Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How lovely are the Passat and Jetta wagons? They look really nice and are getting around the 5k range. I'd like to look into one but the VW's track record sucks.

The Mazda 6 wagon looks like it might be a better option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

What year?

Passat:
1998-2005? Fairly lovely, but nice. See Audi A4. A manual V6 wouldn't be terrible beyond oil leaks and emissions issues. I wouldn't touch an automatic or a 1.8T that hasn't been owned by someone who has kept every receipt and has a mild case of OCD.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/3305952020.html

Automatic :smith:

quote:

Jetta:
MKIV: Hahahaha!

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/3393389324.html

It looks really nice :smith:

Looks like the 6 wagon is the front runner, either that or it's back to a Caravan haha.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I've always loved the looks of the wagon, but I'm just not willing to take the risk on reliability. The Mazda 6 wagon has an impeccable reliability record, and people are comparing it to Audi and BMW wagons in terms of how it drives so I'm gonna test drive one and see how it goes....Provided I sell my Crown Vic sometime soon.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's good to know because I'm currently in the market for a wagon and right now the Mazda 6 and 5 are at the top of the list followed by the European counterparts which I'm actually kind of scared of getting into. Volvo V50s are pretty sweet so are BMW wagons but I dunno.

Also If I found a cheap and clean low mileage Caravan I'd probably have to jump on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

I like the V50 too, but it's small and they didn't figure out a lot of the niggling issues until the end of the life cycle. You'd probably be better off with an equivalent Mazda 3 (same platform) or go one platform newer and get a current gen used Focus hatch.

Yeah probably not going there because it's too small anyway. The Mazda 6 is actually a tad smaller than I'd like but it's an awesome wagon for the price, which is why I'll probably end up getting one over the 5 because for some reason they are in the same price range an nowhere near as nice. I like the 5, but the interior is pretty crappy in comparison to the 6.

Trouser Chili, how is the average mpg of your 5?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

It's a shame that wagons are such a small market in the US that most manufacturers don't even offer one. I'd really prefer a wagon over a crossover, but the wide availability of dirt cheap crossovers makes that a tough choice to make.

Like what? Where are these dirt cheap crossovers you speak of that aren't steaming piles of poo poo?

There is no crossover that is more appealing to me than a wagon.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FancyMike posted:

My Mazda6 wagon was great for a long time, now it's at 160k miles and expensive things are breaking more often than I'd like. It's really too bad they didn't offer the wagon (at least in the US) with the four cylinder because the v6 has some real bullshit problems.

Like what? I've never heard anything bad about Mazda 6's in general, four cylinder or six both seem to be pretty drat reliable and cheap to keep.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Obviously after 160k you're going to have to replace poo poo, but I've never heard of the V6 motors having problems, it's been just the opposite with people raving about how good they are overall other than fuel economy which is pretty much normal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NOICE

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Was that common across the board though, or is it better with later models?

Even those issues don't sound all that bad though, I could deal with a reasonable seal leak. Just a bit concerned because I'm planning on getting a 6 wagon in the near future, if not probably a Prius.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well I'm in Florida so rust isn't an issue for me. I'll probably end up just getting a Prius anyway because it's all city driving and a 6 wagon will have poo poo mileage.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

poo poo, after reading that Mazda 6 wagons are having issues now, E46 wagons are back on the short list. At least the issues are known and easy to deal with.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

Huh? The mazda6 wagon is just a fusion wagon and those are pretty solid driverrain wise.

A couple people were complaining about them a page or two back, but I think it's isolated stuff because I've never heard any bad things about them until now. Going to be looking at a fully loaded '06 with 128k for $3500, if everything goes well it will be in my driveway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's a local guy that's always parking his lovely truck where I work when he knows he's not supposed to. One day I saw him put his keys inside the fuel door after he got out of it. I drove his truck across the street behind a gas station and hilarity ensued when he was trying to find it at 2am.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That's excellent. What kind of idiot stores their keys there anyways?

A special kind of idiot. The truck is a pile of poo poo Isuzu S-10 so I guess he figures no one would take it. He still puts his keys there, I've checked.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tremek posted:

Prepare to have your mind totally blown:

2014 is an overlap year between the 2nd gen -V cars (reliable) and the far more prevalent 3rd gen CTS (sedan only in 3rd gen) in base and V-Sport trim, which have had a few more teething issues.

Bottom line consensus, far beyond just TrueDelta, is the 2nd gen CTS is actually quite reliable. Not quite sure how GM managed that but they're holding up remarkably well. I think the v6 wagons run 2010 through 2014.

Is True Delta worth signing up? Like are there enough members to make a difference? I wonder about sites like it because it seems like there's not enough real data on niche cars or cars that just aren't very popular with the masses so it looks like results could be skewed. Like on the website Carcomplaints.com if a car is showing almost no issues it says "well either this car is awesome or it's not very popular" so how the hell is that helping me?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been using Long-Term Quality Index lately, and the CTS does not fair well at all with a "well below average" rating.

Gave up on wagons and have been looking at The Lexus LS and GS :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wish Lexus would have made an LS wagon, we have a 430 now and I love it but it would be perfect as a wagon.

• Locked thread