Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Neito posted:

Ben is, to extend my little League joke, a Silver-Tier player; against a Bronze-Tier player, like a college student or a trash-tier lib or whomever he goes after, he feels like he's running rings around you, like he's mastered some hidden tech that makes you a god. In reality, all he's mastered is the debate version of last-hitting and chain-ulting; he's learned a few things that are astonishingly basic in higher tiers, but aren't things that new players think of, understand, or consider in their play.

I know there no such thing as getting a gold star since this is SA not Reddit but drat this is beautiful analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Levantine posted:

She sucks, full stop.

This is not a really weird thing to do, though. I was up in Hot Springs Arkansas on Friday night from my town in Louisiana and traffic was BONKERS. They already have a huge influx of visitors to the state for the eclipse acting crazy, getting drunk and crashing cars. The locals are more worried about people parking in strange places on the interstates and causing accidents because everyone is looking up. That, and everyone is treating it like a giant party. I'm sure people being weird about the eclipse is on the list, but not near the top.

On the list of dumb, weird poo poo she does, this isn't really on it.

this. i wouldnt be shocked if most states in its direct path are doing something similar. like i get why people make the click bait over it. She is a religious nutjob and i have seen enough chuds saying insane poo poo about the eclipse that i could totaly see it being for some insane reason.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Levantine posted:

She sucks, full stop.

This is not a really weird thing to do, though. I was up in Hot Springs Arkansas on Friday night from my town in Louisiana and traffic was BONKERS. They already have a huge influx of visitors to the state for the eclipse acting crazy, getting drunk and crashing cars. The locals are more worried about people parking in strange places on the interstates and causing accidents because everyone is looking up. That, and everyone is treating it like a giant party. I'm sure people being weird about the eclipse is on the list, but not near the top.

On the list of dumb, weird poo poo she does, this isn't really on it.

Agreed. Last time I was in the path of totality, people would bargain their soul for a pair of viewing glasses and/or dispense their life story because they came all this way to see the eclipse. That was during daylight hours, so cutting to drinking/partying was easily a step, not a leap. Go ahead and wreck that rental, eclipse viewers, the prosecution won't catch up to you before your flight leaves and you'll have one more story to tell.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Why worry about wrecking rental cars when the world is going to end today :shepface:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1777692784176009350

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Talk radio was all over this yesterday

NPR faces right-wing revolt and calls for defunding after editor claims left-wing bias

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/11/media/npr-uri-berliner-left-bias-right-wing-media/index.html

quote:

New York
CNN

National Public Radio is being battered by a right-wing storm.

A day after NPR senior business editor Uri Berliner penned a scathing piece for Bari Weiss’ Free Press, pointedly critiquing the publicly funded outlet and portraying it as an institution that has descended into the depths of wokeism, the network finds itself under siege.

Donald Trump, Fox News, and the other organs in the right-wing universe are holding up Berliner’s 3,500-word piece to demonize the outlet. And they are not stopping with a simple verbal assault, openly demanding that lawmakers strip the newsroom of its government funding. Trump on Wednesday, calling NPR a “LIBERAL DISINFORMATION MACHINE,” said that “NOT ONE DOLLAR” of government funds should be sent into its coffers moving forward.

“NO MORE FUNDING FOR NPR, A TOTAL SCAM!” Trump ranted on his Truth Social platform.

While Trump has pushed to defund the outlet before, the rage present in his post reflected the larger backlash in the right-wing media universe, where top figures have lambasted the public radio broadcaster as nothing more than a liberal propaganda mouthpiece and questioned why taxpayer dollars are funding the outlet. The NPR editor’s allegations of network bias has been billed as a top story, with right-wing outlets and personalities portraying Berliner as a “whistleblower” who has shined a bright light on a sinister operation aimed at indoctrinating Americans.

“WOKE NPR EXPOSED,” declared an on-screen banner Wednesday on Fox News’ most-watched program, “The Five.”

