Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Are we discussing the anime in here as well? If so it'd be best to specifically label spoilers - I imagine there are quite a few people who are [at the moment] anime-only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Started watching the anime and been liking what I been watching so am going to start reading the manga but I have one question, is this a weekly series or a monthly series?

It is weekly.

If the scans keep up at this pace we'll be caught up to the raws in about a week and a half.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Looks like I was not far off the mark. :smith:

No wonder they don't tell anyone until they have undergone "Ideology Reformation" :gonk:

I think part of what really draws me into the Magnoshutatt arc - and this isn't a spoiler but certainly draws from the raw chapters - is that it's really hard to see who the 'good' and 'bad' guys are. In this chapter for instance:

Even the townsfolk think their quality of life is better than that of the higher level citizens. It's not that they're brainwashed, either - they knew precisely what their lives were like before becoming a glorified Magoi farm.

And to cover the future chapters a bit, not super serious spoilers:

Even the Chancellor, Mogamett has been presented as an exceedingly positive character. I believe he also has had some affiliation with Solomon, and has been entirely surrounded by the super great ~white rukh~ since his introduction.

So there's a lot of gray area in this arc, and I like it quite a lot. I'm almost dreading the inevitable introduction of Al Sarmen and the black vessels in this arc because it'll make things too concrete and straight-forward.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Scrree posted:

"70 years ago I was... a hunk!"

Wondering if Old Magic Man will bring up the Magi as a reason why those drat muggles/goi were always the ones to take and keep power. It doesn't make any sense for wizards not to rule the world in a setting where magic is hereditary, so I'm happy to see the issue being addressed directly.

It's quite likely the case that Magi are an influence on keeping Goi in power, mostly because Magicians can't use Djinn. A Magi could never pick one to be a 'King Candidate' because of that incompatibility.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Dan7el posted:

I think we're going to get an earful from Mogamett about the injustices of how the Goi treated the magicians with concluding with the death of his darling daughter.

As a result, everyone will feel deep sympathy for the current situation in Mustashim and understand why the Goi are treated like they are.

Overall, the Goi seem to be pretty happy with things. Sure, your kids will die young...honestly, I don't see that being very sustainable. They're going to have to start importing Goi pretty soon, I think.

I'm enjoying the manga and anime both. I'm very glad to see the mange being translated on a super-fast pace now. I will be sad when we catch up.

We did catch up. 160 should be out relatively soon, at least.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

Arab Dumbledore wasn't harsh to Aladdin because he wants to keep skilled mages around. He isn't stupid, so bringing down the hammer without even trying to avoid alienating all those bright young mages is out of the question. It isn't as though he really cares whether a few goi lived or died, either.

Something happened between him and Yamuraiha to make her live in exile, and it must have been pretty serious assuming he was telling the truth about raising her. I'm guessing she left fairly young since she only uses water magic while the curriculum there is all about mixing multiple elements.

I'm pretty sure she only uses water magic because she thinks it's the coolest.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
New chapter is up.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

Wonder how long Aladdin will be able to study there with that lingering problem unresolved. Not that it could be resolved without effectively instigating a revolution anyway.

It'll be resolved with a one-time application of Solomon's Wisdom to clear up Mogamett's trauma.

I'm kind of disappointed with the, 'he sees them as livestock' thing. It's just a way to make him seem cartoonishly evil despite his otherwise morally gray motivations.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

I guess I should have put it all together once they said that magi could create life.

What still surprises me is how Titus is a better magician than Aladdin. I don't know if I should take that as a sign of how strong Scherehazade is, or that Aladdin is still pretty weak for a Magi.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Weekly Magi release bump.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Pierson posted:

Man I wish Magical Hitler wasn't evil. :(

No more evil than the Laem or Kou empires - or Sinbad's alliance, for that matter.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

He's Bizarro Dumbledore, get it right.

E: Was that bit at the end an ad for a Sinbad spinoff? Or is it a side-story coming up next?

She's doing a 60-70 page special on Sinbad, I believe it's an aside to the current story, rather than an arc.

E: Now with a link!

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Chapter 170 is out.

• Locked thread