Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Allarion posted:

All I know is dancing is pretty rad.

You get to touch girls all you want. What an endorsement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
The new issue is up.

Black Clover is continuing with the world building from last chapter, which I'm pretty excited about.

I'm really digging Straighten Up. It seems to be following the standard coming of age/sports/slice of life manga formula, but it's cute and it doesn't look like it'll go way over the top (like pretty much everything else in Jump right now).

Also, the cover this week is fantastic, IMO.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I loves me a good mimic joke.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

You get to touch girls all you want. What an endorsement.

Truth in advertising.

It's not amazing or anything but Dance Club is pretty cute and I hope it sticks around.

Black Clover just gets less interesting with every chapter.

Everything else has a thread so whatever.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I do get the feeling a large portion of Straighten Up is lost due to it's format.
You're already dealing with a lack of audio so all the focus gets placed on the animation andfrom what I've seen I don't think the artist has the chops to pull this off successfully.

Murata could probably draw a bitching dancing manga.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
To be honest I stopped reading on the panel where someone said "This is that song from Frozen!"

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Senor Candle posted:

To be honest I stopped reading on the panel where someone said "This is that song from Frozen!"

But then the other kid said "that's kinda lame" I think.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I have high hopes for Straighten Up mostly because of the author's older manga, which to be fair were based off of 2ch postings and a lot more cynical. Still, I feel like he can probably tell a solid story given the chance. Also he's totally a goon for wanting to play Magic the gathering after work.

Black Clover is still doing really well for itself since it got a push and it has managed to break into the top 5 a few times. The mimic joke was pretty great as well.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Allarion posted:

I have high hopes for Straighten Up mostly because of the author's older manga, which to be fair were based off of 2ch postings and a lot more cynical. Still, I feel like he can probably tell a solid story given the chance. Also he's totally a goon for wanting to play Magic the gathering after work.

Black Clover is still doing really well for itself since it got a push and it has managed to break into the top 5 a few times. The mimic joke was pretty great as well.

Note: he is referring to Masturbation Master Kurosawa! and Molester Man, neither of which is nearly as lewd as the title would suggest. Okay, Masturbation master does involve some, er, fluids.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Molester man was a surprisingly good manga for what it was called, and probably one of my favorite relationship stories, since it's basically an E/N story where the goon manages to make one step forward with his life.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

masturbation master is also like that, although not really a relationship

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
For anyone who's curious about Lady Justice which Viz did not pick up for Jump Start last week, here's a Japanese link. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't, because other than the usual panties joke and other fanservicey parts (still less than Food Wars or To Love Ru in comparison), it looks basically like a teenage Wonder Woman/Supergirl story.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Allarion posted:

For anyone who's curious about Lady Justice which Viz did not pick up for Jump Start last week, here's a Japanese link. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't, because other than the usual panties joke and other fanservicey parts (still less than Food Wars or To Love Ru in comparison), it looks basically like a teenage Wonder Woman/Supergirl story.

It looked a bit cheescakey, but my "tolerance" for that is probably lower than most people since I haven't really follow anime/manga heavily for a long time. The cheesecake also felt really forced. That probably comes with the territory, but it only furthers my feeling it'd be better if it was removed. That said, it looked ok for a first issue. The jokes about her growing up were probably the best part. Outside of that, the battle and reveal felt a bit formulaic and going through the paces. However, that is probably a result of the issue having to establish everything. It could have been better, but it could have been worse. I can see it developing into something good with time.

Also, spotted a little shoutout.

Covok fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 25, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Devilyman reminds me a bit of Death Note if it were a comedy. Which I like. I also hope Straighten Up sticks around, it's adorable as hell.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Waffleman_ posted:

Devilyman reminds me a bit of Death Note if it were a comedy. Which I like. I also hope Straighten Up sticks around, it's adorable as hell.

I totally agree about Devilyman, but it's just not hitting the right notes for me. I'll have to see what chapters 2 and 3 come up with.

Straighten Up has been a pure joy to read. I really hope it stays.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, we'll have to see past the establishing of the premise and see how the series is going to conduct itself on a chapter by chapter basis.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Those two pages of Lady Justice made it look really cool. :smith:

Nth'ing on the Straighten Up love, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like Straighten Up so much I actually took this week's survey and asked them to keep it around.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gakkyu Hotei returns this week in WSJ's biggest issue yet!

Edit: The ending of Gakkyu Hotei is pretty underwhelming, but I guess that's what happens when you're cut short.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 8, 2015

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Devilyman is better than I expected. It's actually making me want to vote for it a bit over Straighten Up, just because I can't think of where that'll go.

Since I'm reading Bakuman right now, I want to see it as a battle manga.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I lost a lot of interest in Food Wars when it became Competition High School Type 8f (Super Elite Talent, subtype Rich As gently caress). I hadn't read any of it until it showed up in SJA, but the Iron Chef-like segment it started off with in SJA was decent.

I'm still skipping right over Nisekoi. My eyes just slide right off the page most times.

Seraph of the End's too dismal; there's little hope to be seen and just the 'good' guys just got their asses kicked despite last-second Shonen Power Up. It's just not fun.

I wish they hadn't've cut out a bunch of chapters of My Hero Academia.

I'm still mostly lost with Blue Exorcist--didn't start SJA until it was probably 30+ chapters in. I was quite surprised there was a half-nipple in this chapter.

