Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

JakeP posted:

They still make station wagons with the seat that faces out the back? That poo poo was nuts :keke:

The jump seats are an option on at least new E class wagons. You can get them on the Tesla Model S, too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

shane86 posted:

They made the 535iT for awhile though.. those are pretty bad rear end.

I can confirm this, mrs mango drives an 08 e61. I didn't do a tune but even stock 300bhp 300ft-lbs is awesome.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

blk posted:

Is the USDM one Xdrive only?

DropShadow posted:

I don't think so. There's a 535iT roaming around here that is RWD. Manual too.

By the E61 LCI in '08 (ours is an 08) I think X-Drive was the only option. I didn't check to see if special order rwd was available at the time since I was able to find the car I wanted pretty easily and didn't mind having it. Manual Tourings are truly unicorns.

I'm just mad we didn't get the real F11 wagon in the US and only got the GT F07. The F11 is really good looking.

That Volvo concept is hot, too. Doesn't someone here have the hot Volvo R60 wagon (or whatever that racy one was)?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KennyLoggins posted:

The new ride.

She's purrrrrrdy.

Wait, it's not the right color to be a V is it? The CTS V Wagon is the most insane and awesome thing ever and I will be sad when it dies and doesn't come back.

Enjoy the ride and take good care of her.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Larrymer posted:

It's not a V.

Dude still gets huge props for buying one of these. If it had been available at the time I got my bmw wagon I almost certainly would have gotten the caddy instead. Shame GM isn't likely to refresh the wagon now that the CTS has a new model.

You know, I am going to go give my wagon a wash right now and show the gal some love.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tremek posted:

Sup unibody 4 door liftback people

You must tell us more of the unicorn on the left. My heart is actually beating a little faster looking at that picture...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tremek posted:

The difference is the supercharger on the LSA. It's loafing along in stock trim, so spinning it faster and giving it more air and fuel nets crazy gains for the dollars spent. Many guys on stock internals are at 700whp. Will report back with results!

Keep living the dream and post here often. I must live vicariously through you.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

chutwig posted:

After 3 months of waiting and a generous donation to BMW, my wife and I have joined the wagon club with our shiny new 328d. I regret that it could not be had with a manual transmission, but many months of testing on my GTI showed that my wife was not likely to learn manual any time in the near future.

It's a really nice car, and it checks all the mandatory boxes: AWD, diesel, wagon

Wow that's beautiful. Would you mind sharing your detailed build. That color is looking good in the sun.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dog is not impressed.

These are awesome pics and now I have a very awkward erection.

In other news the E61 is going in for the last checkup before extended warranty expires. What can I tell a BMW dealer to get them to actually do poo poo like walnut blast the valves?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Piearesquared posted:

Well my wife and I had a kid and so now we need a family vehicle to fit us, our two dogs, a baby and babby accessories in. With our current vehicles the passenger seat needs to be alllll the way forward just to fit the car seat in properly. 

We don't want a van and we don't want an SUV/Crossover. So, we're left with wagons! Wagons are awesome in my opinion but the downside is that there are almost no cool ones available in the USA. We want a functional wagon for our family vehicle and I want it to be fun to drive with some reasonable power.

I test drove this 2008 BMW 535xi yesterday -$23,995 49,816 mi
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...70537/overview/

It's got all the bells and whistles with premium and cold weather packages, (it even has night vision!). It's a pleasurable drive and the power is surprising for such a heavy vehicle. The space is great and the leather interior is like new. The exterior is in pretty good shape for a six year old car. One minor scratch on a rear passenger door, a very slight dent on the front right passenger door, and then normal stone chips on the hood/fender.

Any reason we shouldn't pull the trigger on this wagon? I test drove an Audi a4 avant yesterday and it just didn't hold a candle to the 5 wagon. Other alternatives I'm considering are a CTS wagon awd or some Volvo wagon.

My experience has been counter to some of the other responses. We have an 08 E61 that we purchased new. Warranty covered the HPFP (a few years ago) and turbos (yesterday) and both were given extra warranty from bmw. We haven't walnut blasted it but have none of the symptoms that would suggest it is necessary. Will probably do it in the next year. I can't turn a wrench but will have the GDCS replaced proactively.

It is a hell of a car and there is more maintenance than other brands but the trade off in comfort and performance is worth it if you can foot the bill. Mrs Mango wants to drive the call until it has to be junked many years in the future she loves it so much. It's the perfect mom and family mobile.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

blindjoe posted:

The powered tail gate on the e61 wagon is sort of broken. It only opens sometimes, and sometimes it won't close.
Wouldn't have been too much of problem, but every trip the trunk gets opened to get the stroller out. #justbrokenwagonthings

Had this happen on Mrs Mango's 2008 E61 (sept 2007 build). The entire hydraulic system had to be replaced. Silly me, I thought it would just have been an electric linear actuator. But NOPE it's a whole separate hydraulic system for the rear hatch. We were super duper lucky that we reported an intermittent tailgate issue twice during the last year of our extended warranty, and even though said warranty had expired a month prior BMW covered the replacement as a good will gesture. Would have been $1,500 otherwise.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

SuperDucky posted:

So what you're saying is my mom's $15k non-cpo pre-LCI e70 is a writeoff if that thing goes.

I am wholly unsurprised.

I don't know that the E70 shares a similar system to the liftgate of the E61. That would be straying a little far from wagon chat anyways.

I actually made the mistake of buying an E53 in 2002 because it was $10k cheaper than the actual 5er wagon. I corrected that mistake in '07 with the E61. Of course I got it when the N55 was new, so who is sitting on the ticking time bomb now <evil laugh>?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Does it come standard with a full sized mattress in the back for all of the sex you will be betting in that thing?

If ever a car needed a pussy wagon plate this one is it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Speleothing posted:

The front plate makes it look like it's winking

It's not winking, it's coming on to you. It's all "come here big boy, slip on in and take me for a ride"

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

priznat posted:

North Americans just love body lean I guess!

I got tons of crap in the car recommendation thread for not getting a bmw 5 series GT. They didn't bring the wagon to North America (don't worry I still have an E61 in the garage), and the GT had a ton of body roll. I couldn't find an example with the active suspension and I didn't want to risk said suspension not completely eliminating roll. It's a shame, because the F11 wagon is awesome and the GT is a pig that rides just a little too high.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tremek posted:

Neat car interwhat!

Unrelated but awesome:

V60 Polestar. Sounded good although we were in traffic and I was in the wrong car to bait him to open it up.

This is the first time I ever seriously thought about suggesting carjacking as a viable option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Wow, there is something awe-inspiring about how such a nightmare of a car could ever make it into production.

In 2007 for the 2008 model year I seriously cross shopped the W8 wagon against the 535XiT.

So glad I got the E61. Best news is that the dealer replaced the tailgate lift juuuust before the extended warranty ran out. There is an entire dedicated hydraulic system for the hatch. Oh, and turbos and injectors were done at the same time. Because you know they are connected and it was a $50 deductible on the warranty. I would have done the nav system but it was done a few months prior to that. Out of warranty I pray nothing breaks and I have an excellent local BMW mechanic.

The W8 is still all kinds of awesome. Think of it this way: the W16 in the Veyron and Chiron is just two W8s joined at the crank.

• Locked thread