Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I liked Black Clover a lot personally. Not every shonen needs training arcs (eg. One Piece, Fairy Tail) even though training arcs can be pretty neat too if told well. Black Clover does seem to be aping Fairy Tail's style of story-telling since our one training chapter was literally the captain literally just throwing Asta at the giant water storm, and then the follow-up being the girl learning to control her powers in the heat of the moment. That and I'm a sucker for neat spreads and action moments, and nullification sword reminds me of Mx0. Hopefully it'll have a stronger story direction than Fairy Tail, since it already has the seeds for one since inequality seems to be the ever-present theme running in the background, and you got a misfit group of Royal Guards.

On a side-note, I do like how dismembering of limbs in World Trigger is a thing. If it weren't for the fact that it's really hard to follow the story on a weekly basis, World Trigger does have some neat fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Black Clover just adds nothing new to the table.
You could argue that not every series needs to be original. But it's starting new in a magazine already crammed to the brim with series that have been doing the same thing only for longer and are more established.
Without something that makes this series stand out, I doubt it's going to last long, especially when it was already cliché ridden to begin with.

Say what you want about Gakkyu Hotei, at least that series tries something different.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, he did try to be more experimental with his first manga Hungry Joker. It didn't work out so well. I think Black Clover is a lot more solid in comparison though since Hungry Joker kinda lost what direction it had and was probably a bit too ambitious for someone with little experience. Like I said, can't really make any solid predictions for Black Clover just yet, but familiar cliches can do well though. Biggest prime example is Nisekoi, which after his first more experimental Double Arts fell through, he went with more familiar territory for Nisekoi. Admittedly, Nisekoi filled in a hole in the shonen romance market at the time I think, while Black Clover is competing with a lot of other standard battle manga.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
More than anything else, I think the Princess character just really annoyed me with her "arc"

"Oh woe is me, all my life I've been unable to control my magical powers."

1 Chapter later.

"So some random little girl asked for help and I'm good now. Whew."

In general though Black Cover just doesn't seem to have anything going for it. The humor, action, characters, art, everything has been pretty generic and weirdly rushed. I understand getting on with the action and all but the exam to get in was like, 2 chapters. Earning his cloak was one chapter. Everything so far happens far too quickly for any kind of emotional investment to be possible.

I find myself wishing any of the other jump starts had made it in but honestly I can't say if any of them turned out better in six chapters so whatever.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I'm just really missing that hook.

Everything so far has been stuff we've seen done before and better.
I'd be something it it gives us at least something. A character/gimmick/setting whatever, that makes it stand out. But judging by it's current track record... I'm not holding my breath.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I'm disappointed that Black Clover got picked but weird hair guy with the rad bovine skull aviators broom is neat

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm still furious that Haikyuu!! isn't being published here.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I'll miss Gakkyu Hotei when it's gone, it is interesting. Black Clover still has potential -- I'm hoping it turns into UQ Holder or something.

I don't think I'll notice World Trigger disappearing someday though. It feels amazingly generic, like he was planning a video game (maybe like an X-Com) that got cancelled and just made a manga instead.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I really want Gintama to get picked up again :negative:

World Trigger is way better if I don't read it for a while and then read like a 10-15 chapter burst. The flow makes more sense that way to me

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, the writer likes using a lot of tactics and neat tricks with their powers in World Trigger which is nice. Unfortunately, those strategies usually pay off weeks later so you probably forgot, so reading it in chunks is probably the best call. I just don't remember all the new characters because everyone looks the same and there's a lot of them. I'd assume the volumes would do better in sales since it reads better that way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There are reports that in a few weeks Jump is going to introduce three new series, including one by the author of Onani Master Kurosawa, which are speculated to replace Roggy, Gakkyu, and Takujou no Ageha.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Is this amount of turnover normal in the japanese Jump?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's not uncommon. Only 15 of the 63 series introduced since 2010 are still running, and many of them ended within a year.

Edit: And 5 of those are series that have been introduced in the last 4 months, two of which are ones speculated to be on the way out. And the other was like last December.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 15, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, Jump is super competitive. If a series doesn't hit it big right off the bat, it tends to get cancelled. Most of the new series from last year got dropped. If it can maintain a steady rank after its first volume, it tends to be safe, but if it's consistently at the bottom of the rankings, it will get dropped unless its volume sales are good or there's a legacy contract already in place, as in the case of Kochikame. I assume bleach gets away with having a long rear end final arc just because it still sells or there's an agreement behind the scenes.

Read Bakuman if you haven't already since a lot of the stuff it covers is pretty true to how Jump rolls.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I guess I want Black Clover to do for generic western fantasy what My Hero Academia is doing for generic western superheroes but he hasn't had as strong a start. I actually do wish that he hadn't gotten into any of the Magic Knights and ended up doing monster hunting with his Guts sword.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
The thing I don't like about guilds in manga is the division of character development. It feels like the mangaka is saying "if you don't like my protagonist, here are a bunch of other crazy characters for you to fanboy/fangirl over." There are exceptions, of course (UQ Holder is doing a great job with developing Touta), and I think it's too early to tell how Black Clover will progress.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Waffleman_ posted:

There are reports that in a few weeks Jump is going to introduce three new series, including one by the author of Onani Master Kurosawa, which are speculated to replace Roggy, Gakkyu, and Takujou no Ageha.