“NPR PUMPED OUT AN ASSEMBLY LINE OF PROPAGANDA,” blared a separate banner on Fox News host Jesse Watters’ primetime program.

Berliner, however, did not go nearly that far in his piece. And he stressed in his essay that defunding the broadcaster “isn’t the answer.” In an email on Wednesday, Berliner also told CNN that he rejects the notion that NPR is a “liberal disinformation machine,” as Trump stated.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh man the leopards are eating another face. Bet they're happy they spent years insulating themselves from criticism by being fair and balanced towards Trump. Giving him years worth of benefit of the doubt far, far past the point when it was unearned and had become blatantly obvious it was being abused was surely a wise and studious course. Nice, Polite Republicans indeed. It took them how many years to just use the actual word 'lies'? I remember that was a whole big thing, had to be super nice for years and just couldn't shatter decorum by saying the liar lies.

Well no worries all that good will banked with the fascists will surely let this little kerfuffle be evaluated in a sober, balanced manner respectful of all sides of the issue.

loving idiots.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I listen to a little NPR and the only liberal bias I can ascertain is that reality has a liberal bias. THey're the only station I hear really giving semi decent coverage to the genocide in Gaza and even that treads rather lightly.

I don't see how people think they'll get more fair and balanced news from a corporate sponsored outlet that's owned by one of many 3 major media conglomerates versus a publicly funded national station but, then again, the people who hate NPR want to privatize social security, education, utilities, police and poo poo like that so...

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I like how Berliner tells CNN that he is done talking to them but then sends another email with a chart showing Democrats also no longer trust the media.

I have seen many Democrats complain about places like NPR because they give Rs too much leeway. However, that floats in the opposite of his entire premise so he just leaves the chart and stops talking to them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Quoting summary from the politoons thread where it got my attention first:

Discendo Vox posted:

What a loving mess- it's a current employee writing for Bari Weiss's platform. His supporting evidence for bias consists of "The audience has trended liberal over time according to surveys", and by dismissing the idea that Trump officials colluded with Russia, endorsing the Hunter Biden laptop conspiracy theory, and endorsing a lab leak theory for Covid. His root belief in the causal factor: that NPR accepted the idea that systemic racism exists, and basically got politically correct over it. Those are the highlights, but it's basically a greatest hits of Weiss's "I swear I'm not a conservative, I am just being silenced for my beliefs...you know the ones" playbook.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

NPR faces right-wing revolt and calls for defunding after editor claims left-wing bias

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/11/media/npr-uri-berliner-left-bias-right-wing-media/index.html
THE RIGHT-WING MEDIA UNIVERSE

Yes we have a motherfucking empire of propaganda but how dare your audience trend in the direction of objective reality for this one outlet when we go the other way

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
fwiw that CNN analysis article is very good at pointing to some of the giant problems with the piece; it's worth a full read.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
The Russian collusion was absolutely real and that's why the GOP is still working to suppress any dialogue about it.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Islamic Shock posted:

THE RIGHT-WING MEDIA UNIVERSE

Yes we have a motherfucking empire of propaganda but how dare your audience trend in the direction of objective reality for this one outlet when we go the other way

Right wing's been against NPR as far as I can remember. NPR usually counters that they serve all communities, and if they had their funding slashed they'd probably have to stop reporting so much on cattle futures.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

killer_robot posted:

Right wing's been against NPR as far as I can remember. NPR usually counters that they serve all communities, and if they had their funding slashed they'd probably have to stop reporting so much on cattle futures.
Eh I long for the days when the hypocrisy wasn't quite so naked

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The back and forth I hear about NPR is

:v: "Only a small % of funding comes from federal taxes"
:smug: "Then why get upset if it goes away?"

It's very much a similar gotcha to them feigning confusion at LGBTQ groups when they are vehemently opposed to the idea of a "throw pedos in a wood chipper act" bill.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

The back and forth I hear about NPR is

:v: "Only a small % of funding comes from federal taxes"
:smug: "Then why get upset if it goes away?"

