Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

infinity2005 posted:

RT seems to have some interesting content though at least, and i don't find it that biased.. if you 'unskew' (can't think of a better word) the obvious pro-Russia opinions or little digs at certain groups in what they choose to report on then i think it's good, although i've only been watching for a short time. Fox is just straight up powering nonsense into your face all day and being dishonest about it.

I could watch Max Keiser yell about fundamentalist suicide bankers all day :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
As much as I hate to see radio go down the shitter, watching Clear Channel crash and burn is SO GRATIFYING as somebody who lived through the Bush administration. Shame it can't be broken up Ma Bell-style.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

infinity2005 posted:

RT seems to have some interesting content though at least, and i don't find it that biased.. if you 'unskew' (can't think of a better word) the obvious pro-Russia opinions or little digs at certain groups in what they choose to report on then i think it's good, although i've only been watching for a short time.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by pro-Russia? Is Thom Hartmann a pawn of the red menace?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

infinity2005 posted:

RT seems to have some interesting content though at least, and i don't find it that biased.. if you 'unskew' (can't think of a better word) the obvious pro-Russia opinions or little digs at certain groups in what they choose to report on then i think it's good, although i've only been watching for a short time. Fox is just straight up powering nonsense into your face all day and being dishonest about it.

I can't take RT at all seriously as a news organization after reading the Middle East thread. RT is right down there with Prison Planet with me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Because Fox is a propaganda arm of the Republican party that people take seriously as news for some reason. It should be taken less seriously than Russia Today.

Bill O'Reilly pretty much admitted this and even talked about it during his "debate" with Jon Stewart. "Fair and Balanced" means "we are the conservative network, other networks are free to cover the liberal stuff if they want"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

President Kucinich posted:

This thread is primarily focused on Fox News brand right wing media. It should be expanded to include the likes of the Trinity Broadcasting Network or Jack Van Impe Ministries.
I searched to see if this was brought up in this thread because I'm consistently disgusted by the sight of that miserable old gently caress alongside Sunday night football games.

"Doctor" Van Impe (neither he nor his wife have a PhD from any accredited university) is an end-of-times evangelical with an (admirably) encyclopedic knowledge of biblical verses. He and his dead-eyed wife use their Sunday night slot on Fox to preach hatred of minorities, liberals, and ESPECIALLY Muslims. Seriously, this guy hates Muslims so loving much. The premise behind their show is to preach basic gospel ministry, but it inevitably turns into standard far-right rhetoric complete with full-screen flashes of fabricated fearmongering headlines about the Devil Obama, sympathy for Israel, and why haven't you bought gold yet??

Hazo fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 22, 2012

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Jack Van Impe has been doing his thing for years. Whenever I catch him on I have to at least watch for a few minutes just to see which current events indicate the end times are upon us this week. I feel pretty bad for the folks that watch him unironically.

The Clear Channel talk reminded me of when local news stations owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group were required to show a one minute "conservative" commentary at the end of their newscasts called "The Point" with Mark Hyman. Hyman is the Vice President for Corporate Relations for Sinclair and used his time to be a smug douche. Thanks to this thread I've remembered that he no longer taints our local news. This is good. There is hope.

I wanted to link some old videos of "The Point" but I can't locate anything. Kind of weird. I thought it would be out there.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

What the gently caress kind of name is "Rexella"???

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

/\ A better one for concealing underlying psychosis than "Nutella."

Bob Nudd posted:

This is a nice example of how right and left are both inclined to use human-scaled, anecdotal stories of zero significance to prop up their conceptions of the world.

Except when 'the left' does it, it isn't some Alzheimer's-ridden hack washout trumpeting a zero-significance anecdote that wasn't even remotely true despite it becoming a completely accepted meme that is pervasive even after almost 40 years.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm not sure if this should go here or not, but I got that "Dreams of My Real* Father" DVD in the mail the other day and, the more I think about it, realize that this is indeed part of what we're talking about in this thread. This movie, combined with the "2016" documentary, I think really illustrates how pervasive this right wing messaging really is. It's all stupid hot air and based on absolutely nothing. There are hundreds of reasons to dislike Obama but these people just invent things out of thin air.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not sure if this should go here or not, but I got that "Dreams of My Real* Father" DVD in the mail the other day and, the more I think about it, realize that this is indeed part of what we're talking about in this thread. This movie, combined with the "2016" documentary, I think really illustrates how pervasive this right wing messaging really is. It's all stupid hot air and based on absolutely nothing. There are hundreds of reasons to dislike Obama but these people just invent things out of thin air.

