Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The first part seemed to emphasize human cruelty, while the current story emphasizes human kindness. Jinka seemed very much justified in his goal of becoming a full demon rather than a human, because most of the humans were assholes, and those who weren't still got screwed over by the assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Spirit Circle chapter 9: Read Online / DDL

Well uh, that's some mood whiplash for you.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I rarely comment despite reading here a lot, but let me just say this:

Thanks you very much for translating Spirit Circle. I've heard a lot of good things about Mizukami and i tried to read various of his works in the past, and Spirit Circle is the first one that i honestly, thoroughly and completely enjoy. After losing interest in L&BH and Sengoku Youko some 20-30 chapters in, i feel like i am finally seeing a work that is up to all the praise he's getting.

(It's an amazingly well-rounded translation, too. Above average.)

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

HenryEx posted:

I rarely comment despite reading here a lot, but let me just say this:

Thanks you very much for translating Spirit Circle. I've heard a lot of good things about Mizukami and i tried to read various of his works in the past, and Spirit Circle is the first one that i honestly, thoroughly and completely enjoy. After losing interest in L&BH and Sengoku Youko some 20-30 chapters in, i feel like i am finally seeing a work that is up to all the praise he's getting.

(It's an amazingly well-rounded translation, too. Above average.)

Completely agree. I started L&BH several times based on all the glowing praise it gets and lost interest several times around 20-30 issues in before forcing myself to finish it and only thinking it was alright in the end. Still reading Sengoku Youko as it comes out but catching up on the backlog initially was a bit of a slog.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I like his other works, but Spirit Circle really does seem to be his best one yet, in my opinion anyway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Spirit Circle chapter 9: Read Online / DDL

Well uh, that's some mood whiplash for you.

I wonder if by the end his lives will emerge as full-on alternate personalities.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I have the opposite feeling as several posters on this page, I think that LBH is one of my favorite things I've ever read and while I really like all his other work, nothing has come close to it. That's ok though, not everyone should like the exact same things!

Much more importantly
Sengoku Youko 48!
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/156210/sengoku-youko_v9_ch48_by_vexed-scans

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 12, 2013

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
is...is that last page a double double spread?
only brogun :allears:

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Wow I love that spread.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's like one of those fold-out Nintendo Power posters in size rather than a traditional double page spread. Pretty badass, mostly-naked land god girl notwithstanding.

Also I guess legend has it that Yoshiteru spreading out a huge array of swords Unlimited Blade Works-style during his last stand actually happened.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

scaterry posted:

is...is that last page a double double spread?
only brogun :allears:

Magical :allears:

And not to steal the Sengoku Youko thunder, but while the conversation's fresh.. Biscuit Hammer is also my favorite Mizu-manga by a fair stretch so far (hopefully spirit circle has legs to it yet)

What I really like about Mizukami is how many shonen genre conventions he tosses together into a setting and plot, but writes all of his characters so real and down-to-earth that their actions and motivations tend to subvert the cliches. Then, when everyone IS ready to own up and throw down, it feels more meaningful because we usually know why they're resorting to brawling, instead of fights being a forgone conclusion of Truth, Justice, and the Nipponian Way. If we didn't have the focus on Brogun hanging out learning to fly and talking Whitey down, and it was instead "yeah lemme polish my fifty swords, did I mention I kick super rear end?" for a few chapters, we'd go to "oh man FINALLY! this fight's gonna be cool" instead of "holy poo poo this is happening". Not that that's a bad thing, but we have Toriko and Jojo threads already :v:

Bisuit Hammer is great for this because there's a very diverse cast that gave the series a lot of personalities to explore and play against eachother, and the variety of powers that come into play (on both sides!) keep battles pretty fresh if somehow none of the characters are doing it for you. I haven't reread it for a while, so I can't speak reliably to the low points (it sounds like some of you guys are getting stuck), but I remember it as being a hell of a ride.

