Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, off lease v60's have depreciated quite a bit. You can get a 2015 with 35k miles for under 20k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Negromancer posted:

What years of CTS wagons are best? There are a few on CL in my area right now, including 2 v-specs. I don't know if I could live with myself if I bought a CTS wagon that wasn't a v-spec tho. Not sure if I can convince my wife thats a good idea...

There's only one generation of CTS wagon, which should be 2010 as the first year for the regular CTS, 2011 first year for the V, and then the last year is 2014 for all wagons.

I, uh, like my V-wagon, and heartily endorse it. I think I would be bored by a 3.6 though, so while YMMV the answer is always more HP.

PS, I can fit 3 kids' car seats across in the back so my wife is just fine with it, and yours should be too.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Mange Mite posted:

Volvo is still around. Also Subaru.

I love old volvo's, not sure about the new ones so I might have to check them out. We had a outback before the JSW but neither of us really liked how it drove. Also I live in Seattle so there is an insane markup on outbacks, and they have gotten bigger than I would like.

GEMorris posted:

Yeah, off lease v60's have depreciated quite a bit. You can get a 2015 with 35k miles for under 20k

Like I said, I have not kept up with the new volvo's, are there any big known issues with them? My wifes first car was a 240 wagon, so she could be easily convinced to buy a volvo. Didn't they make a polestar wagon?

Tremek posted:

There's only one generation of CTS wagon, which should be 2010 as the first year for the regular CTS, 2011 first year for the V, and then the last year is 2014 for all wagons.

I, uh, like my V-wagon, and heartily endorse it. I think I would be bored by a 3.6 though, so while YMMV the answer is always more HP.

PS, I can fit 3 kids' car seats across in the back so my wife is just fine with it, and yours should be too.

Ok, thats what I figured, I knew the wagons were short lived. Having just bought our first house(that was a bit above our initial budget) and just got married, I don't think I can swing a V-spec just because of the price tag. The big downside is the wagon MUST be a automatic, so I don't know how I would feel about a auto v-spec. Tho there is one for sale locally that I might have to go test drive for fun if nothing else. I have already put the cap at 2 kids, but having that much room in the back is a good thing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Negromancer posted:

Like I said, I have not kept up with the new volvo's, are there any big known issues with them? My wifes first car was a 240 wagon, so she could be easily convinced to buy a volvo. Didn't they make a polestar wagon?

No idea about known issues, but the top trim level for the V60 is the Polestar version with 345 horsepower.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

My -V is an auto. It's fine, only spergs freak out about manuals these days.

V versus a Volvo Polestar (which is virtually unobtanium): $40k for a V wagon is very possible, and it's 556hp stock, and is probably still under some form of warranty. A Polestar is what, $60k+, and down 200hp? I know what I would drive.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tremek posted:

V versus a Volvo Polestar (which is virtually unobtanium): $40k for a V wagon is very possible, and it's 556hp stock, and is probably still under some form of warranty. A Polestar is what, $60k+, and down 200hp? I know what I would drive.

Budget comedy option: buy a Legacy GT wagon and some modzzz. Or for new cars buy a Forester XT and lower it

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 4, 2016

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Tremek posted:

For some reason I thought you had a manual. I agree, modern autos are really nice compared to what they used to be. I assume the auto is worth while in the V?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Not sure if it's really a wagon but what the prevailing opinion of the mini clubman? They come in manual and look like semi decent storage. They have maintenance issues?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mini almost always ranks near the bottom in reliability surveys.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Negromancer posted:

For some reason I thought you had a manual. I agree, modern autos are really nice compared to what they used to be. I assume the auto is worth while in the V?

It's Good Enough. Would a manual be more fun in some situations? Yes. I had a manual G8 GXP and a MS3 before the V, and occasionally I miss shifting for myself but the convenience of my wife not being intimidated by a 650hp car whenever we need to switch is just fine by me.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Tremek posted:

How will we brag to people?

I'm looking forward to driving auto. No more lovely commute

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Tremek posted:

It's Good Enough. Would a manual be more fun in some situations? Yes. I had a manual G8 GXP and a MS3 before the V, and occasionally I miss shifting for myself but the convenience of my wife not being intimidated by a 650hp car whenever we need to switch is just fine by me.