I'd like to think it was purely because the right-wing finally just went completely insane after a black man got elected to the highest office in the land...but then I remember "Whitewatergate" and Vince Foster and the whole Clinton blowjob impeachment thing, and I realize they've pretty much always been this crazy. They're just a lot more brazen about it this time around.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'd like to think it was purely because the right-wing finally just went completely insane after a black man got elected to the highest office in the land...but then I remember "Whitewatergate" and Vince Foster and the whole Clinton blowjob impeachment thing, and I realize they've pretty much always been this crazy. They're just a lot more brazen about it this time around.

I remember when Rush Limbaugh called Kurt Cobain a waste of skin the day after he died. They've always been brazen about it, it's just far more obvious to us now, because unlike the Clinton days, the poo poo they're making up has no threads to reality (And we have the Internet to use for fact checking). At least Vince Foster was a White House staffer who was found dead, and Clinton did get a Blowjob.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Soap Bat Derby posted:

I remember when Rush Limbaugh called Kurt Cobain a waste of skin the day after he died. They've always been brazen about it, it's just far more obvious to us now, because unlike the Clinton days, the poo poo they're making up has no threads to reality (And we have the Internet to use for fact checking). At least Vince Foster was a White House staffer who was found dead, and Clinton did get a Blowjob.

They are brazen because the are fundamentally shock jocks in three piece suits.

Like was mentioned earlier, there are plenty of real things the right could grill Obama on. But that poo poo is boring, and the few people who are interested in that sort of thing are already tuned into NPR.

If you want to get listeners to tune in and sit through the commercial break, Obama can't just be wrong on some wonky technical terms. He has to be a Islamo-Commie-Nazi who will utterly destroy America. I'm also of the opinion that the crazy conspiracy talk leads to a sort of Stockholm Syndrome. Basically that you and the radio host are the only ones who realize that everyone is out to get you, and you can hear it as the host and supportive callers will verbally jerk each other off every chance they get.

:byodood: I love your show
:smug: You are a great American
:byodood: You are a greater American
:smug: We are both great Americans, and I'll send you a copy of my book, Why Obama is Literally The Devil

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

:byodood: I love your show
:smug: You are a great American
:byodood: You are a greater American
:smug: We are both great Americans, and I'll send you a copy of my book, Why Obama is Literally The Devil

This is one type of caller, which is always obnoxious, but there's also the risk that spouting unhinged craziness will make the literal crazies call in, and those can be amusing. I was listening to Andy Dean on the way home from work, who appears to be some up-and-coming Hannity type, and he had to constantly tell his callers not to say that Obama is like Hitler or Stalin, because apparently they "lose sponsors" from that kind of talk. The smaller shows don't seem to have as tight call screening, so even more of the conspiracy theorists get on the air.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think they started going off their rocker about the time they started using the southern strategy.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think they started going off their rocker about the time they started using the southern strategy.

Well yeah, the Goldwater/Reagan conservative movement was started when the enormous number of racists and xenophobes in the country went apeshit over the Civil Rights Act, and the Republican party swooped in use them to further free market capitalism. During the New Deal the rural and southern racists were contained in a kind of bubble within the Democratic party, where the progressive wing didn't listen to a word they said but they still voted lockstep Democratic and allowed for left wing majorities, until the progressive wing finally got around to forcing civil rights through.

They were always this insane though, these are the same people who fluoride in tapwater was a communist mind control plot, etc, etc.

Also the whole mass racial violence and lynchings deal, which is somewhat of an issue.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 25, 2012

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
The only thing worse than a sexist pig is a sexist pig who tries to duck responsibility for his actions by projecting his sexism onto those fighting against sexism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfjE1GWcHWc

This is of course the same guy who blathered lurid sex fantasy acts on the air about a woman who he wanted to call a whore for defending women's health care procedures using contraceptive devices that wasn't even related to sex. (Such as their use in cervical operations.)

