Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Dusseldorf posted:

California also had a massive anti-legalization push from those who had personal investment in keeping the semi-legality of medical marijuana going. I'm not sure if that lobby is as big in Colorado.

There seems to be a decent deal of that in Seattle, as well. Apparently the atmosphere towards the legalization initiative was very hostile at, of all places, Seattle's Hempfest this year.

Weed in Seattle is already cheap, easy to get, and effectively legal (simple possession is the police department's official lowest priority and the city attorney automatically dismisses any charges for it) so I wonder if a combination of complacency among casual smokers and opposition from the medical marijuana industry is going to end up killing this attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Bruce Benson, the president of University of Colorado, has always made his opinion clear that he would not allow any marijuana research to go on on HIS university campuses. He has now articulated how he's going to stop it. He's going to set unreasonably strict (and frankly impossible to attain) standards for that research;

So essentially there is no way to perform research on marijuana within the University of Colorado system. The good news is that the University of Washington might be less blinkered and shortsighted and they will be looking to do this research so it will get done. Bruce Benson would rather people expose themselves to marijuana based on hearsay and limited research rather than to simply allow researchers in his state to do the cutting edge research that needs to be done. I hope that history remembers that he failed Colorado with his actions.

I'm a grad student at the University of Washington, and the day after legalization passed, the University President sent around an email reminding people that UW receives federal money and that their policy towards marijuana on campus hadn't changed. I wouldn't count on them being much friendlier.

• Locked thread