Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
i've just been passing it around with a nice futurama gif, so that everyone is properly primed for good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

active clubs for active shooters

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

:umberto:

it's not about ideological consistency; it never has been and never will be

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

FFT posted:

They were probably invented in France, though, if Spain didn't do it first.

belgium is what i always heard

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

feel a little bad for that lawyer, like not a ton, but that rear end in a top hat was entitled to legal representation and it seems like what he got was someone who actually had his well being in mind before he pissed it away

if it had actually been self defense (it wasn't) even the acquittal would have been a huge millstone around the neck of anyone that young with that little education if they wanted a life and not a grift

welp

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

PT6A posted:

I feel quite bad for him, to be honest. Even the worst assholes in society deserve a zealous defense within the limits of the law, I don't think you can blame a criminal defense attorney for having a client who has legitimately done terrible things, and I don't think you can blame them for taking every available legal avenue to provide a defense. You can, of course, be quite upset that this quality of representation is available on a very unequal basis, but that's a separate issue.

I think this attorney quite rightly resents his former client for taking an unimaginable boon, a wealth of funds and effort spend first on his defense and then on providing the opportunity to move on with his life, and pissing it away because he's too loving dumb, and I get why he feels that way. I've seen similar things in my line of work, and if you are committed to the job you do, you don't like watching someone treat your efforts and expertise with utter contempt.

yeah that's really true. it sucks a lot to see that much of a sincere effort completely flushed down the drain like that. I don't think the kid was worth going to such lengths beyond the defense itself but it really does sound like the lawyer got taken for a ride here too

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I don't think there's any need to sugargoat or try to justify the fact that probably at least most of us here were really lovely about a group of people who are mostly perfectly fine. cartoon animals are pretty cool. I was a dick about it. just doing my best at being better than I used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Sergeant Rock posted:

*Excellent* typo here.

i saw it. looked at it. moved the cursor two lines up toward the word, and then thought better of it