Well I guess I need to go look at this now.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

I Am Not Spor posted:

I'm looking forward to driving auto. No more lovely commute

Yeah, I have 5 minute commute on a quiet road. If I had to drive a stick in stop and go everyday :suicide:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Negromancer posted:

I have a 2015 V60, and love it. Literally my only issue is the mileage kind of sucking, but I have a stop-start commute and my previous car was a Mini, so of course it looks lousy in comparison.

Kind of irritated (offended?) at the level of depreciation but I'm not selling any time soon.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Negromancer posted:

Well I guess I need to go look at this now.

Drive it, but they want way too much for it. You can find a wagon in the 40s. Don't be afraid to fly & drive.

Edit: Didn't see that it only has 13k miles, but my statement still stands. 2 years ago I bought my '12 for low-mid-40s with 29k on it.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 5, 2016

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Albino Squirrel posted:

I have a 2015 V60, and love it. Literally my only issue is the mileage kind of sucking, but I have a stop-start commute and my previous car was a Mini, so of course it looks lousy in comparison.

Kind of irritated (offended?) at the level of depreciation but I'm not selling any time soon.

Yea, mileage is gonna hurt no matter what I get. With my emissions cheating TDI I get at least ~32mpg driving around town in Seattle traffic, with the DSG transmission and not driving it nicely. I might have to check one out, but like every wagon that isn't an outback, they seem pretty rare in this area.

Tremek posted:

Drive it, but they want way too much for it. You can find a wagon in the 40s. Don't be afraid to fly & drive.

Edit: Didn't see that it only has 13k miles, but my statement still stands. 2 years ago I bought my '12 for low-mid-40s with 29k on it.

Yea, I would only go test drive that to get a feel for the car. I really dislike red cars, on top of the fact it seemed really over priced. Hell, for me fly & drive is more of the ideal solution since its a good excuse for a road trip. I fly down to SF every other month at least for work, so if I can find one down there the flight down is even paid for!

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
An older pic, as it now has plates, but the owner of this beautiful thing works across the street from my apartment. I see it almost daily and would do terrible things to drive this.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Last year when I was employed and thought maybe I could swing the payments I seriously considered selling all 3 of my cars to get one of those, they are a Volvo diehard's dream. Glad I didn't though or I'd be screwed way harder than I am now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My neighbor has a V60 polestar. In white.
Seriously, so close to perfection and you drop the ball like that? I think volvo only makes those in not swedish racing green to show people how perfect that color is.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
This seems like such a bad idea, but such a GOOD idea.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
It's the worst VW ever made because it's expensive to run (requires 91 octane), nearly impossible to fix (remove bumper to change front headlights, 90% of the parts are NLA), but it is an absolute blast to drive. It's so awesome :smith:

Don't ever buy one.

edit: And don't listen to one with straight pipes.

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 20, 2016

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

Good idea.

I owned a 2004 V6 Passat Wagon and I can assure you that nothing ever goes wrong with those. Electrical masterpieces.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I Am Not Spor posted:

Good idea.

I owned a 2004 V6 Passat Wagon and I can assure you that nothing ever goes wrong with those. Electrical masterpieces.

How often do you drain the taillights?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Guess which procedure starts with "remove engine"?
all of them. Including o2 sensors
You havr to remove the headlights to change the low beams, which may require service position. (They have a little cap in the back, but with the special NLA W8 hids, the cap is blocked by the frame. Vw folks.)
They also take a huge amount of very special oil. Like 993 oil change prices
They sound amazing, the 6-speed is from the S4, as are the brakes, and the suspension is IIRC a weird hybrid of a4 and a6. They also have a really nice torque curve. You can toodle along at 10mph in 6th and also alledgely do 180.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 20, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

nm posted:

Guess which procedure starts with "remove engine"?
all of them. Including o2 sensors
You havr to remove the headlights to change the low beams, which may require service position. (They have a little cap in the back, but with the special NLA W8 hids, the cap is blocked by the frame. Vw folks.)
They also take a huge amount of very special oil. Like 993 oil change prices.
If your alternator dies, you'll have to do a coolant flush (it's water-cooled) and since you need to remove the remote oil pump to get to the alternator, you'll have to replace all ~8 quarts of 0w30 in addition to the coolant which is like $30/gallon.

Oh, and if your thermostat goes, you'll have to disassemble the intake system down to the block to replace it. And you'll have to spend $400 on the thermostat. If you can find one for sale.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

How often do you drain the taillights?