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Spacedad posted:

The only thing worse than a sexist pig is a sexist pig who tries to duck responsibility for his actions by projecting his sexism onto those fighting against sexism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfjE1GWcHWc

This is of course the same guy who blathered lurid sex fantasy acts on the air about a woman who he wanted to call a whore for defending women's health care procedures using contraceptive devices that wasn't even related to sex. (Such as their use in cervical operations.)

I heard this live the other day not knowing if it was a parody or not. Guess that answers that, oye.

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008
Noted sex-tourist Rush Limbaugh has something to say about the treatment of women?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cymbalrush posted:

Noted sex-tourist Rush Limbaugh has something to say about the treatment of women?

You left out 4 divorces. Real pillar of traditional family values.

Honestly, how does anyone take this man seriously anymore? When he first started out, no one did. He was like a right wing version of Howard Stern, where people would just tune in to hear whatever outrageous poo poo the host might say next, but no one confused either one of them for intellectuals with deep and meaningful political ideas. Howard even wrote about it in his first book when he ragged on Rush for basically copying his schtick, albeit from a different angle and after failing in radio over and over, and in large part rode Howard's coat tails into popularity by basically learning that you could say anything you want and that the key to good ratings is getting as many people who hate you to tune into your show as those that like you.

But Limbaugh's hypocrisy and indiscretions are beyond the pale. At least Howard is honest. Limbaugh has accepted the help of the ACLU when people were after his medical records for his drug problems after repeatedly labeling them as enemies of America for years. Rush is on record for harsher penalties for drug users but I don't remember him advocating locking himself up for his own good or even changing his position once he got in trouble. He's been divorced 4 times and advocates for traditional family values.

He's the PT Barnum of AM radio, been exposed over and over as a fraud and a hypocrite, but legions of listeners tune into to his show and wait with baited breath every day to listen to him in order to absorb and regurgitate whatever news has been reported by the "liberal media". They don't know how to interpret reality until Rush does it for them. You can set your watch to this poo poo. Any time there's any bad news for Republicans or good news for Democrats, the conservative flock is eerily silent, but wait ONE DAY and and every message board, comment section, radio caller and op-ed pukes back, ad hoc, into our faces whatever Rush has decided is the way to view a situation and what to think about it. If it's over the top, then they turn to blaming the messenger and all of the focus shifts to that (Sandra Fluke, Donovan McNabb, Dan Rather, Katie Couric, Candy Crowley).

He went from a guy trying to make a living in radio to the messiah of alternative conservative media and spokesman for the Republican party so fast that no one really noticed how he got there. He tells people what to think and they believe him. Every day. Even when he's wrong, he succeeds at framing the debate and putting the wrong targets on the defensive. I see it on this forum from time to time whenever a conservative rolls in to troll threads. I hate throwing Nazi comparisons around, but he really is the modern American equivalent of Joseph Goebbels. Hannity is a close second.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 26, 2012

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I don't think the relationship between Rush and his listeners involves one taking the other "seriously". He sings hate and people pay to hear it because they are afforded few other opportunities to realize their hate against modernity, dark people, women, students, the ocean/rain-forest/atmosphere, computers, etc. The commodity in trade is not information, it is something on a different plane entirely. He's practically a cardinal in the church of the GOP, so think of his show as a sermon and his audience as a flock, and it makes a lot more sense sense. People who do not take the show seriously take the man seriously because of the size of his audience. You think he has no place in American discourse, but he has a place commensurate with the size of his audience, which is enormous.

