Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

GramCracker posted:

Yea, the E Class AMG wagons are very rare and still command a premium.
Premium is an understatement and a half. Last I looked, E63 AMG Wagon resale prices are up there with the likes of CLK AMG Black Series and 2x+ what the non-AMG wagons go for.

GramCracker posted:

I was reading some article about them and Mercedes says that the target demographic for that car has an estimated income of something like $650,000+ :eek: Long story short, it's a car created for a VERY niche market, and each one now is custom ordered/made.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There seems to be a link between being crazy rich and wanting bespoke wagons. Didn't the Sultan of Brunei get Ferrari to throw together a few wagons, hatchbacks and shooting brakes?

Aren't a lot of Juke Rs going to Dubai?
Virtually every car marketing/ownership survey I've ever seen shows a direct correlation between wealth, education, and wagon ownership. Basically the more educated, wealthier, and "old money" you are, the more wagons you'll own. Mercedes sells the vast majority of their E-class wagons in New England, for example, with honorable mention to San Francisco and Florida.

One of my favorite such surveys was back from the AMC/Chrysler merger which showed the Jeep Grand Wagoneer having the wealthiest, best educated ownership demographic in the entire company.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

nm posted:

Does anything with 400hp get an EPA 30mpg, even HWY (under current method)?
Base model Chevrolet Corvette can do it real-world with the manual (taller 6th than auto, if memory serves).

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Tacier posted:

This was my first car, the 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. It packed a 62 horsepower engine and a stylish plaid interior. I miss it every day.

Those little Tercel SR5 wagons have to be one of my all-time favorite cars I've ever owned/driven, even after lots of interesting stuff over the years. The SR5 4WD wagon was an absolute institution in the upper midwest until every last one of them eventually died from rust and/or moon mileage. I wouldn't be surprised to see immaculate survivors go for serious coin in a few years at collectors auctions.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Is it wrong to pull the MAF sensor on the intake so it codes while she's driving, so I can convince her I need to order "replacement parts" from neuspeed? :v:
It's wrong as it will just convince her that all Volkswagens, and by extension all wagons, are unreliable and to never buy one again.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

nm posted:

I always wondered. What if they just sold fast, manual wagons. Seems like 98% of would be wagon buyers are enthusiasts. Problem is that 98% of wagon buying enthusiasts are cheap bastards who buy used.

Pretty sure I've seen more CTS-V wagons than CTS wagons.
I agree that US wagon buyers are almost exclusively enthusiast buyers and it's shocking how few manufacturers seem to get this. The example I always cite for this is the Volkswagen SportWagen. Not only is the wagon ~1/3 of all Jetta/Golf sales, but 50%+ of those wagons are not only diesels, but manual transmission diesels.

Amusingly enough, another one who seems to get it is GM. With exception of the Buick Regal GS AWD and still-MIA Regal wagon, GM seems to offer a manual in what you'd really want it to be available in. If GM offered a Buick Regal GS AWD wagon w/ manual option I bet the sales would be surprisingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Speaking of big Euro wagons, both the Mercedes E400 and Volvo V90 wagons are hitting the US in early 2017. With 329hp/354ft-lb in the E-class, plus a ~100kg diet, the US non-AMG wagon may actually be quick this time around. Same for the Volvo as it's 316hp/295ft-lb or 400/472 hybrid and rumors of a Polestar tune already. Sadly Mercedes is already downplaying talk of the E43 AMG wagon in the States, but an E63 has been all but confirmed.

Interestingly, the W213/S213 E-class and Volvo S90/V90/XC90 appear to have an identical wheelbase this time around as well.

• Locked thread