Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Goofa posted:

Picked this up today and it's been lots of fun.

Though I can't manage to not get wrecked by the singleplayer AI.

Fun fact about the single player AI, "easy" mode is harder to beat than the hardest mode.

Easy will just snag the ball the safest way possible, form a block, and slowly march down the field.

The harder modes will try all sorts of stuff to try to score, but given the risky nature of blood bowl, will end up with a lot of turnovers and inadvertently killing it's own players. It will occasionally pull off a brilliant move, but it's far more likely to have a gutter runner trip and die because it's using all 3 GFI's every turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I suppose this is the most pressing question; are LE and CE compatible? Can CE and LE play games together at all?

I would imagine not, as it's not simply DLC like it really probably should be, but you never know.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Surprisingly, the answer seems to be yes, it can.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Also, unlike upgrading from Dark Elf to Legendary Edition, you can keep using your same online teams from LE in Chaos Edition.

I'm so glad I don't have to abandon my absurd +ST zerker +ST ulf Norse team.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone else have a problem with the entire nature of the team progression and leagues in this game? Some teams start out solid (like say, dwarfs with their block on basically everybody) but don't progress very well, while some teams progress to be horrifically good.

Then you've got the fact that individual players progress based on a dice roll, where some results are wildly better than others (EG: +1 strength versus a normal skill).

Isn't this just a death sentence for any kind of casual multiplayer play?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

With Chaos Dwarves in the game now, am I given the green light to play Dwarves in the GGL again?

Dwarves own y'all.

I play dwarves in the GGL so I'll play you whenever. All the dwarf haters are lying I've been playing even normal dwarves against goons.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Thern posted:

So are any of the new teams newbie friendly. I really should get back into this game.

Newbie teams are Orcs, Amazons, Norse, Skaven, Dwarves, and Chaos Dwarves. A lot of people say humans are newbie but I think they are pretty advanced.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Gort posted:

Anyone else have a problem with the entire nature of the team progression and leagues in this game? Some teams start out solid (like say, dwarfs with their block on basically everybody) but don't progress very well, while some teams progress to be horrifically good.

Then you've got the fact that individual players progress based on a dice roll, where some results are wildly better than others (EG: +1 strength versus a normal skill).

No because it all works out in the end. Our goon community is self policing so people can't just take entire chaos teams of claw or noone will play against you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gort posted:

The game is balanced and originally intended for league play. As in, you play some number of games, a playoffs, and a championship.

That said, "balance" has never, ever been a Games Workshop forte. It's clearly not a major design goal. There are good teams, okay teams, and really loving awful teams. Sometimes the really loving awful teams still win, though, because the dice are very important in blood bowl.

Someone mentioned that a natural 1 usually means you fail an action (unless you have a reroll, but you usually can't spend more than one reroll per turn). Well, the reverse is also true: no matter how risky, a natural 6 usually means success. So you occasionally manage a long bomb pass to a zombie, you occasionally scoop the ball up in three tackle zones and then dodge out to score with an ogre, and occasionally your goblin throws a -2 die block and still pows a chaos warrior into the injury box.

Even so, beginners are well-advised to pick one of the definitely-good teams: orcs are perhaps best for beginners because they have a variety of skills and positionals, they're good at punching, they can manage an okay passing game in a pinch, and their armor is generally good enough to not be easily crippled. Oh and their linemen are reasonably-costed so you can keep them going in the face of injuries and deaths.

Play your very first game ever against the AI, just to get used to the user interface, but after that you will do best being tutored by a friendly goon. Also reading the rulebook is absolutely mandatory: you can just start the game and mash buttons but you will quickly become extremely frustrated due to not understanding why certain things are happening.

The goons in the IRC channel really are friendly and helpful and in most time zones you can manage to get a friendly game where someone will talk to you about what you're doing wrong and get you to basic competence. Once you're there, the game is genuinely fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Leperflesh posted:

The game is balanced and originally intended for league play. As in, you play some number of games, a playoffs, and a championship.

That said, "balance" has never, ever been a Games Workshop forte. It's clearly not a major design goal. There are good teams, okay teams, and really loving awful teams. Sometimes the really loving awful teams still win, though, because the dice are very important in blood bowl.

Someone mentioned that a natural 1 usually means you fail an action (unless you have a reroll, but you usually can't spend more than one reroll per turn). Well, the reverse is also true: no matter how risky, a natural 6 usually means success. So you occasionally manage a long bomb pass to a zombie, you occasionally scoop the ball up in three tackle zones and then dodge out to score with an ogre, and occasionally your goblin throws a -2 die block and still pows a chaos warrior into the injury box.

Even so, beginners are well-advised to pick one of the definitely-good teams: orcs are perhaps best for beginners because they have a variety of skills and positionals, they're good at punching, they can manage an okay passing game in a pinch, and their armor is generally good enough to not be easily crippled. Oh and their linemen are reasonably-costed so you can keep them going in the face of injuries and deaths.

