Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The BBR was a protest at a vote counting office at some office at a Dade county spot with a bunch of people wearing Brooks Brothers clothing so the name stuck. It just all got conflated with the bullshit Supreme Court "oh no we could never possibly have a recount so a republican has to win" bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Professor Beetus posted:

My assertion is that the Brooks Brothers Riot directly led to the Bush presidency which, to name at least one statistic that should matter, led to the death of 1 million plus Iraqi citizens due to a bullshit war.
Maybe it is just me, but I don't think you get to loop in "dead Iraqis" into the comparison between the BBR and 1/6. That is some obvious goal-post hail Mary poo poo my dood.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Academic but I guess it works as a descriptor. I'm more partial to Steve Bannon's phrasing, "Flood the zone with poo poo". They know exactly what they're doing and it's on purpose.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Academic but I guess it works as a descriptor. I'm more partial to Steve Bannon's phrasing, "Flood the zone with poo poo". They know exactly what they're doing and it's on purpose.

I guess I just don't see this as a Russian-exclusive or Russian-invented technique. Flooding the zone with conflicting stories is a propaganda method that goes back. And furthermore, I think deciding this is a "Russian" technique absolutely discounts the ability of our own homegrown oligarchs to just decide to use the same method, possibly even derived from a non-Russian source.

Deciding misinformation itself has a Russian character just feels like jingoism and willful blindness. The metrics on 2016 Russian efforts, when you get down to the actual attributable posts, are hilariously bad. Just like...worse than maybe a second tier Congressional candidate who we never heard of in terms of actual impressions.

So unless we have a different set of data than what was previously offered up as proof, Russians are just bogeymen, and this is just one more treat on the grand charcuterie board called Why Shizophrenics Are Having More Fun in 2024 Than Ever Before. The Kochs have put enough money into one local city council seat in a recent election cycle (candidate lost) that I saw more ads for that candidate than anything that even smelled like a Russian disinfo effort across my entire existence as a voter, since 1995. People had to go digging to find those attributed Russian posts. The fact that everybody smells Russians, but nobody has any more Muscly Bernie posts they can share that have been positively attributed is just...man, it's bad out there.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it's called a russian technique because the russian government perfected it during the cold war and tend to do it the most effectively in the modern age. stringed potatoes are hardly tied to any ethnicity and yet they are known as french fries

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Kith posted:

stringed potatoes are hardly tied to any ethnicity and yet they are known as french fries
They were probably invented in France, though, if Spain didn't do it first.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

FFT posted:

That’s what the Russians want you to think.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I invented french fries and I'm American.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

selec posted:

The metrics on 2016 Russian efforts, when you get down to the actual attributable posts, are hilariously bad. Just like...worse than maybe a second tier Congressional candidate who we never heard of in terms of actual impressions.

I was with you (re: jingoism and the ubiquity of disinfo broadly, including the technique under discussion) until this bit.

The "collusion" between the Internet Research Agency (under the FSB) and Bannon's Cambridge Analytical was inexpensive, but profoundly effective. They got Trump elected, started qanon, and convinced everyone that they didn't start qanon.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Uglycat posted:

I was with you (re: jingoism and the ubiquity of disinfo broadly, including the technique under discussion) until this bit.

The "collusion" between the Internet Research Agency (under the FSB) and Bannon's Cambridge Analytical was inexpensive, but profoundly effective. They got Trump elected, started qanon, and convinced everyone that they didn't start qanon.

I don’t think that’s a realistic reading of what got Trump elected at all. Because you can look at the reports and see the actually attributed numbers.

Anything beyond that requires a lot of speculation, inference and faith in spooks, and buddy I am not that big of a rube that I don’t know a sales pitch when I hear one.

Russia has less than 1% of the influence on any given American election than say, the Koch dark money pool does. Mike Lindell is a more influential political force in this country than Russia, or at least was in 2016.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
are there studies on troll "networks" and "meme"(the serious academic definition ) spread on pre 2015 stuff?

