Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

deptstoremook posted:

I know you're dreaming or joking, but I think instead of just complaining about the right wing and how delusional they are, this thread is a good place to examine the messaging of the right, how it has gone forward almost unimpeded since Reagan, and why the real left in America can't (or, in my opinion, won't) adopt the methods, techniques, or rhetoric of the right.
The right-wing messaging machine works because it preys on fear and cognitive dissonance; things that (justifiably) repel most leftists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

You probably mean this:

http://observer.com/2013/03/why-roger-ailes-let-glenn-beck-go/

It says a lot when you're too crazy for Fox News.

quote:

The final straw was the mass rally Beck staged at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington. Beck was already despised by many blacks for speculating that Obama hated white people. Convening a mass gathering at the site of Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech—and featuring King’s niece, the Reverend Alveda King, delivering a conservative “I have a dream” message of her own—was infuriating to many viewers. Ailes didn’t like it much, either. When Al Sharpton called him to complain, Sharpton was surprised to hear Ailes say he would “take care” of it.

Ailes’s method was patience and diplomacy. “To be fair, Glenn showed signs of wanting to leave,” he said. “He felt restricted here. Sometimes he seemed too busy to concentrate on the show. And his emulating Martin Luther King was over the top.”
Hey, maybe Roger Ailes isn't such a bad guy after all! Maybe he has moral principles! Maybe he...

quote:

Not only that: An advertising boycott organized by ColorOfChange.org hurt revenues, and Beck’s ratings declined after his march on Washington.
Whoops! Never mind! Business as usual.

And the final, petty pièce de résistance:

quote:

“I could have done it in a harder way, but I didn’t want to give MoveOn and Media Matters the satisfaction,” [Ailes] told me.
Why the siege mentality, Roger? If you're doing nothing wrong, then why be ashamed of it? Isn't that what your anchors said about warrantless wiretaps during the Bush years?

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

No, it was two separate things. Beyonce sang at the White House or something, if I'm not mistaken, and lip-synced a song.
Obama's Second Inauguration.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

More about [allegedly] left-wing media shifting the Overton window than right-wing media, but apparently Chuck Todd said that it's not the media's job to say that the GOP is full of poo poo on Obamacare because they have 'out-messaged' Obama on it:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/did-chuck-todd-really-say-media-not-responsible-to-correct-obamacare-falsehoods/

PeterWeller posted:

Except, according to that article, Chuck Todd didn't really say that.
I dunno, after reading the entire article all I see is a lot of hair-splitting. The most charitable interpretation of Todd's remarks is that he doesn't believe that the media should be blamed for failures in Democratic messaging.

Frankly, I think that claim is bullshit. "Messaging" does not occur in a vacuum. There's no way to separate "messaging" from "the media"; the two are inextricably linked. If you, as a media organization, give "equal time" to the Truth and to the Lie, you bear some responsibility when the Lie overtakes the Truth. You are actively subverting the messaging of the Truth.

Tibeerius fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 20, 2013

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

drat, I posted this in the wrong thread!

Crosspost:

Is this old news to you all?

The news about the newest Lois Lerner e-mails is coming out and in it she is lamenting right wing whackos and assholes and crazies (her words) taking "us" down. From the context she is pretty clearly implying us = "Republicans."

The demon IRS bitch who hates Tea Baggers is... a Republican. Was this common knowledge? Can she be hoisted on her petard as an establishment Republican now? Can we agree that this means she would probably not be inclined to act on the orders of some Democrat in the WH?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/07/30/new_irs_bombshell_lois_lerner_bemoaned_right_wing_crazies.html

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/irs-lois-lerner-email-crazies-109544.html

The question was asked what she meant by, "we." I think it's pretty clear from the context that she means moderate/establishment Republicans as opposed to Tea Baggers and RWM radio personalities. I admit I could be wrong.
Uh, unless there is additional context, it seems much more likely to me that the "we" Lerner was referring to was "the United States", not "the Republican party". Especially since

The Slate article posted:

Earlier emails released by the panel suggested [Lerner] was a Democrat.

Tibeerius fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 31, 2014