Play your very first game ever against the AI, just to get used to the user interface, but after that you will do best being tutored by a friendly goon. Also reading the rulebook is absolutely mandatory: you can just start the game and mash buttons but you will quickly become extremely frustrated due to not understanding why certain things are happening.

The goons in the IRC channel really are friendly and helpful and in most time zones you can manage to get a friendly game where someone will talk to you about what you're doing wrong and get you to basic competence. Once you're there, the game is genuinely fun.

Not sure why you're giving me the newbie spiel. I bought the game two editions ago.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sorry, I haven't memorized every Goon who ever bought Bloodbowl, and your question was phrased in a way that I'd expect from someone considering a purchase.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Anyone got any tips for playing the Norse? Specifically, how do you build a strategy around their armor value of 7?

I really love their kit and I want to be better with them.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Bedshaped posted:

Anyone got any tips for playing the Norse? Specifically, how do you build a strategy around their armor value of 7?

Kill your opponent before they kill you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Have you seen any of Yapo's LP with Norse?

Basically, do a lot of the things we didn't let him. Super-optimise blitzers, maximum pomb, take guard on any lino with the option, never let the opposition near the sideline. You're a very pushy bashy team, you just can't take being hit. Get a few players ahead, you're golden, get a few behind, you're hosed.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Goofa posted:

Picked this up today and it's been lots of fun.

Though I can't manage to not get wrecked by the singleplayer AI.

Quit playing against the singleplayer AI, it will actually make you worse when you play against goons. Just come to the irc channel and we can play some test games and really teach you to play.

The other reason you could be losing is if you are playing one of the bad team, or even if you are just playing a team that is hard for a newbie.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 13, 2012

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

Some big tips to improve your survivability are:

- Know when not to follow up on a block.
- Know when to be more aggressive with tossing 1-die-blocks to avoid receiving 2dbs on your opponents turn. The tactic is kind of like a more metal version of dodging elves away from players that you don't need marked after you've made your important moves. You want to be the one throwing punches, not receiving them.
- When you do have to mark players, well that's what unskilled/low-skilled linemen are for. Just try not to get your Guard or + stat linemen killed if you can avoid it.
- Learn to recognize and compensate for frenzy traps.
- Crowdsurfing might not get you SPP, but go for it whenever you can get away with it without being counter-surfed.
- Basically, you want to get a man advantage as fast as possible. Norse matches tend to snowball - the first team to be down 2-3 players is usually about to have a really bad day.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 13, 2012

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Two questions for a fairly newish player who just moved from Leg to Chaos Edition:

1) I'm playing online and don't have a way to chat. The icon is in the bottom left but I can't see anywhere to type? What am I missing... My opponent said hi so I guess chat is active, but there isn't anywhere to type.

2) Is there a way to import my campaign from the old version? Just curious...

Also, playing my first online game with my new Undead team, against a team of 4xOgres and a multitude of Snotlings. Very entertaining splatting the Snots; there's 4 turns to go and I'm up 3-0 and they only have the ogres still walking. Great introduction :) to playing online!

e: 3) Also, is there a problem with the achievements? I just won an online league game but didn't get the First Step achievement. Am I Boneheaded or something?

iajanus fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 13, 2012

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

iajanus posted:

Two questions for a fairly newish player who just moved from Leg to Chaos Edition:

1) Just press enter and it should popup in the lower left, chat window is in the same place as the dicelog.

2) No clue.

3) I got achievements earlier today, so I don't think they are busted.

Gort posted:

Not really, that's part of the charm, after a while you realised when you're outgunned against another team just on base stats. But so much of the game depends on positioning and rolling less dice that it's always possible to either out roll or out play a better team. A better team doesn't always mean a better coach, and I personally like the challenge in player some of the lower tier teams.

Washout posted:

I play dwarves in the GGL so I'll play you whenever. All the dwarf haters are lying I've been playing even normal dwarves against goons.

You say the GGL is self-policing, but at the same time you're playing dorfs :cheeky:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I am suddenly reminded; One of the ways I got friends into the game who otherwise didn't understand it was cKnoor's team descriptions in his LPs, where he gave the general gist of how teams play and that sort of thing. It might be worthwhile to toss something like that up in the second post so people can get a bit more of a understanding.

And not get frustrated by, say, picking orges.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Yeah this is the video that got me into Blood Bowl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vZIph3ygGk

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Lets continue this dumb what are the best single players in blood bowl conversation we had on IRC.

1. Wardancer (leap blodge and jesus they are good)
2. Witch Elf (Frenzy dodge jump up what?)
3. Gutter Runner (mv 9 and dodge and mutation access cripes!)
4. Werewolf (mv 8 claw yeow)
5. Bull Centaur (str 4 and fast and tough as poo poo)

I guess it says something that the best players are almost all agi 4?

Washout fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 13, 2012

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Washout posted:

I guess it says something that the best players are almost all agi 4?