I feel like Bannon and mysterious nation state influencers were just building on a grassroots thing or were in the right place/right time to ride wave and claim responsibility.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The thread for discussing it was closed by the mods. Generally analyzing Russia-funded disinformation and propaganda entities and their impact is difficult because there are a lot of them targeting different areas raised by different entities, the ones that are brought to public light tend to be the newer or smaller ones, and most of all, because social media propaganda and disinformation running through these efforts works through selective mediation. This means that a) it exploits existing belief structures, worsening them, b) direct actions are significant for their indirect, mediated copying, and c) the effective entities work in part by standing up separate social information demand systems, creating a self-perpetuating social space for disinformation such that other people start producing it independently.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

FFT posted:

belgium is what i always heard

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No need to swear

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:ohdear: "Successive generations of women are becoming progressively more leftist, what do we do to encourage them to be conservative?"
https://twitter.com/mathryn_m/status/1740507596719894724?t=uf2KOdpMvA3H1gPZfaR5mw&s=19

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I have no idea how to parse any of that

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

"Am I so out of touch? No, it's the children women who are wrong."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Right wing websites (with one weird exception) have seen a crash in traffic this cycle relative to four years ago:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I never heard of some of those.

lol at the traffic crash.

e: I like how you instantly guessed 2/5 of the ones I've havent really heard of.(the other three are Townhall, Western Journal, Washington Times)

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 29, 2024

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PhazonLink posted:

I never heard of some of those.

lol at the traffic crash.
Twitchy and PJ Media came out of the Bush-era "warblogger" community, I'm surprised they still exist (even if only nominally).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FMguru posted:

Right wing websites (with one weird exception) have seen a crash in traffic this cycle relative to four years ago:

I think newsmax is sucking up people who got fed up with Fox News, which is kind of depressing to think about.

So is this people moving on from conservative news to more center leaning sources, or just moving on to Facebook or Twitter?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
ok so i'm looking at some of those and figuring out how much i like the trends

think about it with me

gateway pundit is absolute hogwild evil trash throughout, but this outcome means they couldn't catch on to the trump fervor

townhall is oldschool "history of boomerbrain" territory, pepperidge farm remembers this place's role in tea party / post tea party radicalization of conservatives, and they too have been outmoded

the blaze has been the on again off again roost of hyper crankdom and now it's almost down 70 percent

breitbart is one of the godfather stories of neo yellow-press transitioning to the internet to radicalize older conservatives, it's an important history lesson in the "how did we get here" story, so it down almost 80% in four years is impactful in more than one way

the federalist is just a hate group. full stop. in a darker future they became the vanguard press of the brownshirts in a total fascist takeover of america. you could tell how much they wanted it. they were lusting to fill that niche. we should all celebrate that they're in the "pretty much vanished" category because gently caress them

not even pepperidge farm remembers the total impact of the washington times on newsmedia. this is the end they deserve. this paper was designed from the onset to buy domestic political influence outright and create controllable political outcomes for the moonies, and it never stopped being a wild ride

national review has forever tried to style itself as the high minded conservative bastion of thought and thinking and thinkery and thinkification. the end result is some of the most pompous, declarative culture war poo poo you ever saw, especially when it came to pop culture reviews or movies, you just end up wondering 'jesus christ, just say you hate black people.' it has needed to die ever since it went in heavy for barry goldwater, but it especially needs to die today to end the eternal william f buckley "intellectual basis for conservatism" mindset

like it just goes on and on with the implications of this collapse. this is ... what's the term even going to be, optimistically historical?

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Not to rain on any parades, but isn't the simplest explanation that these days everyone engages with the social media posts but no one reads the articles anymore?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

SithDrummer posted:

Not to rain on any parades, but isn't the simplest explanation that these days everyone engages with the social media posts but no one reads the articles anymore?

That really kills these sites, because they are basically a way to launder hate into ad revenue.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Here is the direct link to the research source:
https://www.therighting.com/election-year-audience-erosion-continues-for-right-wing-websites

Their traffic reports been a source in press for some time, and they're citing their sources, so they appear credible in terms of that aspect, at least. Their editorial and descriptive material appears less credible.

Things to bear in mind:
  • Totals make it clear that despite the declines across the board, Fox News still has more than ten times as many visitors as anywhere else being measured. This isn't a matter of Newsmax just directly eating marketshare.
  • There is going to be visitor crossover between sites; similarly, users will be getting news from sources (including right-wing sources) that aren't on the list.
  • This appears to be measuring core websites. It does not reflect social media accounts or other mediators.
  • In practice, social media systems parasitizing direct media sources is a big part of the decline in media across the board; see also the declines at other non-right-wing news sites in the report.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

SithDrummer posted:

that wouldn't rain on my parade in the slightest. end result of the news engagement being parasitized by incomprehensible boomer memes on facebook watermarked with something like "FreedomAmerica USA PATRIOTZ" is all the same in that it directly fucksticks their ability to get revenue and produce content forever

