Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

priznat posted:

Pretty Un-cool wagon, but has anyone tried out the new (2014) Kia Rondo? Looking at options to replace my wife's 10 year old Pathfinder and want to move away from SUVs with crap gas mileage.

The Rondo and the Mazda5 are currently what I'm considering, haven't checked out either at dealerships yet. Needs a good amount of room for 1+ kids and a couple dogs, those looked like good options. I think she already nixed the Ford Flex for being weird looking.

Is a VW Jetta wagon within the budget? They're pretty handy things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Especially the ST:

Oooh, that looks fun.

GramCracker posted:

The Legacy GT Spec-B wagon is just :awesome:

That too.

Why can't American car buyers have nice things? :(

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Oh right, this belongs here too. Got tint on my wagon Tuesday. I've been meaning to do it for 4 years, the timing finally worked out. 35% on the fronts, 20% from the B pillar back.

Those wheels look familiar, but I can't remember where from. Are they the factory fit or did you change them out?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

Has anybody here owned a late-model V70R? I've heard they have their own special "M-tax" on them, but gat dayum if they aren't the hotness.

My father had a 2005 for a while, is that late enough? I only drove it a few times though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

Is it the 300hp twin turbo version? I honestly don't know!

Single turbo, but yes. He put ~114,000 miles on it, as I recall. Tons of space, plenty of power, fairly classy interior, and you'd never mistake it for an SUV behind the wheel because you sit quite low. But the transmission juddered a bit for the entire life of the car (this was the automatic,) the turning radius was crazy wide, the low front spoiler caught on everything, and it drank gasoline like a fish. Plus when it got up in mileage it started getting expensive to fix, but in fairness we had driven it pretty hard by then.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Negromancer posted:

Thanks for the pointers. Strangely enough, despite seattle being the home of 80's and 90's Volvo wagons, there are not very many new ones around. They few that are seem to be the XC models, which I am not sure about. I will have to try and track down some to go check out.

The "regular" V70 actually got killed one or two years ago in the US market, at least recently the XC series were the only wagons Volvo sold. I guess that might not still be true but I think it was the case in, say, model year 2012.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Negromancer posted:

I posted before that I am looking for a new wagon, and didn't even consider a jetta TDI sportwagen until I found out their price. I have always said I would not own a VAG car that does not have a warranty, but these are cheap enough I would consider buying one new. I know a couple people have posted them in here and I was wondering how you guys like them? They are fwd, and I was kinda leaning more towards a AWD car, but being in seattle it doesn't really matter. How reliable are they? Any big issues that I should know about before considering one?

My dad drives one now. I'm aware of no issues so far with regard to reliability, but it's not that old a car. It's extremely sensible, possibly the most sensible car currently on sale in the US. Lots of room for luggage, amazing unrefueled range, still manageable in tight spaces, not even that much noisier than the gasoline 2.0 turbo it shares a driveway with.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Somewhere near where I live somebody owns an E63 wagon from a couple of years ago. Mostly I've only caught it in glimpses once in a while. It's basically my unicorn.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I looked at the lineup of deals offered at my local VW dealer and every Jetta Sportwagen they had was an automatic. Or at least, all of the ones they listed there, but I didn't see any stick shifts peering in windows on the lot either.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

:stare: Ye gods.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I drove a new 328d 4WD wagon between Orange County and Berkeley, CA a couple months ago. It's got a roomy back seat, decent trunk space, and a huge pile of gadgets (heads-up display, onboard hard drive for your music, navigation that tries to keep you out of traffic, and so on.) I didn't like the feel of most of the plastic trim in the interior, and ECO Pro mode makes the brake-regen system really aggressive - the car feels like it's going to park itself whenever you take your foot off the gas. Luckily you can put it in Sport or Comfort instead.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

What a pain in the rear end. How's a Cadillac CTS on repair bills?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

priznat posted:

I find the GT style completely baffling. It doesn't seem functional like a wagon or proper hatch, and doesn't have the trunk either. I just don't get it. But then I think BMW lost its way when they brought in the x5 (which shows I would be terrible at business because it has been a massive success).

The current 3 series seems priced really high for even the base option level, also.

The X5 was a while ago. The GT and all that stuff is newer, and it's all about chasing volume I guess, but it still weirds me out and I don't want one.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I want an E39 5-series wagon and I'm not entirely sure why.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Solar Coaster, your dog is handsome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Negromancer posted:

Like I said, I have not kept up with the new volvo's, are there any big known issues with them? My wifes first car was a 240 wagon, so she could be easily convinced to buy a volvo. Didn't they make a polestar wagon?

No idea about known issues, but the top trim level for the V60 is the Polestar version with 345 horsepower.

• Locked thread