Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oh poo poo yeah, the second half of sengoku youko is right up there with hoshi no samidare for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Sengoku Youko gets so good after part 1. Part 1’s fine but hot drat it’s just excellent afterwards

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

He's definitely got Solte on the mind since he put her front and center on the anthology thing he's been posting on twitter about but it definitely has a schedule of "when i have time to do it"

thetoughestbean posted:

…gently caress I’m going to have to buy my first Tokyopop book since I was a literal child

:negative:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
There was actually a Solte chapter back in like, November, but I’ve been really busy and am just catching up to it now. I’m in the middle of it, hopefully ill have it translated by next week sometime. :f5:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

World End Solte Chapter 9

If you don't recognize the bishop's little friend at their hideout, check chapter 7 again :)

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 14, 2023

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
That is a deeply spooky inn. The chapter almost feels like one of Mizukami's shorts, with an entirely contained little horrorshow.

Y'all take care now.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Squidster posted:

That is a deeply spooky inn. The chapter almost feels like one of Mizukami's shorts, with an entirely contained little horrorshow.

With the kinda simple art and how busy he's been im not surprised :v:

still liked it

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

DOROTHY
Saihate no Solte 10

so the actual best fighter in the Order is the bishop, right?

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 27, 2023

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
I got my copies of Solte v 2 and Sengoku Youko v 1. Kind of weird that we'll be getting like 6 volumes of Mizukami's work this year. Cannot believe I'm supporting Tokyopop again. Quality is good on SY 1. They slapped that ugly rear end bar on the side (I wonder if Stu Levy still personally selects each one).

But for the first time in many, many years I am wanting to have a glossary to get some more context for what a Sendou is. I get that it's a master of magic but... I have read a lot of manga and both 'sendou' and 'katawara' seem to be new to me. There's a pithy explanation for both in the story but I feel like I want more. Are these terms that Mizukami is inventing or is there a history to them? I have done a brief look and found nothing for sendou which leaves me assuming it's some kind of hermit onmiyoji. (I've also read this story in scans before but 'sendou' was just used as his last name)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't know how it was written in Japanese, but it's probably one of those things where an author can just make up a word whose meaning is obvious from its kanji, and it looks like the translation decided to gloss that by having a brief description following the use of the word. Honestly I think that's more elegant than having a translation note every time.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Clarste posted:

I don't know how it was written in Japanese, but it's probably one of those things where an author can just make up a word whose meaning is obvious from its kanji, and it looks like the translation decided to gloss that by having a brief description following the use of the word. Honestly I think that's more elegant than having a translation note every time.
I think you're right and in context it makes his relationship to his Kokugetsusai easier to understand. I just finished it. It feels exciting to have a full, well written translation of a story that I've loved for a long time.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
As I understand it, “Sendou” is a real, albeit esoteric thing, which is rooted in Tao mysticism. Its the Japanese word for the training practices to become a master (a Sanjin/Senjin).
One essentially concludes their sendou and becomes a senjin once they’ve unlocked the secrets of immortality. I think it usually points to the practices of traveling the land, hanging out on mountains a lot, learning to be more magic, instead of a title of the practitioner themselves, but not 100% on that point.

It’s been a while since I re-read SY so I don’t remember exactly how he uses it there, but it’s probably a bit of a loose adaption, though it fits with Jinka’s goal of fully transforming himself.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
close random example is that in naruto the sage stuff is senjutsu

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I wasn't aware of it being an actual word, but like I said, the kanji 仙道 would just obviously mean "sage path" or "way of the sage" to any Japanese reader, so it doesn't actually matter if it's a real word or not.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Happy spring, your quarterly update is here! Saihate no Solte 11

God drat, Black is cold.
God drat, Firo is going hard.
God drat, that guy's haircut sucks.

Next chapter pegged for "summer," probably July or August.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1678983753446862848?s=20

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I’m… hesitant. The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer anime wasn’t good, and Sengoku Youko is going to need at least three seasons to be fully told well. Plus it doesn’t exactly have the strongest start in the world, it takes a while to get really excellent

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I just want a solid adaptation by good studio. :pray:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Apparently it's by White Fox.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don't care I'm excited anyway!!! I wanna see a mountain kick a castle.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sengoku Youko is the most mainstream battle manga-y of Mizukami's works, so I expect it to translate well to anime.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't care I'm excited anyway!!! I wanna see a mountain kick a castle.

White Fox's stuff have generally been good. Re:Zero is probably their biggest claim to fame, though even that isn't amazingly animated or anything, it's strength is in in its everything else.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Its strength is in everything other than animation? Oh...oh no

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean their stuff has always looked fine, stylish even, but never to the level of something like Mappa or Wit. Idk what to tell you man, White Fox doing it is almost certainly good news considering what we got before. :shrug:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

as long as it has something bugger than lbh’s couchchange budget it should have a chance

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I remember kinda disliking the main guy and his fox girlfriend, but liking the rest of the cast. Overall I remember very little specifics about the story, though.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Mordja posted:

White Fox's stuff have generally been good. Re:Zero is probably their biggest claim to fame, though even that isn't amazingly animated or anything, it's strength is in in its everything else.

Are you drawing a distinction between raw animation quality in an adaptation and structure/pacing/framing?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Sengoku Youko anime officially confirmed, slated for 3 seasons starting Jan 2024.
Will "cover the story from beginning to end" per Mizukami tweet.

Teaser trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAVO8UwJcv4

Cast comments via Magcomi: https://sengoku-youko.com/staffcast/ (note: translations not immediately forthcoming from me; anyone who wants to, go nuts)

Concept art:

Jinka (VA: Soma Saito)

Tama (VA: Yuuki Takada)

Shinsuke (VA: Ryohei Kimura)

Shakugan (VA: Tomoyo Kurosawa)

Senya (VA: Hiroki Nanami)

Tsukiko (VA: Maaya Uchida)

Production Staff
Director: Masahiro Aizawa
Composition/Screenwriter: Jukki Hanada
Character Design: Yosuke Okuda
Sound Design: Evan Call
Production by: White Fox

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I wonder where they will put the part 1/part 2 split. End of first cour?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
New serialization, “Climax Necromance”, announced in Young King Ours, with writing and roughs by Mizukami, and Seto Ichiri illustrating. (Same artist who did a Biscuit Hammer continuation a little while back.)

Starting in March 2024, described as an “Isekai summoner battle” series.

(It’s the one on the left)

https://fxtwitter.com/nekogaeru/status/1730131613097636307

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wait a minute, Biscuit Hammer had a continuation?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, the what the what now?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Looks like it's a one-chapter thing following Mikazuki a bit after the ending, called "Sonogo no Hero." First I've heard of it, too!

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
On further inspection it looks like it was just a one-shot, but apparently it’s shortly after the main story, about Shinonome going around being a superhero (read: beating up yakuza)?

Also has a line about the artist being a “disciple” of Mizukami, which usually means they worked as an assistant under them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

So it's more of an officially sanctioned fanfic.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Looks like there's a new series called Climax Necromance.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Looks like there's a new series called Climax Necromance.

And it's another banger. I loved the truck-kun fake out. And I like this twist on an isekai. I hope Azulaila plays the long game here.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Man likes his Gunbuster, huh?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im pretty sure it's illegal to not like gunbuster in japan

and in these forums :toughguy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What's a gunbuster?