I wouldn't say 3/5 of your list is "almost all." The defining trait for your picks is really their relative mobility. Wardancers just jump over anything in their way, if you drop the ball then a Gutter Runner or two will have it on the other side of the field before you know what the gently caress, and Bull Centaurs are... basically Saurs that can pick up the ball more of the time. Plus, I guess they've got sprint/sure feet going for them, and dodging before break tackle is somewhat less of a comedy option.

I do really like Witch Elves, but I wouldn't put them in the same class as Wardancers or Gunners, as you've got to get a Witch to survive a few levels before they can really shine. I'd think Pro Elf Catchers would belong on a top player list before them.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 13, 2012

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought Legendary on sale last year and couldn't get into it...I think I'll give it a try and drop in IRC sometime today, after picking up the new edition of course.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Well, on the achievement front the one for completing a pass just unlocked for me out of the blue in a game where I didn't attempt any passes...

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

The Orange Mage posted:

I bought Legendary on sale last year and couldn't get into it...I think I'll give it a try and drop in IRC sometime today, after picking up the new edition of course.

I can't even play this game anymore unless I'm playing goons. And a ton of us old vets are getting back into it now.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Washout posted:

I can't even play this game anymore unless I'm playing goons. And a ton of us old vets are getting back into it now.
Excellent! I think my failings last time were not playing with goons at all and trying to play it as a turn-based sports game as opposed to a turn-based RPG with alternate win conditions. :v:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

So I finally can stop using Fumbbl and get Cyanide (for better or for worse) but do I need to keep my copy of LE installed to run CE? THey seem to be different downloads and I know that CE isn't DLC, but I figured the question was worth fielding just in case.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
No, why would you? It's a separate game.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Son of a bitch does this mean I need to make new teams? Or can I import my old teams? I don't want to lose GGL-favourite Minowntaur BOSS METALZONE.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Son of a bitch does this mean I need to make new teams? Or can I import my old teams? I don't want to lose GGL-favourite Minowntaur BOSS METALZONE.

You keep your teams.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Chaos edition acts like a expansion in just about every way if you already have LE, but it's a standalone game.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I remember when Dark Elves edition came out and it was kind of jarring playing them because Jim's voice actor had clearly forgotten how to put on the voice he did for the first nine teams and he sounded incredibly forced and out of kilter with all the other random comments he makes midmatch.

Then when Legendary Edition came out he kind of got the hang of it again.

Apparently he lost it again bigtime for Chaos Edition. Bob meanwhile sounds exactly the same.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I guess the question here is why you don't have that poo poo muted.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

This is a vanity post about my special snowflake players.

This guy is my newest, he is only level 2 but looks like he is going places. If I get a double for a mutation I have no idea what to give him.

People try and kill the poo poo out of this dude, gets fouled all the time for some strange reason.

My vamp team actually has two guys like this. Two turn touch downs are really easy with my vamp team, provided I get lucky but since all my vamps have pro it's not too bad. I've been trying for a str 5 vamp for a long time, even made a second vamp team but no luck.

I actually have to hide this guy and only use him to blitz with, he gets the poo poo kicked out of himself otherwise.

This guy is super fun, although I regretted not getting dodge on him once I rolled the +str so he would live longer.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
So I was thinking about picking up Legendary edition for a 10 just to give the game a shot, and then later on, if it clicks with me, picking up Chaos Edition for the additional 10. I was wondering though if that was just an upgrade deal for the company sale on Steam this weekend, or if it's going to be a permanent thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Edison Carter posted:

So I was thinking about picking up Legendary edition for a 10 just to give the game a shot, and then later on, if it clicks with me, picking up Chaos Edition for the additional 10. I was wondering though if that was just an upgrade deal for the company sale on Steam this weekend, or if it's going to be a permanent thing.

Apparently is permanent. It's the way Cyanide handles new versions; instead of pushing it out as DLC for the base game, they release an entire new standalone game, but at a lower price point for people who already have the older version. Almost makes me feel bad for getting LE for like $7 on steam sale and then CE at the $10 price.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Orv posted:

I guess the question here is why you don't have that poo poo muted.

Not gonna lie, even after years, I'm still not sick of the commentary. Even though it know it all off by heart.

probably because i have a juvenile mind :smith:

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

jivjov posted:

Apparently is permanent. It's the way Cyanide handles new versions; instead of pushing it out as DLC for the base game, they release an entire new standalone game, but at a lower price point for people who already have the older version. Almost makes me feel bad for getting LE for like $7 on steam sale and then CE at the $10 price.

pseudo dlc? Whenever I get back to my house I'll hop into the irc. I know the rules and players and such, but don't know how to really play.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
I bought Dark Elves edition a couple years ago and never really got into it, but I'd like to give it a shot again. I already picked up CE for $10, but can I skip Legendary entirely, or would I be missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
If you have CE that's all you need. It's stand alone.

• Locked thread