Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

dissss posted:

Guess the make and model
Man, Stageas are wonderful.

Jork Juggler posted:

I had this 8-seater 1996 Olds Ciera in college. Good times.
A-body love-in. :hfive:

Wagons! Love 'em. I had one! 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity CL. I bought it from the son of the original owners in June 2007 with 70k miles and a refreshed engine. Here is a small and blurry cell phone picture when I picked it up in Ames, IA:

I decided I didn't really like the steel rally wheels, so I swapped them with the Cutlass Ciera GT wheels from my 6000.

Rear facing third seat supremacy. My kids loved them.

I then felt that the Ciera wheels were blasé, so I got a set of 16" Lumina sawblades.

It had engine mount problems. I fixed it! :downs:

My tastes in wheels are cyclical, so the rallys went back on.

Some douchebag knocked a cement trash can into it at a gas station, denting the gently caress out of the driver's door.

Then it got stolen, and they wrecked the steering column. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get a replacement installed, so it went to the junkyard. My oldest daughter cried. :(

Wagons are amazing sleepers. A member of the A-body forum has a 1987 Pontiac 6000 S/E wagon with a turbo 3.1 swap (think Grand Prix McLaren Turbo). Here is a video of it dynoing 194 hp and 258 ft-lbs on a sketchy tune through a 440T4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_wwmwKxkM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
:)

:(

1996 Buick Century wagon, 131k miles. Popped a drat head gasket on the 3100 after less than a week of ownership. With the upper intake off, most of the hard work is done. I just need to figure out how to pull the power steering pump so I can get to two of the bolts holding the lower intake on.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Mighty Horse posted:

New member of the soccer mom society ...

'05 Magnum SXT with 64K on it...

I hope you didn't get the 2.7... :ohdear:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Mighty Horse posted:

Hmm, I know by 04 the 2.7s problems had been pretty much fixed, but its a bit underpowered for a LX don't you think?

Which is why I said that. 178 hp, even when it's backed up by a 3.55 rear end, is quite lazy for a nearly-two-ton car. That and it doesn't really get that much better fuel economy than the 3.5. fueleconomy.gov says the 2.7 supposedly gets one mile per gallon better. You get an extra 72 hp and about the same amount of torque, and in the real world, the 3.5 probably even gets better fuel economy, since it doesn't have to work as hard to lug around the same amount of weight.

An anecdote: my brother has a 1990 Cadillac Deville. The stock 4.5L PFI V8 died, so we swapped in a '94 4.9. The stock 4.5 got, according to the onboard computer, 15 mpg, no matter how he drove it. The 4.9 got 20-21, even with a marked increase in aggressive driving thanks to the extra power and torque.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

priznat posted:

Pretty Un-cool wagon, but has anyone tried out the new (2014) Kia Rondo? Looking at options to replace my wife's 10 year old Pathfinder and want to move away from SUVs with crap gas mileage.

The Rondo and the Mazda5 are currently what I'm considering, haven't checked out either at dealerships yet. Needs a good amount of room for 1+ kids and a couple dogs, those looked like good options. I think she already nixed the Ford Flex for being weird looking.
Mazda5 is officially a minivan, what with the sliding doors and all. I like them, or at least the idea of them, as I haven't had the chance to drive one. Six seats, sliding doors for easy in/out, you can get it with a goddamn manual transmission. What's not to like?

Also, tell your wife a man on the internet says SHE'S weird-looking for saying that about the Flex. :colbert:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

StandardVC10 posted:

Why can't American car buyers have nice things? :(

Americans don't want wagons or minivans anymore. They haven't for a long time. Those types of cars are not cool, man. Only soccer moms drive those.