That's actually where the excess transmission fluid is stored as you will often need to garage it and filter new fluid in due to the constant and ever present clunking between 2nd and 1st. Which, understandably, doesn't show up when you run a scan.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

scuz posted:

If your alternator dies, you'll have to do a coolant flush (it's water-cooled) and since you need to remove the remote oil pump to get to the alternator, you'll have to replace all ~8 quarts of 0w30 in addition to the coolant which is like $30/gallon.

Oh, and if your thermostat goes, you'll have to disassemble the intake system down to the block to replace it. And you'll have to spend $400 on the thermostat. If you can find one for sale.

In like 2008 or something, a dealership dropped a bolt down a W8 intake manifold while doing spark lugs destroying the motor. VW quoted them like $25k for a new shortblock (before labor) because it had to be made one off. In 2008, 3 years after it was discontinued. Good luck getting one now.
The dealership gave the guy a new v6 08 Passat instead IIRC.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Why not just get an S4?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Wow, there is something awe-inspiring about how such a nightmare of a car could ever make it into production.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Bought this 2006 V50 T5 AWD last Monday, and I'm loving it so far. Between the 6-speed manual and the Focus DNA in the chassis, it's a lot of fun to drive. It needs some maintenance work (engine mounts, timing belt, brake rotors) but I only paid $5600 for it so it's not a big deal.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've love those little t5's. They can be had pretty cheap in the UK, I've been tempted a few times to replace my 320d with one.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Well I went and did this.

And then I did this to it.

Turns out I missed having a wagon (again).

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Your car is awesome and I am jealous.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Wow, there is something awe-inspiring about how such a nightmare of a car could ever make it into production.

In 2007 for the 2008 model year I seriously cross shopped the W8 wagon against the 535XiT.

So glad I got the E61. Best news is that the dealer replaced the tailgate lift juuuust before the extended warranty ran out. There is an entire dedicated hydraulic system for the hatch. Oh, and turbos and injectors were done at the same time. Because you know they are connected and it was a $50 deductible on the warranty. I would have done the nav system but it was done a few months prior to that. Out of warranty I pray nothing breaks and I have an excellent local BMW mechanic.

The W8 is still all kinds of awesome. Think of it this way: the W16 in the Veyron and Chiron is just two W8s joined at the crank.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

They'd never sell it in NA anyway but I hope Ford makes a wagon version of the Fusion Sport and it sells like mad in Europe/Australia.

A Fusion Sport wagon or Holden Commodore V8 wagon would be my perfect do-everything cars. :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wish Lexus would have made an LS wagon, we have a 430 now and I love it but it would be perfect as a wagon.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Speaking of big Euro wagons, both the Mercedes E400 and Volvo V90 wagons are hitting the US in early 2017. With 329hp/354ft-lb in the E-class, plus a ~100kg diet, the US non-AMG wagon may actually be quick this time around. Same for the Volvo as it's 316hp/295ft-lb or 400/472 hybrid and rumors of a Polestar tune already. Sadly Mercedes is already downplaying talk of the E43 AMG wagon in the States, but an E63 has been all but confirmed.

Interestingly, the W213/S213 E-class and Volvo S90/V90/XC90 appear to have an identical wheelbase this time around as well.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

I finally got around to washing the wagon a full week after picking it up from the dealership. A friend joined me with his '07 Eclipse tonight. I need to go over the headlights again and rewax it, but I'm going to keep polishing this turd until the outside is as clean as the inside. :toot:

Crosspost from the post your ride thread. Its an '04 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon with 114k miles on it. Fairly clean exterior, but an almost perfect interior. The only issue I've found is the radio doesn't work which has opened a whole can of worms, since I've been able to confirm its a bose head unit and front door speakers, but the amp and sub aren't in their proper locations. :iiam:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

^ I always liked the 6 wagon though I think it's weird they only came in V6s. Congrats on the purchase. :)

Blacked out and cleaned up my wagon a bit. Plastidipped the mirrors, wheels, and grill. Then clayed and sealed the paint, polished the headlights and sealed them up with polyurethane/mineral spirits mix. There's a big thread about using it on autogeek, thought I'd try it and should prevent them yellowing. Also cleaned out the interior and took enough enough dog hair from the previous owner that would make up a small dog. :barf: It smells a little better inside but I might still pick up an ozone generator.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Ozium spray works surprisingly well as a cheap alternative, just be careful not to spray it directly on the interior (fabric/plastic/leather etc). Spray it into the air, leave the car sealed up overnight and it should take care of most of the smell. If it's coming from the ventilation ducts you may want to leave the blower running on recirculate for a bit as well.

• Locked thread