It's very much a similar gotcha to them feigning confusion at LGBTQ groups when they are vehemently opposed to the idea of a "throw pedos in a wood chipper act" bill.
When I want people to shut the gently caress up forever about government spending I usually just mention the F35

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I listen to a little NPR and the only liberal bias I can ascertain is that reality has a liberal bias. THey're the only station I hear really giving semi decent coverage to the genocide in Gaza and even that treads rather lightly.

I don't see how people think they'll get more fair and balanced news from a corporate sponsored outlet that's owned by one of many 3 major media conglomerates versus a publicly funded national station but, then again, the people who hate NPR want to privatize social security, education, utilities, police and poo poo like that so...

well it also helps when you have this one weird trick: never, ever act in good faith :hellyeah:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1778405715243069842

Newsmax clearly has late stage Alzheimer's

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Some real "you forgot the "e" on the word "potato" vibes here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYNGCNtDb-w

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Apparently Tim Pool has opted to represent himself. Will he swear on his beanie to tell the truth, the whole truth, so help him god?
https://twitter.com/BankstonAtLaw/status/1778814093001896183?t=AwXy9oA1RPitBCZ4Ap8OZA&s=19
Fox News, Far-Right Podcasters Sued For Linking Wrong Man To Neo-Nazi Shooting
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-news-far-right-podcasters-sued-for-linking-wrong-man-to-neo-nazi-shooting_n_66182adbe4b00830e916c232?j34

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fuckin’ get ‘em, Bankston

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That’s a wild list of slam dunk lawsuits. Hopefully he puts a few of those under with this suit.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hope Fox gets nailed again. gently caress them all.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I expect most of them will settle without admitting wrongdoing, while publishing a retraction in 6 point font in invisible letters on a page nobody can find on their respective sites.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shooting Blanks posted:

I expect most of them will settle without admitting wrongdoing, while publishing a retraction in 6 point font in invisible letters on a page nobody can find on their respective sites.
That would be the smart move.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well thats just bizarre

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1778920375876763946

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
The Attorney General of the United States officially does not act in an independent capacity. Well isn't that interesting.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

The Islamic Shock posted:

The Attorney General of the United States officially does not act in an independent capacity. Well isn't that interesting.

To be fair, what the judge is saying here is that there's no evidence of this being selective prosecution, and even if it were the case that the AG was selectively prosecuting Hunter, the AG's boss is Hunter's father, which makes the claim nonsensical.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m sure there are fathers who would abusively prosecute their kids if they had a chance!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In fairness to Hunter, it's not a nonsensical argument.

For a start, the argument about a targeted prosecution does have merit in that he was charged with some charges, a "deal" was offered and then further charges were made after a lot of publicity.

I'm not saying it's a slam-dunk argument, but there is certainly an argument to be had there.

Where I'm less sure on is the reasoning that "the AG reports to the President."

As far as I'm aware, in a slight distinction, the AG's client is the US Government as opposed to the sitting President. Obviously, it's into splitting hair's levels and the question about what is the practical differences, but I think anyone would acknowledge that President Biden is certainly staying as far away from the Hunter case on a professional level.
He's not telling them to drop the hammer on Hunter or telling them to go easy on him.
Where as other actors within the different departments could be interfering one way or the other.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

FlamingLiberal posted:

That would be the smart move.

Counterpoint: Tim Pool is not a smart person. In fact, he's the opposite!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Right wing humor in a nutshell:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's funny, in all my years of schooling the teachers pushing their politics into the classroom were always conservatives or right leaning conspiracy theorists. Never once was I taught leftist woke politically correct propaganda. Several of my teachers, particularly in college, were clearly to the left of the center but they never pushed any agenda.