Discussions about the GOP, the religious right, and what's to be done about them aren't going to go anywhere until people start acknowledging that the Republican Party is not a political party in the same way that the Democratic Party is. Traditional political attacks are going to become more and more ineffective as religious behaviors keep seeping out of the religious-right and polluting the rest of the party.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Rush has had ditto-heads for at leas 20 years. There will definitely be people who agree with him and take him seriously.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Zeitgueist posted:

Rush has had ditto-heads for at leas 20 years. There will definitely be people who agree with him and take him seriously.
That's why I find arguments from the defenders of conservative pundits that it's just entertainment unconvincing. There definitely are people who unironically agree with the stuff the likes of Limbaugh put out there, and who cling to his version of reality even when the most cursory attempt to check the facts would reveal he's objectively wrong, as the Sandra Fluke thing amply demonstrated.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Guys like Rush and Hannity are comfort food to right-wingers. It is a place they can go to and get spoon fed arguments for their beliefs and get validation.

The most worrisome aspect is that Rush has taken it so far as to become a sort of perpetual motion machine. He went from opinion echo chamber, to opinion maker, to the chief of the Republican Party apologizing for making Rush out to be a mere entertainer*. His de facto position as echo chamber/policy maker/secret boss of the RNC can just keep feeding into itself. It will be interesting when he dies because so much of the Republican machine has relied on him framing everything and setting the talking points. One thing is for sure, regardless of all the skeletons that come out of Rush's closest after his death, he'll still be given a sort of sainthood, sitting at the right had of Reagan Jesus in Republican Heaven.

*Listen to any these guys long enough and you will eventually find them hiding behind the "entertainment" label when they say something that goes too far. In a similar fashion, almost all of them will self-identify as "independent", to make themselves out to be legitimate journalists instead of the pundits they really are.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
What was Rush like during the Bush years?

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008
It may have already been mentioned, but didn't Chomsky talk about right-wing radio listeners in a somewhat sympathetic way? As in, if you try to remove yourself from your social awareness/education/etc. the stupid populism Limbaugh and his cohorts sell seems reasonable. Almost certainly most Rush listeners aren't "bad people," they're just reacting to various crises of capitalism within their own (flawed) framework.

If someone has a link to what I'm referencing, I'd appreciate it since I can't find it right now. As far as I remember, I guess the main point was that a lot of people have lived according to the "rules" and when the American Dream comes personally crashing down around them, it's easy to fall into trap of blaming the scary other (whether that be Obama, the scary liberals, Democrats or whatever)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

astrollinthepork posted:

Pretty much the same as now. These people are fundamentally cowards, they are the most aggresive when they have the upper hand. Al Gore was an effeminate ivory tower intellectual who peddled global warming for attention, John Kerry was an effeminate rich northeastern liberal who loved wine tasting, Martha's Vineyard and para sailing, and got a purple heart by whining about a minor scratch as he sat in safety.

Just like today, he pounded this stuff every single day, drawing on a bottomless well of southern accented callers to help him spit on the damned lefties and on the occasional meek, effeminate planted liberal caller to provoke, bully and terrorize for entertainment.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

astrollinthepork posted:

The same, only he went after Bush critics instead of Obama. He said the usual sexist/racist things. His low point was probably when he called troops who were critical of the Iraq invasion "phony troops". When he got called out he cowered and claimed he only meant one specific soldier who spoke out.

There's a video of him losing his poo poo on his radio show the day after the '08 election. If you can find it, watch it because it's beautiful.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He also had that infamous moment where he made fun of Michael J. Fox's Parkinson's, but I forget why he did that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

He also had that infamous moment where he made fun of Michael J. Fox's Parkinson's, but I forget why he did that.

Stem Cells, Fox said we need them to research poo poo like Parkinson's and he was having tremors during that ad. Rush proceeded to imply he was faking, mocked the tremors, and in general behave like an utter rear end.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Just wait a few minutes for O'Reilly to have one of his trademark :argh: momments. Then point out to your room mate how "emotional" O'Reilly's arguement is.
This never works. One thing in regards to how the far right operate in terms of their ideology that I've come to realize over time is that whenever they talk about "reason," what they actually mean are just their prejudices. Unless you already agree with them, nothing you can say to them will sound reasoned to them, no matter how well it is supported by actual facts and logic, because it doesn't conform to their already-existing prejudices. Note, for example, that this is also how Ayn Rand's brand of ideology worked.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

beatlegs posted:

The same, only he went after Bush critics instead of Obama. He said the usual sexist/racist things. His low point was probably when he called troops who were critical of the Iraq invasion "phony troops". When he got called out he cowered and claimed he only meant one specific soldier who spoke out.

