Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Just acquired this '98 V70XC.

It needs a little TLC, but it drives well and everything works. I'm really pleased with it, so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

Wait what the gently caress? How the hell do you make a rear-engined wagon? :psyduck:

Same way VW did it with the T3/T4-you make the engine flat so that it fits under the floor. :v:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
That's gorgeous.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I'd avoid that car. The headlights and front bumper are from an S60, so it's probably been in an accident. Hard to say whether it was a salvage car that they decided to flip on the cheap or an oversight on the part of whoever repaired it, but either way it would make me worry about how the rest of the car was kept up.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
You could get the '98-'00 T5 model with a manual transmission from the factory, but very few were made. All of the R models from that generation were automatic. :sigh:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I finally got a decent pic of my V70R:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I haven't driven either of them but the XC70 is built on the S80 chassis so it's definitely going to have more room than the V60.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
With that many kms I'd skip the Volvo unless the owner has a folder full of maintenance records and the 300K service included the replacement of the timing belt. Volvos of that era are really expensive to fix once they've accumulated some deferred maintenance and while they can tolerate it for a while it's cheaper in the long run to buy one that doesn't need a ton of work up front.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Don't forget the 2000 V70Rs with the 5-speed shardbox.

Mine has 200K on the original transmission and it still shifts great :c00lbert:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

Yeah I dunno...I know on the 98's the replacement interval was 70k for the belt so I figure it's probably the same since it's the same engine. So either it was done 25k late or really really early. Either way, I bought a really nice Kevlar belt, OEM water pump, and a brand new coolant flush so it should be good for a long time. The mechanic showed me the old belt and he said it was still in good condition so it might have been replaced at one point but it's better knowing rather than taking a chance.

The interval on the '99+ (five-cylinder) Volvos is 10 years/105K. I know they changed the tensioner from a hydraulic one to a mechanical one around that time but I'm not sure what else contributes to the longer interval. Nothing wrong with being conservative about it, in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Bought this 2006 V50 T5 AWD last Monday, and I'm loving it so far. Between the 6-speed manual and the Focus DNA in the chassis, it's a lot of fun to drive. It needs some maintenance work (engine mounts, timing belt, brake rotors) but I only paid $5600 for it so it's not a big deal.

• Locked thread