Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well then.

I did find this, from 3.5 years ago when I bought it, taken with one of the worst cameraphones ever:

Taken right about here. Fun road.

Ah, the top of TTF before it turns into dirt. :v: I hope you've made your way to the White Spars, South Mountain, and Mingus Mountain. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

stump posted:

Worked over 335d? Did you get them as a touring in the states?

Edit: Auto only I think, drat.

Nope. And yeah, auto only, unfortunately. I've got a 2011 335D MSport, highway mileage is insane for something as quick as it is.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can do it with a diesel.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cream_Filling posted:

Not a lot of 400 hp diesels that aren't giant trucks. Even BMW's new M550d, which has almost that much output at 376 hp, barely squeaks in at 30 mph highway when the euro mileage is best guess converted to a US equivalent.

The 335D with a JBD Tuner set to 100% makes around 310whp/500ftlb; consider like 15% drivetrain loss (who knows, ballpark?) - 362hp. People have reported returning same mileage as stock while highway cruising, and I've personally seen as high as 37mpg across a tank doing 80ish mph.

I'm not sure where you saw that the M550d barely gets 30mpg highway when official figures are

quote:

average fuel consumption: 6.3 litres/100 kilometres (44.8 mpg imp),
which comes out to 37mpg. It also dynos 350awhp... which firmly places it over 400hp at the crank.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 6, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nm posted:

I saw an E63 AMG wagon today at the supermarket. I suspect other people were wondering why I was staring at a wagon.
The owner appeared to be a man of wealth and taste.

How many of those have they sold in the US anyhow? I suspect they're rarer than many Ferraris or Lamborghinis.

Production numbers:
E 55 AMG Wagon

2005 129
2006 64

E63 AMG Wagon

2007 67
2008 62
2009 24

Who knows if that includes all markets though... definitely rare as rocking horse poo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Humbug posted:

Like the S73 T AMG? A S-class wagon with the 7.3l v12 that older paganis use.

Holy poo poo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Beautiful.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I want a wagon for 4-5k. I've been looking at A4 Avants with the 1.8t/manual/quattro or the v6 (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3817832587.html)... is this what I want or should I look at a Forester or Outback?

Usage is a DD and sometimes pulling a small HF trailer with my Triumph 675 to a track within the surrounding 800mi. I don't really like how the Volvos look and the E39 BMWs get total poo poo gas mileage (I had one).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DropShadow posted:

Skip the 2.8l engine, it's a turd. I wouldn't buy a B5 that wasn't a 1.8T A4 or a 2.7T S4, but I wouldn't use either of those motors to tow either. I'd look at the Subarus you mentioned instead.

The towing isn't really an issue - it's a 375lb bike on a 250lb trailer. I figured the v6 would be slow :(

Mighty Horse posted:

Forester and Outback don't exactly get great MPG either.

Wow...whats with the used car market in AZ?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3824021770.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3795665352.html

Both Awesome cars, but at like half that price.

Hahaha, I saw those. I'm not looking for something like that - mid 90's and newer. I figured the Forester/Outback would be mid 20's? Is that wrong?
edit:http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/forester
Ouch, allllmost as bad as my BMW was - 19mpg.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 23, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is the Outback a lighter duty car than the Forester then? I've never really looked into Subarus much - was always a BMW/Nissan/Toyota guy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nm posted:

The 30V 2.8 is boring, but certainly the most reliable motor of the three. Yes, it leaks oil (just like the 2.7, which is virtually the same motor with turbos attached) and eats cats (note that the only cat I know of that passes CARB is the OEM and they are shockingly expensive). The long 1.8T is a massive piece of poo poo. Even if it hasn't sludged up by now, it will have a host of issues. The 2.7TT is a cool motor, but not exactly a reliable motor (beyond the internals, which is just a 2.8 anyhow) esp if you keep the K03s.

If you care about reliability at all though, you'll skip B5 (A4 and Passat) entirely if just for the front end. Also, if you're buying an automatic, anyone without fairly regular fluid changes (counter the the "lifetime" rec) is few miles away from losing key gears like reverse.

Oh jesus christ, now you have met looking at mods.

quote:

You are looking at European spec cams only. The US spec cams are totally different. Truths: 1) All VW/Audi 30v V6 Euro gas engines (2.4, 2.7T, 2. use the same intake cams, which are native to Euro emissions. There is no such thing as "RS4 cams" in terms of exclusivity. They are merely Euro spec intake cams designed for Euro emissions testing. They have more lift than US spec units. 2) All VW/Audi 30v V6 gas engines world wide use the same exhaust cams. 3) The US spec 2.8 intake cams are not the same as Euro spec intake cams. 4) The US spec 2.8 intake cams are not the same as the US spec 2.7T intake cams. 5) Bonus: all the 30v heads use the same valves, there are no "special" valves for the RS4 heads. The exhaust valves are all sodium filled. I don't know who the heck dreamed that RS4 valve story up, but it's BS. 6) Bonus #2: all the valves in the 30v heads are really 1.8T valves.(quote)

It's hard to find a cool, cheap wagon that's not a Volvo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hard to compare cars like that at a trackday - you could be balls-out and the car you're barely keeping up with is working on lines or something.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ExecuDork posted:

I think the Allroad looks pretty good.

I'm pondering my next car and the Mazda Protege 5 is pretty appealing. A friend tells me they're good fun and reliable, and junkyards contain enough of them for lots of parts to be cheap and readily available.

I'm also trying to buy a Protege5 for around $3500... poo poo is hard to find.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

How do you really wash a car/anything with plastidip? The surface isn't really smooth and I feel like it would be impossible to clean very well without peeling it off.

I plastidipped the wheels on my Daytona 675 white... spray simple green on them and hose 'em off, completely clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
E34 lights are similar to E30s, and are far cheaper. May look into that if you're on a budget.

• Locked thread