Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I drive a sedan right now and like it a lot. But I have already decided which awesome wagon I'm going to replace it with, eventually:

Preferably the GT version, which comes with double wishbone front suspension (instead of Macphersons) and a torque-tastic 2.2L turbodiesel. 450Nm and 5.7L/100KM doesn't sound half bad to me.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

~SPORTS WAGON~

I can dig it. Shame about the engine, though.

Now I want one, to throw a full STI drivetrain underneath it and not change a single thing cosmetically.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 14, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Znyp posted:

My old merc, loved that car - but it was starting to be a pretty high maintance so off it went..

It's a shame that the W210 had the rust and reliability problems it did. I know taxi operators here loved them because they were so ridiculously spacious. Even the sedan had an enormous trunk.

And well... It wasn't really a looker, especially compared to the later E-classes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WESTW0OD posted:

One of the best-looking wagons out there! Desperately rare...

If you want a 156, go for the pre-facelift version. The Twinspark engine may be slightly down on power compared to the later direct-injection JTS engine, but it also doesn't have crippling lubrication faults and it's a proper Alfa engine, not a worked-over Fiat unit. Common for both engines is that they burn oil by design, you literally have to check the oil on every other fillup, no joke. They've got under-piston oil sprayers and all kind of fancy stuff for added cooling, which really gets going under high revs.

The Twinspark takes ordinary 10w40 as far as I can remember, which isn't too bad. The JTS needs 10w60, which gets hella expensive hella fast.

Rust is also a big issue, especially due to water accumulation under the carpets. It can go completely unnoticed for years until you peel them back and discover the rot. A 156 is a very beautiful car and by all accounts amazing to drive, but it will be an expensive high-maintenance relationship, the facelifted version even more so.

This is all straight from an Alfista acquaintance of mine, he's had 3 of them so far and he's got an old Giulia Sprint 1300 that he's restored himself, so his credentials should be in order. He also says that the 159 is not a "proper Alfa" because it's on a GM platform with Opel/GM engines and way too reliable.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 15, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The S pack also adds a locking rear diff.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's got a D pillar, so it's a wagon :colbert:

(Yes Cornelious, that means my Panda was a wagon, too. No, this is not up for debate)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm getting heavy Mazda 6 vibes from it, as well as some general vague sort of European wagon vibes as well, which is not a bad thing at all.

I like it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 31, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Looks pretty good to me, a W124 is a solid ride. It's a 300TE, right? That 3.0 6-cylinder will do plenty more miles, provided it's had regular oil changes and normal maintenance.

Make sure the 4matic system works properly, it's a complicated system and the center diff is the expensive weak point.

How is it rust-wise?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 27, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My parents wanted to get rid of their 2001 Citroën C5 hatchback, so they went out and found a new used car. A 2006 Citroën C5 wagon. It's got leather seats and a couple more features than the old one. Interestingly, despite being a facelifted version of the same car as the old one, the suspension is even more pillow-soft and the power steering is lighter. Perfect for a comfy French sofa on wheels. Engine is only a 135hp 2.0, but honestly, who buys a Citroën to go fast, anyway?

It's absolutely ridiculously roomy, and it's even got a button in the trunk area to raise and lower the rear of the car, for easier loading and unloading. And it drives so well, nothing is sporty at all, everything is made and weighted for comfort.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is that the hydro-pneumatic version or does it have normal suspension?

I want a C5 wagon in the worst way.

It's hydro-pneumatic, it's the only way the first-gen C5 came. On the 2008-present second generation, you can choose normal suspension, but why would you do that on a big Citroën? :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

If you do this it's called a Peugeot 407 ;)

The current C5 is the only one with a choice of different suspensions and it shares its platform with the 508 :eng101:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

D-pillar and near-vertical rear door? Wagon.

Cakefool posted:

I'm going to go look at a Dacia Logan this week as a possible replacement for my wife's Peugeot. A lot of car for £7k new.

If you can live with the lack of fancy-pants features and the 'meh' styling, it's a whole lot of well-tested car for the money, being based on a previous-gen Renault and all. Considering their target markets, I would expect it to be more rugged as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Clearly it should have been a power reserve gauge :wotwot:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

savesthedayrocks posted:

Maybe I'm just wrong, but after a year of owning my tdi Sportwagen there is no way in hell I'd want to row through the gears on a diesel. Let the DSG do it's thing.

Congrats on the wagon!

I certainly don't mind decent automatics, even slushboxes if they're set up right.

But there's just something so satisfying about throwing the stick into the next gear, feeding in the clutch and gas and then feeling that surge as you get fully on the gas. I know it's slower, but it feels so good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A Volvo wagon with an LT5? :eyepop:

I like the way you think.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

organburner posted:

Opel seems to get a lot of hate for some reason, but we've had like 9-10 astras and rarely have we had any issues with them, we just keep flipping them.

Opels are perfectly fine cars, they're just very 'ordinary' and not special in any kind of way. They'll get you where you're going, but it'll be a forgettable drive.

quote:

Station wagons have ruined me, I can no longer imagine life driving sedans D:

Absolutely. I drive a sedan now, but in the future it's wagons and hatches (and maybe a minivan at some point :ssh:) for me, for sure.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Albino Squirrel posted:

Who the hell needs A/C when you have a) windows, and b) Canada outside said window?

Most people tend to forget that apart from blowing cool air, A/C is also a very good dehumidifier, which I've found to be absolute essential in the slushy winters we get around here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

8ender posted:

This but also people forget that condensation loves a dirty as gently caress windshield and never ever clean the inside of theirs. Five minutes with some windex and a microfibre tower and you shouldn't need the defroster except on really lovely days.

Yeah, they get shockingly dirty somehow. When I got my current car (used), the windshield wasn't that horrible (but still needed at cleaning). But the rear window was hella nasty :gonk:

I cleaned half of it, and the other half looked like it had tint on it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nice hot air intakes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The 159 could only be had with the boring GM-derived engines, you have to go back to the pre-facelift 156 to get a twinspark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I Am Not Spor posted:

Good idea.

I owned a 2004 V6 Passat Wagon and I can assure you that nothing ever goes wrong with those. Electrical masterpieces.

How often do you drain the taillights?

• Locked thread