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Ah, gotcha. Not taking this report as a sign of a decline in right wing identity or right wing excitement/engagement, but rather a decline in the flow of money feeding the Beast.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
well there's an indirect effect on right wing identity and engagement, because batshit botnet meme generation doesn't really direct a movement very well, and doesn't ... you know, invoke a new generation of competent professionals that can direct a movement successfully. like, whole political generations were seeded by washington times and national review and poo poo and produced people who, whatever their other faults, were canny political operators

without it, one generation in all you have is the True Believers, and they're loving useless. like a political movement governed by mid-80's tinfoil hat talk radio conspiratorialists

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
also some euro super power is wasting resources on some real world thing instead of american cyber stuff.

also maybe the modern meta is finally reaching that point where its sooo balkanized that its almost impossible to do anything meaningful and some places a "vaccinated" against poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I have no idea how to parse any of that

She's drunk

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Staluigi posted:

the federalist is just a hate group. full stop. in a darker future they became the vanguard press of the brownshirts in a total fascist takeover of america. you could tell how much they wanted it. they were lusting to fill that niche. we should all celebrate that they're in the "pretty much vanished" category because gently caress them

Yeah, someone linked me to a Federalist article once to try to prove something to me and I actually ended up browsing a little bit because the amount of sheer hate they express (especially toward women, often written by self-hating women) without stating it outright is fascinating. All justified by "America has moved away from Jesus."

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Pretty strong correlation between how much their traffic dropped and how much they depend on Facebook for their traffic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
RWM thinks that Jon Stewart selling a property for more than its assessed value is the same thing as lying about its value to secure loans and dodge taxes

https://nypost.com/2024/03/27/real-estate/jon-stewart-found-to-have-overvalued-his-nyc-home-by-829/

quote:

In 2014, Stewart sold his 6,280-square-foot Tribeca duplex to financier Parag Pande for $17.5 million.

The property’s asking price at that time is not available in listing records. But according to 2013-2014 assessor records obtained by The Post, the property had the estimated market-value at only $1.882 million. The actual assessor valuation was even lower, at $847,174.

Records also show that Stewart paid significantly lower property taxes, which were calculated based on that assessor valuation price — precisely what he called Trump out for doing in his Monday monologue.

Pande, who purchased the penthouse from Stewart, then resold the property at a nearly 26% loss, according to the Real Deal — at just over $13 million — in 2021.

Timothy Pool, a political commentator known for more right-leaning views, alleged on X that Stewart was being a hypocrite.

“Did @jonstewart commit fraud when he sold his penthouse for $17.5M? NY listed its market value at $1.8M an AV at around 800k… Who did he defraud?? I am SHOCKED,” he wrote.

“This is right in [Letitia James’] jurisdiction! I look forward to the grand jury indictment,” a user quipped in response to the tweet.

https://www.cracked.com/article_416...uplex-sale.html

quote:

Yesterday, real estate reporter Mary K. Jacob published her exposé on Stewart’s own dealings in finance and property in The New York Post, finding that, in 2014, Stewart sold his duplex in the Tribeca neighborhood in New York for millions of dollars more than its assessed value. Presumably, Jacob wants Stewart prosecuted for being too gifted in the art of the deal.

Though Jacob went to great lengths attempting to draw parallels between Stewart's completely legal property sale to Trump's proven fraud, she did admit, “The difference between Stewart and Trump’s cases is that a judge ruled that Trump sometimes exaggerated to lenders about how big his properties were, including the square footage of his Trump Tower apartment.”

But that's not the only difference at all – selling property and securing a loan based on falsified valuation of assets don't just have differences, they're completely separate scenarios altogether. As Stewart explained in the Daily Show segment, Trump tried to pretend that his penthouse had three times its actual square footage to secure a lone. Even by Pool's assessment of the transaction, Stewart committed no such deception when he sold his home – he simply sold it to the highest bidder in a transaction that was so completely legal it's positively mundane.

SO I expect to hear this repeated a lot this week.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I think that's been ran into the ground already :)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Every point is somehow dumber than the last and it started incredibly stupidly
https://twitter.com/april_harding/status/1773730805325389955

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Piell posted:

Every point is somehow dumber than the last and it started incredibly stupidly
https://twitter.com/april_harding/status/1773730805325389955

There we go. That's the Right Wing double speak I want to hear.

"The Dems are inherently more cunning and ambitious than the Republicans. This type of deviousness means they can't be trusted with power.
At the same time they believe in really stupid, pseudo intellectual things. This type of naivety means they can't be trusted with power."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
All the MSM out there hiring Dems like *checks notes* Ronna McDaniel

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Matt Taibi: famously noted for being right wing

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Elephant Ambush posted:

Matt Taibi: famously noted for being right wing

yes, for the last few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Attacking Democrats from the left is not right wing and it's really aggravating how many people don't understand horseshoe theory