probably be easier to just take it off everyone's filing for next year but what the gently caress do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

HappyHippo posted:

I said this upthread but the only way forward I can see is to focus on the unrefined plant-based sources of these drugs (or analogs thereof). Legalizing coca, opium and magic mushrooms seems much more likely than legalizing refined cocaine, heroin and LSD.

Mushrooms aren't the base material that makes LSD fyi

• Locked thread