Of the current try-outs, I still like Straighten Up more than Devilyman, although I loathed the character design for the male senior dance club guy. Maybe I just want more sane slice-of-life stuff right now.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Edit: The ending of Gakkyu Hotei is pretty underwhelming, but I guess that's what happens when you're cut short.

The entire last chapter was pretty much "This is how the story would have played out if I hadn't been cancelled suddenly" so yeah, I guess that's inevitable.

I'm getting slightly more interested in Devilyman but I still like Straighten Up better by a pretty large margin.

Agreed that I'm steadily losing interest in Food Wars the more over the top the school gets.

I have no idea wtf is happening with Blue Exorcist at any point and I don't expect to since my entire experience with the series is watching the first episode of the anime a hundred years ago.

Seraph of the End is still really not selling me on ever bothering with the anime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

At least Jump managed to let Gakkyu Hotei come to an end. Doesn't happen for a lot of stuff.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I enjoy the absurdity of Food Wars, but I'm mainly in it it see the ridiculously good cooking over anything else.

Devilyman's definitely interesting, I wonder how long the concept will sustain itself, but the third chapter of Straighten Up was just too drat cute so it's got to get my vote.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Devilyman had a fantastic third chapter. I think that I like it better than Straighten Up, but I think that Jump could use something like Straighten Up more than it could use Devilyman.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
To be honest, I don't understand these polls. It's basically just us deciding which series they aren't going to put the effort into translating. I wish there was a Shonen Jump we could get that was just a translated Japanese version. I honestly could not give less of a poo poo about the first three chapters of series I already own, but I sure would like to read Haikyuu!! week to week legally.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 10, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The problem with new jump series is that I just can't get attached to anything least it gets canned. Evey series I've even vaguely liked has been shot in the head just as it comes to bloom with Stealth Symphony being the key one from the Alpha translated lot.

So I want to read Step Up but I know in my heart of hearts what will continue is Develryman and I know that it'll rot into the same DBZ nonsense that farts up like half of alpha's lineup (I mean, christ, Naruto ended and it's still haunting the magazine)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 10, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Black Clover's been doing well. It managed to beat out Assassination Classroom and One Piece last week, so Jump's been pushing it like they did with My Hero Academia. Ultra Battle Satellite is probably the next series getting canned. Kagamigami has also been steadily dropping for a while too.

You never know about some series. Soul Catcher(s) was around for quite a while before it got moved off into Jump Next. Course, most of those chapters were never translated so we never knew.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 10, 2015

coathat
May 21, 2007

Behead those who insult Dragonball.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Allarion posted:

Black Clover's been doing well. It managed to beat out Assassination Classroom and One Piece last week...

That is a crazy sentence to me.

I think it'll get better, but right now it's pretty much like a mix of old Naruto and generic manga. The world seems fun.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Black Clover is still as bland as bland can get. And the main character is incredibly annoying. He's like Naruto as a kid. Except Naruto had a reason to act the way he did.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Skychrono posted:

That is a crazy sentence to me.

I think it'll get better, but right now it's pretty much like a mix of old Naruto and generic manga. The world seems fun.

It's not the first time it's done that. It has jumped up there a few times already. I just didn't mention it just in case it's one of those one hit wonder kind of things. It still might be, but it's done fairly well for itself. I'm tempted to say it's supposed to be Jump's answer to Seven Deadly Sins since fantasy manga seems to be all the rage with kids these days. On the sales front, Seven Deadly Sins has been the top selling manga for the first half of 2015.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

coathat posted:

Behead those who insult Dragonball.
Isn't that Jump's business model?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
no, that's "cancel anything good"

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue is out. There's a one shot of Folie À Deux. It seems pretty cool to me.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Saint Seiya is terrible. I recognize it probably invented half the tropes we see in fighting shonen manga, but it's just so...ugh. It's nearly 30 years old, and it's aged terribly. The art is bad, the plotting is bad, the characters are unlikable, and the superpower rationalization is stupid.

I'll be glad when this flashback run is over.
Just like I'm glad Zexal is finally done.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Saint Seiya is terrible. I recognize it probably invented half the tropes we see in fighting shonen manga, but it's just so...ugh. It's nearly 30 years old, and it's aged terribly. The art is bad, the plotting is bad, the characters are unlikable, and the superpower rationalization is stupid.

I'll be glad when this flashback run is over.
Just like I'm glad Zexal is finally done.

Yeah, I have to agree. I never saw or read it originally, but it seems it didn't age well.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It doesn't really improve as it goes along either. It's just constant flimsy excuses for fights with no downtime or character development against increasingly implausible tiers of enemies for ambiguous stakes. It's basically like the last few years of Bleach, except not having fun early arcs and visually interesting designs to fall back on. There's definitely worse shonen stuff around, but few that were as long running or popular.

nakahara38
Nov 19, 2013
I buy these once every so often, when I see an interesting One-Shot, but I just can't seem to get into digital manga, especially when I can get it for free elsewhere (Please excuse my utter lack of morals, I can't help it!)
Free scanlated manga elsewhere isn't my main reason for not being a regular customer however, It's that I have a lot of trouble focusing on it on a computer. I had nearly every issue of SJ when it was still being printed physically, and I miss that. I'm an old timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Thanks for sharing? Dunno what you want us to do about it.

• Locked thread