There's a video of him losing his poo poo on his radio show the day after the '08 election. If you can find it, watch it because it's beautiful.

Is it the "water-carrying" remarks? I think I remember that the day after.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAPIKcuBn5U

Context High
Feb 28, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpFC9uziVhE&feature=related

The stated reason was "stem cells BAD", but I figure he went after MJF because of a sociopathic lack of empathy for other people. For a normal person, mocking Parkinson's disease would be a career killing move to become a pariah, but that's not how these guys operate. I know people who think that clip is hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Glitterbomber posted:

Stem Cells, Fox said we need them to research poo poo like Parkinson's and he was having tremors during that ad. Rush proceeded to imply he was faking, mocked the tremors, and in general behave like an utter rear end.

Fox stopped taking his pills before the ad so that it would capture the full range of what Parkinson's is like. Conservatives jumped on him and claimed that if he just took his meds he'd have nothing to complain about, because right-wing politics basically burns your empathy away until nothing is left.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

Fox stopped taking his pills before the ad so that it would capture the full range of what Parkinson's is like. Conservatives jumped on him and claimed that if he just took his meds he'd have nothing to complain about, because right-wing politics basically burns your empathy away until nothing is left.

Yea forgot that aspect, they took 'I stopped taking my medication so you can all see what it's like for people who can't get the pills, this is the actual disease that hurts people' and made it into "WHAT A FUCKIN FAKER GUYS HE WAS SO FULL OF poo poo"

Like, it really does take a special kind of piece of poo poo to do that.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The Michael J. Fox thing was a campaign ad for Claire McCaskill in her race for the U.S. Senate in Missouri which was very close, Fox made the ad because of the distinction between the positions on stem cell research between McCaskill and her GOP opponent, so that's why Limbaugh was trashing Fox.

The irony is that by coming off as such an rear end, Limbaugh amplified the ad's effectiveness by about a million-fold and, I think, helped McCaskill get elected by a significant degree. I don't know that the issue and Limbaugh's role in it was specifically polled to see what effect he had, though.

Edit -

Fox ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9WB_PXjTBo

Limbaugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpFC9uziVhE

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 28, 2012

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

astrollinthepork posted:

I don't remember if it was specifically him, but there was a pretty widespread thing in right wing media that literally any criticism of OUR COMMANDER IN CHIEF during wartime was tantamount to treason. They went hog wild over that "you can't change horses in midstream" poo poo too.

Well, we're still at war! God forbid anyone respect a Democrat president though. As soon as their guy was out, most of those same pundits flipped around and decided it was patriotic as gently caress to criticize a wartime president and patted eachother on the back for it when anyone tried to point out that double standard.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 28, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I don't remember if it was specifically him, but there was a pretty widespread thing in right wing media that literally any criticism of OUR COMMANDER IN CHIEF during wartime was tantamount to treason. They went hog wild over that "you can't change horses in midstream" poo poo too.

Well, we're still at war! God forbid anyone respect a Democrat president though. As soon as their guy was out, most of those same pundits flipped around and decided it was patriotic as gently caress to criticize a wartime president and patted eachother on the back for it when anyone tried to point out that double standard.

The biggest thing I remember from 2004 ie "you can't change a horse midstream" apparently that doent matter anymore. But I expect nothing they said about anything ever counts when t applies to the other side.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Yeah, during the '04 election in particular, right-wingers were getting really pissy if anyone criticized Bush over the Iraq war. I'm still convinced that if the election had been a year later he would have lost, thanks to Katrina and the Iraq situation spiraling into civil war by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
There was a definite undercurrent that every civilian somehow becomes subservient to the military command structure during a war, and the president is OUR GLORIOUS LEADER in wartime... so it's unpatriotic and anti-American and anti-troops to ever say anything bad about a war once it's going, or before it starts, or anytime really. I think a big part of that is good ol' chickenhawk bluster, trying to act like they're a critical part of the war effort when they're some fat millionaires sitting in a radio booth.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 28, 2012