Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Jalopnik had a somewhat decent editorial last week about why America sucks for wagons: http://jalopnik.com/5948172/how-the-government-killed-fuel-efficient-cars-and-trucks

It really sucks that the Mazda6 Diesel is never, ever, never, ever going to come here. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tremek posted:

Fast forward 7 years or so: Shitbox #2 - 1991 Honda Civic wagovan:

The price: free. My father-in-law owned and drove this car since it was new, and was about to get rid of it by donating it when I spoke up that I would gladly take it.

FIL was meticulous about maintenance and receipts, and I inherited a 3-inch thick manila folder with the car that included the window sticker and an invoice on the date of the first Gulf War invasion from a Toledo dealership. 5-speed made it slightly less awful to drive.

I drove it for 7 months during the height of gas prices in 2008, and replaced it because I acquired the following car. Sold the Civic for $2500 to a guy that was more excited than I can tell you to buy it, btw.

Next project car of mine is going to be a 4WD one of these. I'm excited about a shitbox.

quote:

Definitely under consideration...

My feelings towards the CTS-V wagon: :aaa::fh:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tremek posted:

Right on re: Civic RT4WD. I looked for one for a while to use as a winter beater - you can also bolt up some variety of a B-series motor and make something like 160 crank hp NA easily, or like ~220hp w/ FI before the funky 6-speed manual tranny starts becoming a problem.

6 second 20 year old AWD shitbox? Why the gently caress not. :)

That's the plan. Find a D16Z6 and a baby turbo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Jalopnik (I know) says the US is getting more BMW diesels, including a 3 series sport wagon.

:keke:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
As the other AI guy with a Mazda2, it will never become boring catching up with people in freeway on-ramps and 4 wheel drifting it. It is boring trying to merge into traffic though. t:mad:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nm posted:

^^^^^^
Downhills

It's real strike is that Mazda hasn't gamed the EPA tests. My commute constantly beats 35 mpg, even with stop and go. One of the magzines said after the long term test, it was the only recent b segment car to meet or exceed its EPA mixed estimate.
That said, I clearly get why people get the fiesta -- toys! (Though the toys make it so heavy, the base motor fiesta is slower than an mt 2 despite have 20hp on it). Also, no one should ever buy an automatic 2., just a terrible transmission for 2013.

Seconding this. The only time I haven't gotten more than 30mpg (this includes 80+ mph highway driving) was when I took it to VIR. I get 33mpg all day long, and 37 or 38mpg if I keep it at the speed limit.

VV - It's just a gauge hooked up to the MAP.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

goatse guy posted:

Sometimes I regret buying a WRX instead of a Mazda2. I also wanted to own the second fruitiest car ever made, to pair with my Miata.

The WRX is a complete hoot and I could see myself on the receiving end of some nasty speeding tickets. I drove my coworker's 2011 with a Cobb 1 map, and the car was slammed packed and there was traffic on the freeway onramp, found an opening on the freeway, took it to just before fuel cut in 3rd, tapped the gas in 4th, brushed the brakes in 5th, and then looked down at the speedo: 100mph.

The only time I've hit 100 in the 2 was driving solo on VIR's front straight; I gained 7mph without a passenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tremek posted:

Goddamnit:

Wounded wagon. :( Hit 'n run in the airport parking garage apparently witnessed by the dude that left me the note. I talked to him and he's willing to cooperate with the police in trying to find the other driver, which at this point I would like to see through because karma. The parking garages have cameras that take a photo of the license plate of every car that exits so if the Denver police take even a passing interest in this I have to think this wouldn't be the unsolved case of the century.

It's driveable though so I tried to make the best of it and go drag racing immediately after landing (the reason I drove it to the airport in the first place instead of the Civic) and of course didn't run the dial and lost in the first round. Drag raced in a suit though so I guess that counts for something on the bucket list.

Wait, you have a Wagovan and a CTS-V. Are you me from the future!?

• Locked thread