Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Here's mine:

A beautiful 1982 Volvo 245. Currently in process in restoring this. RWD, and manual (M46). I'll eventually swap out the engine with a different Volvo one (B230ft), and turbo it. I'm, shooting for 250 - 300hp when I'll be done.

Can fit so much in this thing. I daily drive it now. Took the girl camping in it and could fit up to 3 mattresses in it. When camping, we took a twin mattress, blankets and pillows. We even could sit up with quite a lot of head room to spare.

Really, can't think of a better and more useful vehicle than a wagon.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Willfrey posted:

I'm going to go out and kick the tires on this thing tonight. Says 'low miles 110k-ish' but we will see.

Plus I'm not forking over the 2500 he wants.

79' Volvo 245DL

Make sure to check the condition of the biodegradable wiring harnesses.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Just recently did the flathood conversion on my 245. Love this wagon and will not get another car because of it.

Still need to fix the air suspension and the drivers seat belt.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Thanks alot! :)

Unfortunately, I'm planning on hanging onto these lights for the time being. I'm trying to track down a small flathood grill for a reasonable price and if I find one I'll put the quad squares in.

If you're in the area, you can check us out at turbobricks as well as CL and pick n pulls. I generally grab my parts from the Lynwood Pick N Pull and I generally see at least one or two 240s there rocking the quad squares.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

angryhampster posted:

Out of sheer curiosity, what kind of mileage do those old bricks get? high teens hiway?

Mine is an 82 so I'm rolling with the LH 1.0 harness and earliest form of Kjet. I'm getting about 18mpg on the highway on a good day. I have an LH 2.2 that I plan on putting in and updating the system so I can be more fuel efficient. In the city I'm getting about 12 - 14mpg.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Took some pictures, with my 10 year old DSLR, of the daily driver while on a trip to Port Townsend.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Cross posting from the post your own ride thread...

My trusty 245 threw a rod last Monday and the engine is toast. I will keep the car, and will wait out for a new engine and drop it in. In the meantime, I had to get something reliable and something built outside the Cold War.

Enter the 2006 Subaru Outback.

This is the most modern car I've ever owned. It has a clicker, power and heated seats, power mirrors. All things I'm not used to. I was able to find one in a 5 speed and I have to say, compared to my 82 Volvo, the clutch is radically different. Still getting used to the "safety" features of always having to have my clutch in to start the car and whatnot; and the clutch itself is different; but I like the car overall.

Came with custom wheels, a sway bar and an ipod connector. I'm not sure I'll keep the wheels, but who knows.

With my 245

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Took the girl and dog out to Kitsap Penninsula yesterday. This was taken at low tide in Seabeck.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Since I don't work Thursdays, I decided the Subie wasn't dirty enough so I grabbed the dog and off we went to the mountains for an adventure.

Our ultimate destination. Amazing how low the water level is. Where I'm standing is normally under feet of water.

Kazik, checking out his surroundings.

All packed up and ready to start heading back.

I really like the Subaru AWD, have to admit. I've had FWD and RWD cars, but this is my first AWD one and it's really been growing on me.

some of the view

There are some really tight switchbacks on this trail, really impressed on how well she does in the corners.

Back on pavement, it's even better. This thing really grips.

Mission success!

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

blk posted:

Hey wagon folks, what would you do? We want to get my wife a wagon so she can haul dog and babby and occasional long (up to 6') items with ease. I currently have a Saabaru but she doesn't like driving MT. We were looking at TSX wagons but want something with a little more guts and AWD.

Option 1: 3.0 Outback wagon with some suspension fuckery to improve handling

Option 2: E46 or E91 wagon and a cheap pickup when we need to move big stuff

E61 wagon is out, A6 avant is out, Legacy GT is out, CTS wagon is out, Volvo and Saab are out.

My Outback thats posted a few above yours is a manual. It's great, and the suspension was modified to be slightly higher than normal. I got great clearance and the manual really makes it fun when thrashing it in the mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
An older pic, as it now has plates, but the owner of this beautiful thing works across the street from my apartment. I see it almost daily and would do terrible things to drive this.

• Locked thread