Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

Here's a Corvair wagon I spotted near my work.
Wait what the gently caress? How the hell do you make a rear-engined wagon? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

bolind posted:

Honda Accord Tourer
Also known as the Acura TSX Sport Wagon. Which they actually sell in America. Right now. Go buy one.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

chrisgt posted:

It's awesome driving 80 miles home on the highway with :suicide:

Read that as driving 80 miles an hour :v:

You weren't, right?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Hey man, if wagons need their own goddamn thread, we'll take anything we can get. As long as it's got a window behind the C-pillar, a back end that's contiguous with the passenger compartment, and the rear window is steeper than less than a 45 degree angle from vertical, it's good. :v: Just as long as it isn't too much of an SUV - I could handle a Venza or current-gen Outback in this thread, or even a Forester, but not, say, a Ford Edge, or a Flex.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 16, 2012

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Sir Cornelius posted:

Have we discussed the original Morris Mini Clubman Estate yet?

By your definitions it's not a Station Wagon. I disagree.
I would consider that a shooting brake (a 3-door wagon) which is even better.

Four Banger posted:

How can you say the current Forester is a wagon, but not the Flex? I would also argue that the current gen Forester is an SUV at this point.

Wagons don't have forward-facing third row seats though, so the Flex is out, but I'm on the fence about the Forester - the first gen was most certainly a wagon, so if anything it's simply a historical classification without any bearing on what it currently is. Which means the current one is an SUV.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

stump posted:

The French disagree...
Yes but they're still French. I'd expect that from them anyway. :colbert:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

DropShadow posted:

From Reddit:

Quit hoarding them, rear end in a top hat. Let the rest of us have some. :argh: You can only drive one at a time anyway.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

:siren: New Jettawagen! :siren:

All is not lost! :woop:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-volkswagen-sportwagen-spy-photos-news

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Sir Cornelius posted:

That's not a wagon, it's a hatchback. Get out!

Dude. Beggars can't be choosers.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Goddamn I want a wagon, never dealing with a goddamn bike rack again. :argh: The paint was peeling anyway.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

If the Flex is out for looking "weird," then the Transit Connect is really out, right?

The Transit Connect is out because it's a van. The only word more terrifying to Ford than wagon is minivan, so if they can't call it that then the next best word is wagon I guess.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, there is a Focus wagon, so what are you trying to say?
It might be useful to mention that they don't sell it in the States, though, only the hatchback.

...Hatch or wagon, whatever you call it, it's better than a sedan though.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Especially the ST:
You just had to post it, didn't you. :negative:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

VacaGrande posted:

I never post in AI anymore but I will buy this if it's offered in the US with a manual. Guaranteed, 100%. See that, Ford? There's one.
Count me as two.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So a guy wanted to sell his Volvo. Thing is, he had a camera and a sense of humor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ0nkStZnWo

Volvo noticed. So they let him borrow a new one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2298iagVro

Still haven't caught my breath.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

On the one hand, it's a fine-looking car with a 6-speed manual. On the other hand, the ad says "rebuilt" title, not salvage title but that might be splitting hairs; the ad further states it has been driven for a while on this title so presumably it's road-worthy.

On the gripping hand, I saw "hellrot" and was expecting rust rust rust and more rust. Turns out that's a BMW factory colour.
...Isn't hellrot the factory color of every Mazda and Subaru sold in the rust belt? :v:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Goddrat I love those 159s. :swoon:

edit: :911: :smith:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Most people tend to forget that apart from blowing cool air, A/C is also a very good dehumidifier, which I've found to be absolute essential in the slushy winters we get around here.
Seconding this. AC with the heater on and the vents set to recirculate will clear your poo poo right the hell up.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Tremek posted:

Legit suggestion for someone moving would be a GMT400 or GMT800 Tahoe/Suburban/etc. Cheap, large, plentiful, and relatively reliable.
It's what I did. At this point I'm literally incapable of not having a Suburban. I doubt I'll ever find it inadequate for anything I might want of it, short of getting wholesale landscaping materials dumped out of a front-loader. But the '94 1500 I used to have had 42 gallon tank with $4/gal gas, so it was routine that I'd drop $125 on a tank. At least I didn't have the fo-fitty-fo. At this point with prices the way they are, plus a little bit smaller tank on the one I have now but the same mileage, it's about half that. If you're not used to trucks being trucks ya best stay away from 2500's unless you have a demonstrable need to tow more than the 1500 is capable of - the 1500 is more efficient, especially if it's not a 4x4, and the suspension is way more comfortable, with the same interior space. Just don't get a Tahoe, the interior is notably smaller and you're still driving a half-ton truck.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 19, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

I don't know a ton about cars so I've always wondered about this, why do all the different brands make a point of saying oh our auto transmission has tiptronic/steptronic/distronic/whatever? Does that mean anything at all? Don't half the cars that you'd want to buy that have autos just use the same ZF transmission anyway?
They want people to think that it's a sporty feature that's just like having a manual transmission if you want it because manual transmissions are "sporty." Sure it gives you at least a little more control, but some of them shift automatically at redline, act slowly, or once the transmission shifts it takes a while to engage the next gear, all of which reduce your actual control. Good ones (i.e. literal supercar-grade dual clutch boxes) shift quickly and immediately engage the next gear but do so smoothly, and let you bounce off the rev limiter all day long because you haven't told it to upshift yet. If you ask me the only realistic way I'm likely to use a manual-shift feature in an old-school torque-converter box is if I want to downshift down a hill for engine braking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh ok so when they say WITH TIPTRONIC or whatever, what they are talking about is the pseudo manual gear select part of it? I never knew what it was referring to specifically

My car actually has paddles for that where it's still automatic but lets you shift, but like you said it's not really that great or fast, I don't know why it has it that way. Just to look sportier I guess. Although I think if you put it in dynamic mode or whatever it will let you redline.
Yes.

Older ones, or putatively "cheaper" modern ones, will still have a gate on the gearshift for at the very least first or first and second, or on trucks maybe third too (on a 4 speed slushbox) but that's not for a sporty accelerating thing, it's so you can pick a lower gear when you need more torque to just keep (or get) the car moving on a steep uphill in a car that's barely out of the malaise era. Or for engine braking downhill. But that's just using the normal gear lever, normally laid out as P-R-N-D-2-1, only recently do they use flappy paddles.

• Locked thread