Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

blk posted:

Wife thinks they're ugly :-/

E: Maybe I could convince her otherwise if I could find a toned down grille replacement. Too much chrome on the 3.6.

Get the V wagon, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The -V guys like to go with blacked out grilles:

I think those should 100% bolt in as well for the 3.6? This may not be true, it looks like the grille opening is a different shape on the non-Vs, but nevertheless there's still aftermarket grille options.

Also see: Plastidip!

This was my E55 with "anthracite metallic" Plastidip, it works surprisingly well.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 10, 2015

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

blk posted:

Wife thinks they're ugly :-/

E: Maybe I could convince her otherwise if I could find a toned down grille replacement. Too much chrome on the 3.6.

Furthering this line of questioning, are the other out selections also due to looks? Seems strange to be okay with an outback but not a regular legacy wagon. Also Volvo and Saab are otherwise good options.

Given your list though I'd personally go with the Outback.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

Get the V wagon, problem solved

Allow me to arm you with the necessary information that clearly will sway your wife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfxIwfxakI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw5sJ_o0z7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_w0gn04aTw

Also, 3 car seats across:

Tremek fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 9, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Furthering this line of questioning, are the other out selections also due to looks? Seems strange to be okay with an outback but not a regular legacy wagon. Also Volvo and Saab are otherwise good options.

Given your list though I'd personally go with the Outback.

Wife is very adverse to her car having unexpected maintenance or repair downtime; I don't think Volvo, Saab, VW or some of the other options I mentioned are good options for that.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

blk posted:

Wife is very adverse to her car having unexpected maintenance or repair downtime; I don't think Volvo, Saab, VW or some of the other options I mentioned are good options for that.

Prepare to have your mind totally blown:

2014 is an overlap year between the 2nd gen -V cars (reliable) and the far more prevalent 3rd gen CTS (sedan only in 3rd gen) in base and V-Sport trim, which have had a few more teething issues.

Bottom line consensus, far beyond just TrueDelta, is the 2nd gen CTS is actually quite reliable. Not quite sure how GM managed that but they're holding up remarkably well. I think the v6 wagons run 2010 through 2014.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 10, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tremek posted:

Naw I know the Caddy's reliable; I wasn't including it in that list of potential troublemakers.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tremek posted:

2014 is an overlap year between the 2nd gen -V cars (reliable) and the far more prevalent 3rd gen CTS (sedan only in 3rd gen) in base and V-Sport trim, which have had a few more teething issues.

Bottom line consensus, far beyond just TrueDelta, is the 2nd gen CTS is actually quite reliable. Not quite sure how GM managed that but they're holding up remarkably well. I think the v6 wagons run 2010 through 2014.

GM has usually made reliable powertrains, it's just that every other part falls apart first so it feels like a piece of poo poo but never actually dies. The Lutz-era Cadillacs benefit from having executive backing which reduced the retarded beancounter nickel-and-diming on interior parts that ruins your typical GM.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What about stretched timing chains (or was that a uniquely Holden problem with those engines)?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Tremek posted:

Why is the CTS wagon out? They're cheap and fit the criteria?

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/648220436/overview/

You can find higher mileage examples (but still under 100k) for low teens now with the 304hp V6 and AWD. Incidentally, they appear to be highly reliable too, which can't be said for either those Subarus or BMWs.

The real problem with those motors are they never get the oil changed regularly and one day you hear nothing but chain slap on start up and it's all downhill from there

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

dissss posted:

What about stretched timing chains (or was that a uniquely Holden problem with those engines)?

Wasn't that the earlier non-DI ones?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

GM has usually made reliable powertrains, it's just that every other part falls apart first so it feels like a piece of poo poo but never actually dies. The Lutz-era Cadillacs benefit from having executive backing which reduced the retarded beancounter nickel-and-diming on interior parts that ruins your typical GM.

Fair. My -V is still very solid. No weird rattles at 51k miles, at least 22 of those that I can account for as not easy-driven miles either. My G8 was much the same way. They're getting SOME things right now. The new Alpha platform in the ATS and the Camaro is apparently very impressive. Nice to see good things happening over there.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Left Ventricle posted:

Wasn't that the earlier non-DI ones?

GM's HF 3.6 DI or SFI from like 2007-2009 did have timing chain problems no matter what vehicle it was put in, GM did extended the warranty on that particular issue.

My 10 CTS4 Performance Sportwagon has been pretty good. The only problems I've had are a failed alternator, leaking water pump, rr wheel bearing and a bad motor mount that were all replaced under CPO warranty. It drives great and despite having a liter less displacement and weighing 350 lbs more then my former DTS and it is faster and handles like an exacto knife rather then a barge (my DTS had Magneride and it still floated comically). MPG on AWD isn't great but I can touch 24-25 MPG if I'm not driving like a mad man.