I'm glad you guys are liking Spirit Circle, of course, and I like it too, but I'm kind of surprised that anyone would prefer it to Biscuit at this point. Fuuta's likable enough, but kind of bland as protagonists go. The past lives have some great dialog, because he has a lot more interplay with other characters there, but in present day I'd like the poor bastard to have a sounding board besides the airhead(or is she?), the stonewall(or is she??), and.. himself(OR IS HE???). And while it is a pretty novel setup, I'm itching for more plot and it feels like it's being drug out a bit. I'm probably being harsh, though, considering we're not ten chapters in v:v:v

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
Hooray, I love sword spam. It's my favorite shounen power/fighting style/gimmick. Sengoku Youko has definitely gotten much better since the second part started after what's-his-face turned into ultra fox and disappeared. Senya is a much more compelling protagonist, in my opinion.

My problem with L&BH is that I love the world and ideas but everything feels so listless. Like, it's so low-key and subdued that nothing feels threatening or dangerous. The story and characters are great but... I just don't care. Does that make sense? The execution is kind of boring. I understand this is probably not a very common opinion and I wouldn't bash the series or tell people to stay away from it. It just didn't do it for me, personally.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, the original LBH thread was titled "The chillest apocalypse ever". I think for many, the more understated approach allowed for greater emphasis on the characters and prevented it from becoming just another shounen-like battle wankfest. Instead the focus was on the trials and tribulations of the cast and their personal problems, as they were all fundamentally nice people but with a good share of issues. Akane's character for example was a real stand-out. This made the ultimate pay-off with the ending that much more powerful for me.

E: To put it another way, no I did not particularly care about Animus and his aspirations and the dangers they represented. I did however care that the characters cared, and that was enough for me to feel the weight of the situation.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 12, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Yeah, I found the laidback mood an interesting change to how the story would've usually been told. Like Nate said, it made the story more about the characters than about the upcoming apocalypse. And while I said that Spirit Circle might be the best one, that was mostly an impression formed from the whole knight arc which I found impressive. So while it might've been a premature statement, I was pretty much expecting more of that sort of thing.

That said, his other stuff's great. I especially liked how the writing in Hoshi no Samidere treated the while destroy-the-world aspiration, with an understanding that it's pretty much an immature fantasy. That's not all I liked, there's a whole bunch more. It's just, well, the way all his works takes an indepth look into the psychology of their characters and displays them with far more insight than most works manage.

And, of course, it's perfectly fine to like some of his works and not others, or to prefer different ones than I do (and honestly, said preference's pretty weak--I liked them all almost evenly).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Kaja Rainbow posted:

That said, his other stuff's great. I especially liked how the writing in Hoshi no Samidere treated the while destroy-the-world aspiration, with an understanding that it's pretty much an immature fantasy.

That's one of the things I liked about it as well. In a way I want to see the "I want to take over the world" or "I have taken over the world mwahahahaha" treated in the same kind of way more often as well.

The other thing about biscuit hammer is whilst it was more understated overall you did have actual characters dieing and it being made part of the fabric of the story in a way basically any shounen manga doesn't.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yesssss. http://www.mangareader.net/sengoku-youko/49

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Holy gently caress. The shogun is the best character, page 8 was amazing.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Hahaha. Demon Dance, Karmanic Wings, Flower Blade? Those spreads are unbelievable!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This chapter is just glorious front-to-back.

Next. :smug:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

This chapter gave me huge Exalted vibes. Hilarious, action-packed, and inspirational.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"Hidden Technique?

He's just holding a bunch of swords..."

Fuckin' amazing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This dude would have been right at home amongst all the psychics and poo poo in Biscuit Hammer.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Another installment of that Angel manga!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Were the other chapters one shots or something? Looks like that was the first serialized one.

I chuckled at the guns panel.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So I finally got around to starting Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer Friday since I had a few days off and no plans, and welp, read the whole thing in two days. It really is as good as everyone says. I started reading everything else he's done now that I've finished Biscuit Hammer, and have now finished catching up on Sengoku Youko and read what's out of Spirit Circle, Middle Aged Angel and the Sanjin Sadou and while I think Sengoku Youko is fun I don't really think it has the heart of L&BH or Spirit Circle. I'm enjoying it more for the art and the fights than for the characters. The art is spectacular at times though, especially when he was drawing Douren (the Tiger monk). I loved the way the stripes were peeling off him like flames and how rough and sketchy the art got when it was showing him having fun fighting.

