Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I don't think there's any need to sugargoat or try to justify the fact that probably at least most of us here were really lovely about a group of people who are mostly perfectly fine. cartoon animals are pretty cool. I was a dick about it. just doing my best at being better than I used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah I mean logically furries only came about because of the Internet.
There definitely was no animated things with sexy animated animals before the Internet.
(Copy of Disney's Robin Hood vanishes.)

Oldest known furry media is cave paintings IIRC.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Half the Egyptian pantheon is some level of furry.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

neongrey posted:

I don't think there's any need to sugargoat or try to justify the fact that probably at least most of us here were really lovely about a group of people who are mostly perfectly fine. cartoon animals are pretty cool. I was a dick about it. just doing my best at being better than I used to be.

*Excellent* typo here.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

neongrey posted:

Not me, I had a secret furaffinity account and just posted through it, and I turned out completely fine. Ignore the fact that I make it part of my routine to actively listen to media that disparages me and the people I love and care about, surely that is a coincidence and isn't an unhealthy coping mechanism whatsoever

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Tweet thread kinda explaining the whole thing

https://twitter.com/punk_bnuuy/status/1781402590313365528?t=69rYuczwAvecjAtaHwMDaw&s=19

Tldr: took everything out of context then interviewed someone who doesnt even go to the school

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

neongrey posted:

Yeah, I'm genuinely thankful that I'm old enough and the early internet is dead enough that dumb high school me's shittier opinions have been lost to the dust of history.

Kids born post-social-media are just hosed forever, because corporation shave realized that they can profit by freezing your internet history in amber and selling it to other corporations. You'll never be able to get away from it.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Jesus Christ, can you even imagine getting targeted ads in your early 30s based on lovely edge lord posts and searches you made in your late teens

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Guy I work with related the litter box story to me one day from a second hand vantage point. Claims his friend has a wife who's a teacher here in NE FL and saw it happen. He's full of poo poo.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Froghammer posted:

Jesus Christ, can you even imagine getting targeted ads in your early 30s based on lovely edge lord posts and searches you made in your late teens

“Did Mr. T eat your balls? Well…”

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Silly Burrito posted:

“Did Mr. T eat your balls? Well…”

"You may be entitled to financial compensation!"

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Just non-stop ads for hardcore atheism podcasts and Evangelion body pillows

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Sergeant Rock posted:

*Excellent* typo here.

i saw it. looked at it. moved the cursor two lines up toward the word, and then thought better of it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Froghammer posted:

Given the 2003 GBS pantshitting pandemic, it would be a tsunami of adult diaper commercials.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The rare, good time to repost a NYPost headline.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1781866762654425121

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, I'm genuinely thankful that I'm old enough and the early internet is dead enough that dumb high school me's shittier opinions have been lost to the dust of history.

Kids born post-social-media are just hosed forever, because corporation shave realized that they can profit by freezing your internet history in amber and selling it to other corporations. You'll never be able to get away from it.

You can pretty easily delete your entire twitter and tumblr history.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

je1 healthcare posted:

You can pretty easily delete your entire twitter and tumblr history.

If someone already bought your history, they still have that copy.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Furries don't anyone going to bat for them, they're more wealthy and powerful than you could possibly imagine.

God have mercy on their enemies if they were ever to redirect their finances from commissioning artwork.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
tbh, the adage "the internet never forgets" kinda is a half truth. the internet only remembers as long as someone cares to remember and the hardware that holds it is usable, and even then sometimes bits of info become pseudo darknets if everything that used to link to it die and its users all leave. the internet is kinda like the biological era where trees and plants existed before decomposers and everything is buried.

like yeah forever data is probably a thing for corporate archives for inhouse stuff or b2b stuff.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
There's stuff from this very site that's already gone and probably never coming back, especially anything made with Flash

There are YouTube videos that were in my favorites that were taken down and I can't find again no matter what search terms I use

Decay is a real thing

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
decay is real if it can't make a data broker money

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Elephant Ambush posted:

There's stuff from this very site that's already gone and probably never coming back, especially anything made with Flash

There are YouTube videos that were in my favorites that were taken down and I can't find again no matter what search terms I use

Decay is a real thing

The sad thing about this is that they just show up as "deleted video" or something so you can't even tell what it used to be. Unless you watched it frequently or something.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

A friend of mine has a project to archive and make available as many panels and streams from conventions as humanly possible, and it's occationally shockingly difficult. Someone plays a copyrighted song for two minutes in the middle of an 8 hour panel room stream? Entire thing's muted sometimes. Stuff falls offline, it's possible to lose who's who on a panel even though they're right there, things like that. Archiving poo poo is nontrivial.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
That makes me think about what archaeology will be like centuries or millennia from now and you have to dig through digital data. What if some "lost" piece of data gets found on someone's old hard drive?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mustang posted:

That makes me think about what archaeology will be like centuries or millennia from now and you have to dig through digital data. What if some "lost" piece of data gets found on someone's old hard drive?

I am an archaeologist and this is a serious area of study within the field right now! Not only does it have implications for the ability to conduct research and access records in the future, but there are also questions about how you conceive of and conduct entirely-digital archaeologies, inferring the existence of lost or deleted digital artifacts via oblique references and the voids they leave behind, that kind of thing.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
One day, goatse will be viewed for the first time in five thousand years. What a glorious day that will be

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The Islamic Shock posted:

One day, goatse will be viewed for the first time in five thousand years. What a glorious day that will be

This is not a URL of honor.

What is linked is dangerous and repulsive.

