Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So I finally got around to starting Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer Friday since I had a few days off and no plans, and welp, read the whole thing in two days. It really is as good as everyone says. I started reading everything else he's done now that I've finished Biscuit Hammer, and have now finished catching up on Sengoku Youko and read what's out of Spirit Circle, Middle Aged Angel and the Sanjin Sadou and while I think Sengoku Youko is fun I don't really think it has the heart of L&BH or Spirit Circle. I'm enjoying it more for the art and the fights than for the characters. The art is spectacular at times though, especially when he was drawing Douren (the Tiger monk). I loved the way the stripes were peeling off him like flames and how rough and sketchy the art got when it was showing him having fun fighting.

Can someone just confirm for me though? Is Spirit Cirlce ongoing, or has it finished up in favor of Sengoku Youko? I had thought originally it was just another of his earlier works that didn't last long, but one or two posts here suggest it's ongoing, and if it is then that'll be the best news because I'm really loving what I've read of it.

Nate RFB posted:

I think Mizukami finished Biscuit Hammer and thought to himself, "Man, that was a well-knit group. Let's go in the complete opposite direction next time!"

I mean, god drat :stare:

Posts like this had me fearing that it'd be a really dark or depressing work but I find it really hopeful and sincere despite it's sometimes dark tones and can't wait to see where it's going if it's still being published. Still, while Kouko and Fuuta are somewhat enemies at the moment I can definitely see them pulling together as things go on. Things didn't exactly start off all roses for Yuuhi and his friends in Biscuit Hammer either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Loving Kouko working her arms on the controller before she tosses the first one.

I was more amused that Fuuta seems to have chosen one of the more humiliating opponents to beat Kouku up with in the fighting game.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nate RFB posted:

It figures at least one life would be "Yo this poo poo is hosed up, let's do something about it." Wonder if it's too soon for Kouko to get her forehead scar; Mizukami might be saving that for something big later.

I'm thinking that might be one where their original situations are reversed and he's the one who ends up being hosed over by her her desire to get revenge at all costs, possibly following this one given that she seems to be honestly trying to fight their fate and will presumably end up on the losing end once more. Her next life will presumably be even more trigger happy against him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hidden in his robes presumably.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DrSunshine posted:

The story gets amazingly epic later on, and has one of the most fulfilling manga endings I've ever read.

As much as this is true my favorite thing about LBH has always been how well Mizukami managed to capture the more mundane aspects of the story, like how the main cast chilled out and drank beers regularly and became such good friends. It's one of my favorite manga for that reason alone and it's part of why I don't think I like his other stuff as much as I do Biscuit Hammer, because that down-to-Earth element it gave the story isn't as well done in any of them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Crow Knight becomes a lot more tolerable as the story goes on because he becomes less of an rear end in a top hat and more of a friend who just happens to want/like to fight a lot.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is there something I'm forgetting from "Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer" that "The Pillows" would be the only real band possible to do it's soundtrack? Then again, I never really cared for them one way or the other.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If his demons are anything to go by then the reason is probably that Senya just doesn't view himself as a man yet, just a bigger boy - so he thinks he's not worthy of her or feels he still has to do something before he can go for it with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Don't even care. So long as the paper doesn't dissolve on skin contact and it isn't written in jinglish or something I'm fine with any chance I can get to own Biscuit Hammer for myself.