Can someone just confirm for me though? Is Spirit Cirlce ongoing, or has it finished up in favor of Sengoku Youko? I had thought originally it was just another of his earlier works that didn't last long, but one or two posts here suggest it's ongoing, and if it is then that'll be the best news because I'm really loving what I've read of it.

Nate RFB posted:

I think Mizukami finished Biscuit Hammer and thought to himself, "Man, that was a well-knit group. Let's go in the complete opposite direction next time!"

I mean, god drat :stare:

Posts like this had me fearing that it'd be a really dark or depressing work but I find it really hopeful and sincere despite it's sometimes dark tones and can't wait to see where it's going if it's still being published. Still, while Kouko and Fuuta are somewhat enemies at the moment I can definitely see them pulling together as things go on. Things didn't exactly start off all roses for Yuuhi and his friends in Biscuit Hammer either.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Both are ongoing but Spirit Circle is the newer series

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
New Spirit Circle: Read Online / DDL

Loving Kouko working her arms on the controller before she tosses the first one.
I actually noticed the fire thing last chapter, and assumed that's the reason Kouko changed her tune all of a sudden, but was hoping someone else would call it out :saddowns:. I was looking forwards to some more pasts from her perspective, but maybe that'll have to wait. Or maybe she's just tsundere :getin:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Roman Empire at Alexandria maybe?

The first tankoban cover is quite simple compared to his other series:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Loving Kouko working her arms on the controller before she tosses the first one.

I was more amused that Fuuta seems to have chosen one of the more humiliating opponents to beat Kouku up with in the fighting game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm personally hoping that Kouko's scar is a product of her past lives like the mark slowly appearing on Fuuta's cheek. Can't wait until his past live scars her or something.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
new angel thing

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

NERD.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The angel's sarcastic sidekick gets my seal of approval.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

HenryEx posted:

I'm personally hoping that Kouko's scar is a product of her past lives like the mark slowly appearing on Fuuta's cheek. Can't wait until his past live scars her or something.

I was about to ask if we had seen when that happened yet. I thought we might have but couldn't remember it. I'm convinced it happen in a past life as well.

One thing I like is how Fuuta seems to have stopped covering up his scar.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Munin posted:

One thing I like is how Fuuta seems to have stopped covering up his scar.
Well, he's been at home the last few chapters, so he might not have changed his mind on that point. I DO notice, however, that it's much more faded compared to Vann (understandably) and now Flors. maybe evidence of being absolved by degrees through multiple pasts? Might be a chance for him and kouko yet, if not in this life then maybe the next?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
If a tree falls in the forest, is it still a double post a month later? Spirit Circle chapter 11: Read Online / DDL

Cannot WAIT to see how this goes horribly wrong

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 12, 2013

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I wonder when, historically, "genre-savvy" started being a thing. Did the people of that time period hear enough stories about prophecies going wrong to think, "hey, if I know I'm fated to do something, trying to avert it is a really bad idea"? That's really obvious to people in the here-and-now, but it's a pretty understandable mistake if you don't have all of those cautionary tales. It's a shame; a life where they both decided to leave each other alone would probably help resolve their reincarnation feud.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It figures at least one life would be "Yo this poo poo is hosed up, let's do something about it." Wonder if it's too soon for Kouko to get her forehead scar; Mizukami might be saving that for something big later.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nate RFB posted:

It figures at least one life would be "Yo this poo poo is hosed up, let's do something about it." Wonder if it's too soon for Kouko to get her forehead scar; Mizukami might be saving that for something big later.

I'm thinking that might be one where their original situations are reversed and he's the one who ends up being hosed over by her her desire to get revenge at all costs, possibly following this one given that she seems to be honestly trying to fight their fate and will presumably end up on the losing end once more. Her next life will presumably be even more trigger happy against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Page 18 is pretty fantastic. Simple, rather casually added, but very effective stylistic piece there.