This site is best left shunned and unvisited.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
they will puzzle over the religious meaning of the loss seven lines for decades

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

World Famous W posted:

they will puzzle over the religious meaning of the loss seven lines for decades

It seems to have had ritual significance

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The future's Rosetta Stone will be the rediscovery of the house of a boomer who printed out years of epic trump memes before getting buried in a mudslide.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Gonna start printing and cataloguing all of my internet arguments a la Ea-nāṣir

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Islamic Shock posted:

Goatse will be the Venus of Willdendorf in 4,000 years.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Panfilo posted:

Goatse will be the Venus of Willdendorf in 4,000 years.

I feel like goatse will be more like cave paintings or such. The Venus and its ilk are more like dildos and sex arses, carriable physical objects. Or hentai resin statues. I'm sure there will be plenty of those left thousands of years from now. Like several sea containers worth littering every ocean.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/RU_SpaceMarine/status/1781799274571092338?t=z_pUHBR2wuqjRRjPpE6Njg&s=19
This has started to crop up a lot lately. This idea conservatives have that being a good Samaritan is simply too risky, because they'll inevitably get charged with murder instead of the actual criminal facing any consequences. We could argue it's a form of passive violence, one born of apathy towards vulnerable groups.

It's also very telling how the risk of physical harm never factors into these decisions for them, but rather social backlash- "they'll punish me and not the robber" "the woman will accuse me of molesting her if I try to pull her out of oncoming traffic".

You'd think if they were so noble then they'd be willing to take the social risk in the name of doing the right thing. But much like protests, it feels like a post hoc justification for their own craven nature. Admitting "I wouldn't be able to fight that guy off" would make them look weak.

Which in part is why they're so obsessed with using guns in made up self defense scenarios. Guns are a big equalizer obviously. Some good Samaritan going all dirty Harry on the robber could justify any mishaps by blaming it on the robber-- "The criminal valued the victims money more than he valued his/her life".

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
People who don't help others because they fear the consequences would never have helped anyway.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It's being able to make multiple performative statements in tandem while taking absolutely no risk whatsoever. "The system is corrupt, and favors criminals and degenerates over good, honorable Americans" combined with "Someone should give those criminals and degenerates what they deserve, good and hard" combined with jawing on X rather than ever being in any scenario where some responsibility would be expected of you.

I also don't think it's a right-wing thing, specifically. I mean, this issue is, absolutely, but the general approach of "I can posture about something, and then use another bit of posturing to both affirm my professed values while justifying not actually doing anything ever" is all over X on both sides of the aisle with plenty of so-called leftists willing to tell you how it's actually very leftist to never volunteer or protest or organize.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Panfilo posted:

It's also very telling how the risk of physical harm never factors into these decisions for them, but rather social backlash- "they'll punish me and not the robber" "the woman will accuse me of molesting her if I try to pull her out of oncoming traffic".

You'd think if they were so noble then they'd be willing to take the social risk in the name of doing the right thing. But much like protests, it feels like a post hoc justification for their own craven nature. Admitting "I wouldn't be able to fight that guy off" would make them look weak.

Which in part is why they're so obsessed with using guns in made up self defense scenarios. Guns are a big equalizer obviously. Some good Samaritan going all dirty Harry on the robber could justify any mishaps by blaming it on the robber-- "The criminal valued the victims money more than he valued his/her life".

Guns as equalizer and enabler for instant death sentence. Otherwise, "I wouldn't be able to fight that guy off" becomes "if I stepped in I would literally and heroically choke the human scum to death like he deserves. No parades necessary, folks, but please invite me anyway."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Space Fish posted:

Guns as equalizer and enabler for instant death sentence. Otherwise, "I wouldn't be able to fight that guy off" becomes "if I stepped in I would literally and heroically choke the human scum to death like he deserves. No parades necessary, folks, but please invite me anyway."
These internet tough guys believe that letting everyday citizens heroically dome a mugger will create a precedent in which these kinds of crimes run the risk of some bystander killing the offender, and thus will exist as a passive deterrent. They like to point out how violent crime went down in places where "constitutional carry" got ratified.

Jesus III posted:

People who don't help others because they fear the consequences would never have helped anyway.
Oh definitely. Which is why the occasional "good Samaritan" stories make such good news fodder- intervening in such a situation takes initiative, courage, and conviction. And these internet tough guys have none.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

skeleton warrior posted:

It's being able to make multiple performative statements in tandem while taking absolutely no risk whatsoever. "The system is corrupt, and favors criminals and degenerates over good, honorable Americans" combined with "Someone should give those criminals and degenerates what they deserve, good and hard" combined with jawing on X rather than ever being in any scenario where some responsibility would be expected of you.

I also don't think it's a right-wing thing, specifically. I mean, this issue is, absolutely, but the general approach of "I can posture about something, and then use another bit of posturing to both affirm my professed values while justifying not actually doing anything ever" is all over X on both sides of the aisle with plenty of so-called leftists willing to tell you how it's actually very leftist to never volunteer or protest or organize.

Yes I just call them Virtue Signallers. They hate that for some reason!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Oh definitely. Which is why the occasional "good Samaritan" stories make such good news fodder- intervening in such a situation takes initiative, courage, and conviction. And these internet tough guys have none.

Time to pull out my favourite headline again:

Texas 'good guy with a gun' shoots carjacking victim in head -- then runs away

quote:

Police officials say that two men jumped the owner of a Chevrolet pickup truck and absconded with his vehicle.

As the men struggled with the car-owner, a passerby produced a gun and fired multiple shots, missing the thieves but striking the victim in the head.

The shooter quickly gathered up his shell casings from the pavement and fled the scene.