Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

djfooboo posted:

Dear Ford Motor Company,

The U.S. has not had a Focus wagon since 2007. You probably canned it because it didn't sell well. Maybe if you brought out the 2015 wagon to the states things would be better? It is a lot better looking than previous attempts.

Love,
djfooboo

I never post in AI anymore but I will buy this if it's offered in the US with a manual. Guaranteed, 100%. See that, Ford? There's one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
Help me, wagon thread. I'm ready to buy a car and due to bikes and dog and their general superiority I want a wagon. I also want a manual transmission because automatics make me feel dead inside. I'm looking to stay around 20k give or take and the only alternatives I'm seeing with a manual that wouldn't have a gazillion miles are Subaru Outbacks and VW Jettas. I did drive an Acura TSX wagon and absolutely loved it until I go to shift gears and there's a sad little gear selector in D that won't let me. I would buy that car tomorrow if it had a manual but here we are.

So, wagon thread, what cars (if any) am I missing? The long-term reliability and parts cost of the Jetta worry me and the Outback feels like a much bigger car than it is. And I mean that negatively. Is there anything else out there? Or should I just buy the TSX and enjoy all the features and comfort and looks and oh god I like that car.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

What mileage/year are you trying to stay under?

Passat wagon
Volvo V50/70 but it'd be older.
You could find a 3 or 5 series wagon in that price point too.
Some hatchbacks might fit the bill. The first gen Mazda3 is pretty much the same size as the JSW.

My wife's car is a Scion xA so we don't want a second car that's so close in size. After going camping in the Scion with two bikes on the roof, our car camping gear and weekend biking stuff in the back and our greyhound in the back seat we really want something a little bigger. We drove an Impreza but it didn't fit my wife quite right and I wasn't too impressed with the interior.

I'd like to stay 2009 and newer with under or around 50k on it. I don't drive that much but I want to keep whatever I get for a long time.

/edit - re: Ze Germans. My last car (I can't believe it's been 5 years since I had a car) was an E46 330i Performance Package which I still dream about at night. I bought it CPO with the extended warranty. Unfortunately I can't find a wagon in the CPO program that's low-priced enough, I don't want to spend as much money this time around since I won't be driving it every day. If I could find something with a longer warranty I'd be into it though.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

bacon! posted:

I joined the club!

Cool. We'll be car twins before too long I think. I'm resigned that I can't find anything else I like nearly as much, even given that I can't shift it myself. Searching for a blue one but they're few and far between.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
Doing what I bought it for. I love this thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Honestly, buying it is probably going to come at the end of 2016, if not early 2017. I've got a wedding to pay for first. Half of it was idle curiosity, the other half so I can sperg out on the options for a while. I could probably start looking at something in the ~15k range then, though. That would give me basically half a year to save up a down payment, and God willing I'll be making considerably more money by then, since I'll have had my CS degree for a year.

A luxury wagon just seems like the ideal car for my wife to drive. That way I get to drive all of the stupid, weird, and impractical cars I want while we have a comfortable, decently powerful, and practical wagon to go on road trips or whatever else with. I'm pretty sure I remember her liking the looks of both the CTS and the TSX, too.

TSX is highly recommended. I've had mine for 6 months now and love it. You're not likely to find one for $15k just yet though.

Bikes and camping and wagon life.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Negromancer posted:

A used TSX wagon would be OK, but they are even harder to find.

I really love mine. I drove to NYC from DC to get it, it was the only Vortex Blue one on this side of the Mississippi River at the time. Coming from a 6-speed 330i ZHP as my last car (with a 5-year gap of no car) it's a definite change, but I've been completely happy with it. It hauls absolutely everything, has all the toys you would ever want (I have the tech package a.k.a. the only option), and it looks great too. We've road tripped to Canada and to New England in it with 3 bikes on the roof and stuffed with camping gear and I wouldn't change a thing. If you can find one I highly recommend it.

• Locked thread