Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I can't remember the last time I reacted so negatively to a series as I did to E-Robot. No laughs, no appreciation of the art, just a lot of dumbfounded looks and head shaking, basically from page 1. Zexal is the only other contender in that category.
I knew something was up when I saw the cover preview last week; I basically thought "Oh, looks like she's a robot with E-cups. Welp."

My tolerance for harem series has apparently evaporated over the years; it's rare I do more than skim through Nisekoi. I tried for the first couple months I had SJA, but I just couldn't stomach it. I like the art, but whenever I try to read it it's Yet Another Girl in love with Keitaro, and maybe she has a key to the ridiculous lock and they promised to go to Tokyo-U together when they were 5 but no one remembers anything about it. Except everyone's a superpowered crime boss or enforcer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Allarion posted:

The key is to never have high expectations of harem series since most of them end up being trashy nonsense falling back on cliches from decades ago. E-robot was just absurd enough since it just barreled and weaponized through every cliche that it got a few chuckles outta me, but I doubt it'll last for long.

You should still read Truthism though.

That looks like fun-absurd, not creepy-absurd.

I guess I'm just expecting to much when I hope harem series have moved beyond Love Hina and Ranma's well-worn tropes, but I can't remember the last time I was surprised. I suppose that's what defines a harem series, though. A harem series with a more mature concept stops being a harem series.

Even if E-Robot wasn't a harem series, though, I'd still find it repulsive. There have been other sexy-girlbot-and-the-male-schlub-that-loves-her or cliched harem series that I don't come to loathe in two pages. I'd probably enjoy Nisekoi more if it wasn't so by the numbers.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I lost a lot of interest in Food Wars when it became Competition High School Type 8f (Super Elite Talent, subtype Rich As gently caress). I hadn't read any of it until it showed up in SJA, but the Iron Chef-like segment it started off with in SJA was decent.

I'm still skipping right over Nisekoi. My eyes just slide right off the page most times.

Seraph of the End's too dismal; there's little hope to be seen and just the 'good' guys just got their asses kicked despite last-second Shonen Power Up. It's just not fun.

I wish they hadn't've cut out a bunch of chapters of My Hero Academia.

I'm still mostly lost with Blue Exorcist--didn't start SJA until it was probably 30+ chapters in. I was quite surprised there was a half-nipple in this chapter.

Of the current try-outs, I still like Straighten Up more than Devilyman, although I loathed the character design for the male senior dance club guy. Maybe I just want more sane slice-of-life stuff right now.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Saint Seiya is terrible. I recognize it probably invented half the tropes we see in fighting shonen manga, but it's just so...ugh. It's nearly 30 years old, and it's aged terribly. The art is bad, the plotting is bad, the characters are unlikable, and the superpower rationalization is stupid.

I'll be glad when this flashback run is over.
Just like I'm glad Zexal is finally done.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Asimo posted:

It doesn't really improve as it goes along either. It's just constant flimsy excuses for fights with no downtime or character development against increasingly implausible tiers of enemies for ambiguous stakes. It's basically like the last few years of Bleach, except not having fun early arcs and visually interesting designs to fall back on. There's definitely worse shonen stuff around, but few that were as long running or popular.

Goddamn, Saint Seiya actually starts with a tournament. It's only like chapter 3, and it's a straight up superpower tournament with 100,000 people in a stadium, and real-time Power Levels on a goddamn jumbotron, and the main character chumps a big lummox while all the other competitors are like "That big lummox was stupid, of course the protagonist was going to easily win, but I'll kick his rear end." It's like Shonen 090--Remedial Storytelling.

I remember seeing at least part of a few episodes of the anime when it was on Toonami or Adult Swim or whatever, way back when, and I thought it was just like Voltron except in chrome armor, or Sailor Moon Boys Edition. Maybe it evolves to that later.

Bleach needs to end, more than Naruto ever did. And we're getting yet another let's-redeem-a-defeated-antagonist flashback.

• Locked thread