I remember kids getting poo poo for being different, but it was always from the safe seat of a young white Christian boy.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Why the gently caress did they say "sixth-graders" then write the kids as much younger? ("Despite being unaware of what a 'Biden Supporter' was...") Bush/Dukakis was when I was when I was in second grade - it wasn't covered in detail but everyone understood what it was. Bush/Clinton was sixth grade, and that included actual stuff about the electoral college and the history of why it existed. (My teacher said that, if someone won the popular vote but lost the electoral in the modern age, we'd probably do away with the EC. Which, looking back, lol, lmao, etc)

I'm beginning to think these people don't know anything about kids (or schools) at all!

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Right wing humor in a nutshell:

This was essentially me as a high school freshman in 2004, when my born again biology teacher polled the class on who they would vote for if they could vote. I was the only one who said Kerry and got to enjoy an entire semester of being on his poo poo list.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

99pct of germs posted:

This was essentially me as a high school freshman in 2004, when my born again biology teacher polled the class on who they would vote for if they could vote. I was the only one who said Kerry and got to enjoy an entire semester of being on his poo poo list.

A story with no heroes

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

After The War posted:

Why the gently caress did they say "sixth-graders" then write the kids as much younger? ("Despite being unaware of what a 'Biden Supporter' was...") Bush/Dukakis was when I was when I was in second grade - it wasn't covered in detail but everyone understood what it was. Bush/Clinton was sixth grade, and that included actual stuff about the electoral college and the history of why it existed. (My teacher said that, if someone won the popular vote but lost the electoral in the modern age, we'd probably do away with the EC. Which, looking back, lol, lmao, etc)

I'm beginning to think these people don't know anything about kids (or schools) at all!

If nothing else, this godforsaken century has been very good at showing us that we're just as loving stupid and illogical as we ever were as a species. So many reasonable assumptions about how we'd deal with crazy hypotheticals and historical repeats just thrown out the window, as we realize we're perhaps even dumber than out ancestors.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

BiggerBoat posted:

his letter briefly mentions that NPR stopped using "biological sex" as a phrase when referring to trans people as supporting evidence of their being ideologically untrustworthy. Like yeah dude, you want NPR to spend more time litigating people's gender identity? There are far more neutral ways to talk about trans people without using the dogwhistle :biotruths: rhetoric.

it's one of those things where it's like, what kind of conservative perspectives do you want NPR to better represent? Could it be that there's an important conversation happening on the other side of the political line that I'm not aware of? Oh wait no, you just want NPR to be more willing to give voice to transphobes and "gender critical" terfs? come on dude, you can't pull the "but my moms were lesbians!" argument on this poo poo.

I had to stop reading the Atlantic bc they spent years signal boosting even the mildest forms of transphobia, while refusing to cover any of the attacks on trans rights. But I guess if NPR reports on transphobic bills without actively attacking the validity of trans existence then I guess it has succumbed to ideologically poisoned groupthink.

the idea of total ideological neutrality when one side has elected officials who openly call minorities "imps, demons, and x-men" that need to be eradicated--it's just insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Cephas posted:

it's one of those things where it's like, what kind of conservative perspectives do you want NPR to better represent? Could it be that there's an important conversation happening on the other side of the political line that I'm not aware of? Oh wait no, you just want NPR to be more willing to give voice to transphobes and "gender critical" terfs? come on dude, you can't pull the "but my moms were lesbians!" argument on this poo poo.

These people went through a very similar tantrum when CNN decided to stop bringing in the Family Research Council or the American Family Association and give them equal airtime with the pro-gay rights side whenever there was any sort of discussion about it. They're used to "both sides"-style reporting giving them an easy platform (and a lot of outlets don't even bother with that, they just give the transphobes all the airtime), so whenever they aren't invited on to call trans children mentally ill fad-following reprobates whose parents should be locked up, they whine about media bias. It's yet another tactic they used in the leadup to Obergefell that they've just slapped in the microwave for a minute or two and trained themselves to say "transgendered" instead of "homosexual".