...Except soccer moms have moved over to crossovers, so there isn't a market for wagons anymore. The only cars I can think of that still have a true wagon variant in America (my working definition is: long roof version of a sedan) are all German: Jetta, E Class, 3 Series. Audi doesn't really even have a wagon anymore, unless you count the "new" Allroad, which is literally an A4 Avant that has had its ride height increased a few inches. Hell, wagon stalwart Volvo stopped selling the V70 here a couple years ago, though there are rumors they may bring it back.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Steve French posted:

Also doesn't Acura still sell the TSX wagon in the US? Does the Prius V count as a wagon?

The Acura TSX wagon sells in such poor numbers I didn't even think of it. And the Prius is a Prius. :rolleyes:

Shin-chan posted:

Don't forget Cadillac still sells the CTS Sport Wagon (for now): http://www.cadillac.com/cts-sport-wagon.html

Forgot about that one too...

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

SPORK08 posted:

2.56 gears and 4 lovely shocks. My intent is to get taller gears and severely stiffen the suspension.

I'm pretty sure you mean shorter, as in numerically higher. 2.56 is as tall as I've ever heard of. I don't know if it's possible to go taller than that! That thing must idle at 70 mph.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Hey guys I finally finished fixing my wagon. Read all about it here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuRVw-w6yxE

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

blk posted:

Has anyone ever driven one of these (the SS)? For some reason I was reading about them the other day and all the reviews were pretty glowing except for some visibility issues and the cheap interior.

Exact same drivetrain as the Cobalt SS, with the same LSD (option) in the trans. The visibility is terrible, the ergonomics of various things, like the door locks and window switches, are incredibly frustrating.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

crutt posted:

Can I play?

I want a B-body wagon so badly, but two things prevent me from doing so.
- Every one on craigslist is donked or has had some other dumb poo poo done to it, and as such the owner thinks it's worth $6-10k.
- 4500 pound V8 beast hurts the pocket when it comes to gas.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Drag racing station wagons, eh? Yeah, I'm down with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn2mQ1cZKFA

Bound to be the slowest race anyone has seen in some time. My friend in the HHR ran 17.99, I went 18.27. 1996 Buick Century V6 wagon.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Tremek posted:

The commentary makes that, uh, amusing. :P
That's my wife. I really appreciated her yelling “step on it babe" as if I weren't trying to press the pedal through the firewall.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I gotta say, surviving the Las Vegas hellscape summer every year is worth it. I don't have to worry about winter tires or scraping ice off my windshield. By the same token though, on the very rare occasions when it does snow here, the city drat near shuts down. No one knows how to drive in the snow.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Wagons are amazing.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Wagon doing work. Averaged 20 mpg over 1200 miles. Click for big.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 11, 2015

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Beater wagon incoming.

See more here.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Stefan Prodan posted:

Is that an E39 wagon? That's sexy as hell

Looks like a 3 Series to me, so it's probably an E46.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Fart Pipe posted:

Nice, this is what I want if anything ever happens to my Subaru. Is it the 3.3? My mom had a 1990 sedan with that engine and it ran forever with minimal care. The only reason she got rid of it is because it got stolen and the people that took it smoked crack in it, broke the front seat so that it would recline and put big speakers on the rear deck. She cried when she saw it since she had it for like 10 years and my sister and I grew up with that car.

It is! I'm still not sure what I'm doing with it, but I couldn't pass it up for $200. It's rough, as you can see in the thread I linked, but it should be serviceable.

I am also, unfortunately, familiar with the ease in which these cars are stolen. I have a '96 Century wagon that got stolen from my driveway with literally a screwdriver.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

DropShadow posted:

A friend in high school had a Celebrity wagon

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

dissss posted:

What about stretched timing chains (or was that a uniquely Holden problem with those engines)?

Wasn't that the earlier non-DI ones?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Shameless whoring ahead:

If you denizens of the station wagon thread haven't been following my thread about my Century(s) (you should), I've completed the mock-up of what my sneaky LX9 swap into my '96 Century wagon is going to look like. I'm still waiting on some custom parts to button it up, but it's close to being done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I finished the LX9 engine swap. First of its kind, as far as I know.

• Locked thread