The top one is the one by Takuma Yokota (author of Onani Master Kurosawa and Molester Man), called Seshiji wo Pin! to ~Shikakō Kyōgi Dance-bu e Yōkoso~. Looks dance-themed so looks like it'll be cool. The other two are Lady Justice and Devilry Man, from newcomers as far as I can tell.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Since there isn't a Black Clover thread (frankly, it's too early for one), here's chapter 8. The scanlation is pretty tolerable to read compared to the earlier chapters.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How far back can you buy back issues of the digital Shonen Jump issues?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
About the last 2 1/2 months it seems.

coathat
May 21, 2007

MajorMarcus posted:

Since there isn't a Black Clover thread (frankly, it's too early for one), here's chapter 8. The scanlation is pretty tolerable to read compared to the earlier chapters.

Don't read lovely translations of stuff that's licensed stupid.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Allarion posted:

About the last 2 1/2 months it seems.

Yeah, you can buy the last 12 issues plus the current issue.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue is up.

It looks like Gakkyu Hotei is in its death throes, as it seems like we'll find out who the red ogre is in the next few chapters.

Also, I guess Black Clover is finally caught up (for real this time). I'm still going to stick with it for a while. There seems to be potential for some good world-building.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The first chapter of this arc in Gakkyu was called "The Beginning of the End," and it's getting replaced in less than a month, so yeah, it's outta here.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue day. Not much to say about it. Gakkyu Hotei is building toward its climax very quickly, Black Clover was incredibly meh, and the exciting chapters for the other manga have their own threads.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Out of curiosity, are there any plans to ever give a reader option that doesn't suck? The web browser thing is tedious as gently caress to use when it comes to smaller panels, even when it's in full screen. Just a basic pdf format where you scroll up and down would be better half the time.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any plans to ever give a reader option that doesn't suck? The web browser thing is tedious as gently caress to use when it comes to smaller panels, even when it's in full screen. Just a basic pdf format where you scroll up and down would be better half the time.

At least it's better than their iOS app. I'm guessing that it may have something to do with analytics/preventing piracy (lol). I've dealt with quite a few protected PDFs, and it can be a major headache getting that to work properly.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Yeah the iOS app especially for the iPad is great. The flash reader sucks hard.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Other than the lack of Guided Panel View, which is nice on a phone, I've never had a problem with the Android/Kindle apps.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Another Poster posted:

Yeah the iOS app especially for the iPad is great. The flash reader sucks hard.
The iOS app is absolutely horrible if you don't have a lot of storage space. There's no automatic storage management, and at least 1/4 of my downloads fail on my iPad 3, even though I know I have enough free space.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
I just got the app back in January or so? Am I going to see an issue this Monday during Goldenweek? What have they done before.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Sounds like we're getting some monthly series (Seraph of the End for example... Ugh) But some other surprises as well. So we'll get something at least.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, it was just a manga covering stuff at Viz, it was ok.

Dance Club is next week! Interestingly, looks like we're not getting an option of Lady Justice in Jump Start, so I'm guessing that's either too fanservicey or too Japanese.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Huh, Gakkyu Hotei is getting moved to Jump+, Jump's online manga, so it's technically continuing. Wonder if Viz will keep translating it or not.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Allarion posted:

Huh, Gakkyu Hotei is getting moved to Jump+, Jump's online manga, so it's technically continuing. Wonder if Viz will keep translating it or not.

Huh, really? Despite finishing the Ogre storyline presumably? That's pretty cool, good for them.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue is up.

The new jump start is Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club. I'm a sucker for nontraditional 'sports' manga. It might make for an interesting addition to the WSJ lineup.

The new Gakkyu Hotei chapter is listed as the last chapter. That was quite a rushed 'ending'. I'm guessing the cliffhanger is to convince readers to start reading on Jump+. I'm not sure if Viz will continue with it, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gakkyu Hotei said that the next chapter would lead into the final arc, so I'm thinking they're just getting it out of Jump print to make space and letting them finish up in Jump+. It's not like Viz doesn't already publish stuff from Jump's online imprints, so I'd assume they'd continue or else they wouldn't have given the date.

Edit: Yeah, Obata's comment also says that they're just running the last arc in Jump+.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 11, 2015

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Yeah, but considering it literally says "final chapter" and there's no indication of a continuation, I'm pretty sure that it's over in English WSJ.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Man for the first time in what seems like a really long time, I'm actually excited to read One Piece every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
All I know is dancing is pretty rad.

• Locked thread