My complaints are sometimes because of the shift mapping the car feels very lackadaisical during mid range acceleration. And I dislike the fact that Cadillac after the 09 MY they deleted the option of having the G80 limited slip on the rear axle if equipped with AWD (if you got the FE3 RWD you got the G80). Sometimes the car likes wag its tail on the rear drive wheel way to much when traction is limited. The Borg Warner AWD system power split is 25/75 with the capability of transferring 100% of the power to the front axle.

I've gotten a 1st gen CTS loaner a few times and man when I brought my 2nd gen in for service the first time and they gave me a 1st gen and the interior of the 2nd gen is loving light years ahead of the 1st. If I didn't know anything about cars I wouldn't believe that the same company made both.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 11, 2015

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
If I had $22,900 burning a hole in my pocket this Dodge Dart Wagon would be in my driveway loving yesterday!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tremek posted:

Is True Delta worth signing up? Like are there enough members to make a difference? I wonder about sites like it because it seems like there's not enough real data on niche cars or cars that just aren't very popular with the masses so it looks like results could be skewed. Like on the website Carcomplaints.com if a car is showing almost no issues it says "well either this car is awesome or it's not very popular" so how the hell is that helping me?

Stemmler
May 17, 2004

After 3 +years of sitting in the driveway I got my 94 Caprice wagon back on the road this year. Replaced the started changed fluids and cleaned her up.

It's not too different from other Caprice wagons from the outside but if you look inside.

When my 4l60e blew up I swapped in a T56.

It's fun driving a wagon again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

leica posted:

Is True Delta worth signing up? Like are there enough members to make a difference? I wonder about sites like it because it seems like there's not enough real data on niche cars or cars that just aren't very popular with the masses so it looks like results could be skewed. Like on the website Carcomplaints.com if a car is showing almost no issues it says "well either this car is awesome or it's not very popular" so how the hell is that helping me?

I have a slightly niche car (Focus ST) and have signed up solely to help future flat-brimmed hat wearing budget bros.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been using Long-Term Quality Index lately, and the CTS does not fair well at all with a "well below average" rating.

Gave up on wagons and have been looking at The Lexus LS and GS :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Stemmler posted:

After 3 +years of sitting in the driveway I got my 94 Caprice wagon back on the road this year. Replaced the started changed fluids and cleaned her up.

It's not too different from other Caprice wagons from the outside but if you look inside.

Oh man yes. How much custom work did it take? I looked into what it would take for a Roadmaster years ago but it seemed like a bunch of fab.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Stemmler posted:

Soft 8s?! :whatup:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Stemmler posted:

This is pretty cool. How similar is it to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFWD5w6pXA

Stemmler
May 17, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh man yes. How much custom work did it take? I looked into what it would take for a Roadmaster years ago but it seemed like a bunch of fab.

A company made a bracket kit to mount everything and another one sold a t56 cross member that fits the B bodies. Overall not a lot of custom work just cutting a few holes and a little hammering on the cat to fit the transmission. Also needed to swap out the seats, the bench isn't very comfortable with the stick.

Those are soft 8's. They were supposed to be a cheap temporary wheel but I like the look and they are staying for now. Just blacking out the center caps.

The Caprices and Roadmasters are both B Bodies and shared the same drivetrain. As far as I know all the differences were cosmetic on the outside and interior. The wagons are pretty much the same as the sedans up to the rear seats.

What's better than 1 t56 wagon? How about 2.

Stemmler fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 7, 2016

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

leica posted:

I've been using Long-Term Quality Index lately, and the CTS does not fair well at all with a "well below average" rating.

Gave up on wagons and have been looking at The Lexus LS and GS :v:

My CTS wagon is... Fine. New squeak in the roof somewhere, and the rear diff noise needs attention again. Terrible mileage, and seems like the tires don't last. But I'd say it's "average" at least.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Stemmler posted:

Everything about this rules, and so do you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, I would want to keep the bench. I wonder how hard it would be to build an offset shifter and do it C10 style.

Awesome wagon still, thanks for the info.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
wagon doing wagon things

don't know if it'll be too happy about picking up a bunch of 2x4, 4x4x8s, and 2x6x12s for the playground i'm building though

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I should have taken pictures, I just drove my wagon 1300 miles loaded pretty much to the bump stops with car parts. It was very AI.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Stemmler posted:

Yesss; I remember your car, but I didn't remember your username. What is the next step with the car?

Stemmler
May 17, 2004

Raluek posted:

Yesss; I remember your car, but I didn't remember your username. What is the next step with the car?

I made a thread like 4 or 5 years ago when I did the swap.

Next is some maintenance, brakes, lifters, tires, new valve covers. Then some interior work, center console/arm rests, better cover for shifter, headliner and maybe dye the dash a darker gray. And maybe give the underside a derusting/coating. And put it the small stash of parts and improved wiring harnesses I have.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
The sportwagen was a beast in the snow this year with passat wheels and snow tires.

It will be a bittersweet day when I sell her back to VW.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -