Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This is such a dumbass argument. Older relatives are always like "when you have kids, you'll understand" or "you just don't know what it's like to protect your daughter".

Just tell them "if you can't explain it, you don't understand it either." But good luck pulling that on a parent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Slow Graffiti posted:

That I agree with. People expressly using Colbert and TDS for their news is quite sad. I'd like to hope that people were smarter than that. However, I'm old enough to realize that's just a dream. Still, that Steve Almond seems like a real sanctimonious poo poo to me.

The Daily Show's old advertising slogan used to be "The Daily Show, where more Americans get their news than probably should."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

kik2dagroin posted:

Backstory

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/14/quick_hits_page

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...nspiracy_theory
:bahgawd: What is up with the lamestream media targeting me? I didn't say what they said that I said *goes on for about 2 hours saying exactly what he claims he didn't say*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHPQYqazXfM

Sure, let's break down the video of Hillary Clinton (D) in detail and draw conclusions based on things she didn't actually say...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

radical meme posted:

I've always thought that if anything should bother people about Benghazi its this. I just don't understand how diplomats can be asked to be in a location that doesn't provide a modicum of obviously necessary protection. Hell, a simple safe room at this shithole of a location would have saved the diplomats lives. The guards, doing what guards are supposed to do, might have still died but the diplomats would have had a really good chance of surviving. Did we not even have enough money to put a safe room in?

They had a safe room, unfortunately the building was on fire.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I say we go for Bill Ayers on the 10, Reggie Love on the 5 and Sandra Fluke on the 1 for peak GOP freak out

Obama on the new $3 bill.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ErIog posted:

Right wing media has been fearmongering about gay fascists again!

And let me guess, nobody on the right is screaming about the sanctity of marriage over a non-religious entity performing marriages. Sure, no need to got to a church, just so long as it's not Adam and Steve.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Those wimpy, sissy gays would never want a gun. Unlike manly hetero badass Ben Shapiro who's terrified of being beat up by a woman.

Those who do can consult Blazing Sword for LGBT-friendly firearms instructors.

https://www.facebook.com/OperationBlazingSword/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

There's a missed opportunity here. They could have just said "the current flag only" and avoided a lot of trouble.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Fake edit: The same news blip also mentioned a massive infrastructure spending project which, if true and done the right way, I can get behind but it'll be weird watching the same assholes that lambasted Obama for stimulus spending suddenly cheerlead for The Donald J. Trump Expressway and Big League Boulevard and the mental gymnastics they'll undergo to explain why government spending is good and creating jobs.

Bad news. The Trump infrastructure bill will be tax breaks for developers. He'll give tax dollars to some already rich crony to repair a bridge... and make it a toll crossing. They make a profit, we pay.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

They're kinda not kidding about Nixon though. Things like the EPA and Lifeline telephone service were passed by GOP elected officials and signed by Nixon so the left wing couldn't take credit for them. It was a pretty well calculated strategy to appear less evil. It failed, nobody remembers those were GOP initiatives.

So start correcting people; they aren't Obamaphones, they're Nixon phones.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Sheer comedy. This rant has it all. Jews! Liberals! "Do-gooders!" As if it's some kind of goose-stepping Snidely Whiplash. It'd be a masterpiece of postmodern art, were it not for the massive influence it has oh half the body politic.

quote:

High noon to remove family members from the White House, exception Trump's wife..

Who is never there anyway.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Xibanya posted:

Today in RWM! :suicide101:

Daily Caller with the Nixon reference !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

This may be a bit dated, but are televangelists considered right wing media? I haven't followed any in more than a decade, but I grew up watching a fair bit of them and was especially tuned into the their theories on the coming rapture and the political events that would usher in the return of Christ. I remember them going a bit apeshit about the formation of the European Union being the reformation of a new Holy Roman Empire and somehow Russia would be a friend to the US after being an enemy and then back to an enemy and join up with China or whoever to amass an army of 600 million men or whatever to take on Israel in the End Times. It's obviously a pretty conservative evangelical audience that was down with all that prophetic interpretation and to look back at that prophecy played out and compare to conservative boot licking of Putin, Brexit and their hopes the EU falling apart before even approaching whatever reformed Holy Roman Empire they imagined and its just amusing to me. I can't remember who all was really big in to the End Times poo poo other than Jack Van Impe, does he still exist?

Yes they are. If you're interested in them, I'd say take a look at the Slacktivist blog. Fred Clark is an Evangelical Christian, but he isn't a jerk about it. He's got some of the sharpest insights on the web about social issues and religion.

And he's famous for the most detailed and longest-running Let's Read around: Tim La Haye's Left Behind series.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2015/11/05/left-behind-index-the-whole-thing/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I think all his callers are staged anyway.

I also discovered accidentally on the first dial try that his number must be one or two digits off from a transexual phone sex line because that's what I got on my first dial. True story.

It could just be the same call center and someone read the wrong script.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Guys, Fox News is not happy that Superman is protecting undocumented aliens from getting shot by racist White people:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/09/13/superman-defends-illegals-against-angry-american.html

When you're lining up against Superman, you're one of the baddies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Wang_Tang posted:

Like the above, except with FDR and the Nazis. This somehow means Democrats are Nazis. This only works if you ignore FDR declaring war on the Nazis.

Fact check: Hitler declared war on the US shortly after Pearl Harbor in accordance with a treaty obligation to Japan.

The correct example is FDR promoting Lend Lease and making sure the people fighting Germany could get lots of guns, planes, tanks, and trucks. If you want obscure, FDR also had the US Navy hunting U-Boats in the Western Atlantic (and US warships being sunk) before the declaration of war. FDR continually pushed the limit of what a neutral country could do to fight Naziism.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ceiling fan posted:

I'm actually curious about that. What kind of story is Fox ect. trying to stir up to try and avoid talking about Trump today?

Edit: Rats. I didn't bookmark the link for the frontpage image grab site. Doesn't help I can't remember how to spell the author's user name.

https://xibanya.github.io/frontpages/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Wasn't that the plot of last week's episode of The Orville

Yes it was.

And that's real, it's the pinned post on her Facebook. And yes, she has a book out,

https://www.facebook.com/greta

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

That's pretty much it. Tried looking for specifics but there were a lot of deleted tweets.

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/935629381560516608

I'm sorry I missed that, a few -$14.88 donations would have helped with Christmas shopping and seasonal charitable donations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SpeakSlow posted:

Tell it to the BBC.

I see what you did there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Kenzie posted:

You know what kind of humor I don't see anymore? Leslie Nielson-style humor, like the Naked Gun movies or Airplane! or even Monty Python. Not necessarily jokes at other peoples' expense, but just stupid, absurdist humor. Does anything like that exist anymore?

There's been some of that in The Orville, which turned out to not be Family Guy in space. I'm thinking in particular of the practical joke sequence.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ceiling fan posted:

Johnny Rico was the socialite son of an incredibly rich old wealth family. He had a guaranteed slot at Harvard. It makes some extremely pointed arguments that merit and earning your place is worth more than heritage and nepotism. Especially considering the extremely pointed digs against communist systems.

Johnny's dad was basically a 1%-er, but couldn't vote because he wasn't willing to put his own goals on hold for 2-4 years and do some sort of public service. And people are actually hating on this society. Ok, there is the corporal punishment, but they seem to take it seriously, if not solemnly, and not pass out lashes willy-nilly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

perhaps his stage presence is better than his jokes

Delivery does count for a lot. In this case, it must.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I honestly can never tell if Kanye is doing a bit or not

he's getting called out,

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

People way into 40k think they'd be a Space Marine or a Inquisitor, where at best they might make it though an hour as part of some first wave of and Imperial Guard attack. More likely they'd be working 18 hours in some factory or a Servitor. The whole point about the Imperium is that its incredibly lovely and horrible and every second of life is a nightmare. Straight up in one of the myriad of books GW has published it straight up says "the Imperium is the most repressive and bloody regime in human history". But isn't that always the fantasy with these types? They think they'll be the ones on top, lording over the serfs or proles. That all those they don't like or have wronged them will be their inferiors.

I got to watch a beautiful 40k fan meltdown on Facebook. A fan site, probably Bell of Souls, reported that GW was planning to release some more female characters, including a plastic squad of Sisters of Battle. GW has been getting back into the smaller skirmish games like Necromunda or the forthcoming Kill Team, and I think a squad of Sisters would be cool to play.

Nope. SJWs wanted it, so it's ruining everything. After a couple of hundred comments in a couple of hours the admins finally locked the thread. I kept hounding the poor bastard, "I want a thing, why are you saying you don't want me to have it ?" and getting variations on "SJWs ruin everything ! Never give them an inch !" The butthurt was incredible, I wish I'd taken screenshots.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Polygynous posted:

There's already semi-intentionally hilarious reality shows, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHOog45llUU

That's a pro-click. Dude goes from macho gun-haver to blubbering weenie in nothing flat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Oh, god no. The garden of Eden is why women are to be subservient to men, because the first time they took the lead they hosed everything up.

This has always baffled me. The snake had to reason Eve into eating the apple. Then she told Adam and he's just "lol, ok". Somehow Eve is supposed to be the problem here.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

happyhippy posted:

And that God did not want you to know about being good.
At all.
Ever.

Plan A. Create heaven & earth, plunk Adam down in the Garden of Eden as caretaker.
Plan B1. That's not a one-person job. Adam needs a helpmeet. Create Eve.
Plan B2. Oh yeah, they should leave the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil alone.
Plan B3. After they eat it, walk through the Garden of Eden looking for them. Fail.
Plan C. Kick Adam & Eve out of the Garden of Eden. That's all we got at this stage,
Plan D. Their descendants got up to some bullshit. Kill all of them except for the members of this one family and a mated pair of every animal; which has to make it to the Fertile Crescent under their own power, and then back home after the Flood. Promise never to do that again.
Plan E. Decide you've been a jerk. Incarnate on Earth as your own son. Sacrifice yourself to redeem the descendants of that one guy's family.
Plan F. Punish people who masturbate.

Anytime I hear someone mention "God's plan" I get really twitchy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

you guys are way overthinking it

the conservative war against modern and contemporary art is entirely a creation of jesse helms going after the gays (robert mapplethorpe) and the sacrilegious (andres serrano)

Any time you're in Manhattan, make time to visit the Guggenheim. It'll be chock full of incredible art, the Mapplethorpe Gallery in particular,

I say that even though I got kicked out once.

I refilled an exhibit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Relentless posted:

Historical context be damned.

The historical context is, at least after the conviction is, there actually was something in that drink.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

those are pictures of a guy who's definitely held guns in his life prior

And will again !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Slutitution posted:

Comrade... Coulter?

We have actually lived to see the day where Ann loving Coulter is more reasonable on War and Taxes than 95% of the Democrat Party and the media. You should be proud of yourselves you utterly incompetent worthless pieces of loving poo poo.

She's not being reasonable about the US being in Tunisia in 1943, we were there to kill Nazis. We captured upwards of a quarter million Nazi soldiers, killed 50-100,000, shot down 1000 Luftwaffe planes, destroyed hundreds of tanks, and made them waste a shitton of oil and supplies. All men and material that the Nazis could have really used on the Eastern Front. If she doesn't think that worked out, then she's openly sympathizing with the Nazis. Again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Rainbow Knight posted:

I looked up the other day the amount of money the average person in the US makes in their lifetime and it's like 1.5 million. It's horrifying

If you worked from age 20 to 80 at an average salary of $166,000 AND they gave it to you all at once, not a penny of it would be taxed at 70%.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I... gently caress.

Good video. Subscribed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Richard Nixon helped start the EPA.

And signed the Lifeline program into law to give poor seniors cheap phone service. When people started calling Lifeline cellphones Obama phones I started correcting them to Nixon Phones.

How the hell are you supposed to get a job without a phone number and Internet access anyway.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

This is Stefan. His name is Stefan. HARDEN THE gently caress UP STEFAN.

For the uninitiated,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruKgZwPN-rE&t=52s

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Munin posted:

The same people who think the crash test of an old steel behemoth vs a modern (then) car was rigged.

For reference,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

In the world of South Park Cartman can spew antisemitism Non-Stop and it never brings any harm to Kyle, it never inspires any violent acts targeted at random Jews. It's just a joke, the meeningless words of a bratty 10 year old.

Very true. South Park owes the public an episode where Cartman inspires or provokes an attack on a synagogue or mosque. AND, it's seen as his fault.

Personally, I'd like to see more coverage on attacks on Sikhs. They're aren't Muslim, but they do wear turbans. That has lead to an appalling number of idiots who hate Muslims going after Sikhs by mistake. It sucks that they were going to do something evil, but to miss their intended target because they idiots just makes the act more painful.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/09/14/us/sikh-hate-crimes-list/index.html

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Feinne posted:

That last one is especially delicious in a 'I want to murder that person for Graph Crimes' sort of way.

There's a book called How To Lie With Statistics. It's a great breakdown of statistics as a topic, very useful, and it goes over many common techniques for using true numbers to bullshit the audience.

Nothing in that book (which you should have a copy of, no, seriously) is remotely as egregious as this:

Look at the y-axis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

quote:

Don't say "the murder of innocent black people by police is terrible, but the property damage has to stop", say instead "the property damage is terrible, but the murder of innocent black people by police has to stop."

Otherwise you're putting property ahead of the lives of people whose ancestors were property.